The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Exceller Fund - Selway - great news!!!   Horse Rescue Issues

Started 6/24/07 by ExcellerFund; 9 views.
ExcellerFund

6/24/07

Great news on the rescue of Selway!  This horse would up with a dealer in New York who was unable to find a private buyer.  Time was up for this handsome 5 year old bay gelding and his future looked bleak.  We got a temporary "stay" by contacting the dealer to advise that we were working arrangements to secure him.  The call was just in time because a truck headed into Canada on Friday with a load of horses for slaughter.

We contacted Alex to see if he knew of anyone with connections to this horse.  Alex made some contacts, and they contacted people who contacted the breeder.  I received a call this morning from a VERY GRATEFUL breeder who thanked us for saving this gelding that she described a "very kind." 

The breeder is sending a check to cover our expenses for securing the horse from the dealer and transport to a temporary foster home in New York.  She was horrified at the thought of this horse being sent to slaughter, and told me that in 30 years, nothing like this has ever happened to her before.

The area where the horse is in New York is a tough, tough area for finding adoptive homes.  We hope that within a month we can transport him to the Maryland or Pennsulvania area where his build and ability (he is reported to be sound and able to jump!) will get him noticed by some great adoptors!

THANK YOU ALEX!!!!  Thank you Barbaro for starting this tremendous movement knows as the Fans of Barbaro.  What a great network of people!

Edited to add - I also wish to acknowledge and thank the person associated with the dealer who works hard to find private buyers for these horses.  She has helped find homes for 100's of horses over the years.  She has alerted us to a number of very nice horses that we have obtained from the dealer to prevent them from going to slaughter.  She prefers to remain anonymous, but she is the one who looked up the horse's information and let us know about him and gave suggestions about finding a way to contact the breeder.  So - you know who you are and THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!  Without your hard work, so many more horses would have been lost.

• Edited 6/24/2007 10:24 pm by ExcellerFund

6/24/07

Wonderful news!

6/24/07

That's GREAT news!!!!

6/24/07

Great news that his breeder stepped up to help him out.

Just a little note though, I live in NY, and have done most of my life, and we have lots of Hunters and Jumpers and Eventers here.

Msg 5 of 17 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 4
ExcellerFund

6/24/07

Angela,

Please be sure to have your friends take a look at our "Riding Potential" horses in available for adoption.

http://www.excellerfund.org/horses/ride.htm

Thanks!

Bonnie Mizrahi, President
The Exceller Fund
Providing a Future Beyond the Finish Line sm
(818)429-3418
  • Edited 6/24/2007 6:50 pm by ExcellerFund
MJ42903

6/24/07

This is such great news!  Thank you Exceller Fund and ALEX!!!!
In reply toRe: msg 6

6/24/07

Amazing save!  That's so nice the breeder stepped up and paid his bail.  Sadly if she bred many horses probably more HAVE gone that way, she just didn't know about it.  At least she cares.  

6/24/07

Bonnie it looks like there are 4 that are in NY and are sound for jumping?

Midnight Rukus, Wild Eyed Bill, Distant Kid and G&G?

6/24/07

Wonderful news!

FOBS building the bridges of safety for all our horses!

cbailis

6/24/07

Any chance of recruiting the breeder to join the FOBs in lobbying for the passing of the AHSPA?