The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Who are we rescuing???   Horse Rescue Issues

Started 7/7/07 by BevStrauss; 515 views.

10/26/08

I am with all of you on here...it's when your horse suddenly goes permanently lame, or can no longer function without pain this stuff comes up.. and it IS more humane to find someone who will let you pay them to dig a big hole in a nice field if you don't have one of your own; and hire a backhoe and call the vet after the horse has had a few days of all of his favorite everythings and all the bute needed to make those days good ones..

But sadly even vets will try to talk you out of this option sometimes...it's incredible, but some of them don't realize how bad things can go I guess if one doesn't take on this painful but ultimately much kinder thing oneself..I learned the hard way and I will never forget it.

People can say, oh but it's so expensive; that is why many don't do it..sorry... It is not just horse people who do it with relatively expensive animals to euthanize humanely. It is also cats and dogs. I have worked in rescue for them too and it is tragic how many are brought into Animal Control old, blind, with "behaviour" problems, etc... some people can't even bear to admit it's their dog, and will claim they found it stray! So they can save the 35. bucks or whatever to relinquish it. Or worse; they just throw it out on the street, telling themselves it better to "let it go" where someone Might pick it up, etc...

Then they end up starving, abused, run over, etc. And in the Animal Control eventually if they are lucky, but in much worse shape and less adoptable.

It is our throwaway culture I think. People don't take responsibility for the hard stuff in our culture..they pass the buck. It's a national past-time.

I think the BEST way to make this go away is to SHOW IT in all it's gory reality to people so they KNOW this is going on, and MUST address it and pressure those who own animals to take responsibility. The worst thing is for it to remain hidden..that is how it remains viable.. it is out of sight, out of mind.

thanks to all for what you do.

Msg 155 of 155 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 120

10/26/08

Well, since this thread was resurrected, I had to go back and read it all. The following caught my attention--

"Color breeds need to allow only horses with proper color to breed (no more "breeding stock solid paints and appaloosa's etc). "

In breeds like Appaloosas and Paints, breeding is "closed" to only certain allowed breeds/bloodlines, and in Appaloosas at least, all breeding animals must be registered and DNA typed----so there is a documented pedigree requirement, meaning they are more than just a "color" breed.  Also, the genetic nature of Appaloosa patterns (and some paint patterns) means that a breeder WILL get solids from time to time. If registration and/or breeding of solids was denied, it would mean MORE throwaway horses.

Besides that, with both Appaloosas and Paints, some solids can carry genetics that enhance color or pattern production when bred to a colored mate. Some of the 'prettiest" most "ideal" color is produced using one solid parent.

The Appaloosa is a breed with a color preference--  there are basic breeding rules that require one parent be colored. Once the rules are met, selection for breeding should be for quality-- color is the bonus. ApHC also allows solids to be shown, if the owner applies for and buys a Performance Permit. That way, even though they are not the "ideal",  solids can have value and purpose in the breed, and can retain their identity.