MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

FOB TB's from Thurmont UPDATE   Horse Rescue Updates

Started by Guest; 24 views.

7/8/07

Hi Everyone -

I know I keep saying this, but thank you all again!  Both horses pulled from Thurmont on Friday night because of all of you are doing very well.  Lemons is probably one of the sweetest mares I've ever known and wants nothing more than to have us loving on her and giving her attention.  She took her bath like a champ, stood stock still while Andrea pulled her mane, is eating like a champ and loves treats!  Lemons picks up all 4 feet without hesitation and just loves everyone and everything.  Looking at her teeth, we are estimating her to be around 20 - will know better once our vet comes out this week. She has completely calmed down and is as content as could be.  No more colic threats after yesterdays little episode, but Andrea is still keeping a super close eye on her just to be sure.  Andrea & Johanna absolutely LOVE her!  She weighs about 900+ lbs, poor kid and is sticking at 16 hands.  Not to worry though, she'll be looking fantastic in no time.  Andrea has her on a specialized feeding program.

Harlequin is doing great as well and has really taken a liking to my daughter Jessica - we all took a walk around the property yesterday and he was as good as gold.  At one point, I was trying to get my soda out of the console of my husband's truck and Harley had his head right in the truck looking around, lol!  He is such an inquisitive boy and wants to see and know all that is going on.  He LOVES attention - I mean LOVES it.  He has the softest and most grateful brown eyes and your heart just melts in your chest when he looks at you as if to say "Hey, thanks a lot".  He is settling in very nicely, but boy does he want to meet the other horses.  He's got a thing for our QH filly Morgainne and when he see's her in her pasture from his paddock, his eyes lock on her, ears perk up and he just stares. 

My one concern is that he is not urinating anywhere near what he is drinking.  I spoke to our vet last night on the phone and he will be out a.s.a.p. - we will pull blood on both Lemons and Harley as emaciation can cause an array of internal problems, BUT, he did pee like a race horse this morning, which made me VERY happy!  Everything else looks normal - his teeth need to be done a.s.a.p. too and I am hoping that our vet will be able to do them on his appointment this week if he feels he is up to having them done.  I am estimating his age to be between 5 and 7 by his teeth and my 11 year old said the same, which made me very proud - he's learning well!  He's a little tough about picking up his back feet, but that is par for the course with many horses we've rescued - that is their means of flight and something that comes with work and trust.  I haven't had one yet that gave up their feet easily, but they learn quickly and I'm sure he will too.  He didn't try to kill me, but definitely didn't want them picked up.  He is also a wind sucker, meaning he grabs onto wood, pulls back and gulps air.  We will be at The Mill of Bel Air first thing tomorrow morning to get him a collar as wind sucking can be unhealthy.  It can cause colic, as well as ruin their teeth and cause them to lose weight by feeling full from air in their belly.  I knew that he was probably a wind sucker at the auction because he had two very large bulging muscles on either side of the neck which is usually the tell tale sign.  From latching and pulling back, it builds those muscles up alot and they bulge from being so large.  It is not horrible, but it is definitely something that can't be let go for the horses sake.  The good thing is that he is eating and loving his food - we're starting him slowly, but he's doing well.  I can say this, he is going to be one gorgeous horse once his weight is on and he is cleaned up. 

We are working on trying to read their tattoo's so that we can run them through the JC and find out who they are.  It is always nice to give a horse their identity back.  It'll be interesting to know who they are and I can't wait, but the tattoo's are very faded....Bonnie from The Exceller Fund (who has been a great source of moral support to us with the TB's!!) has given us a few tricks to try to read them and as soon as we figure them out, we'll let everyone know. 

FOB's, we could not have done this without all of you - we are in the middle of a huge move to our own farm and finances have been tight trying to get things set up at the new place, however, we will be able to do so much more for the horses once we do get in there and get situated.  From the bottom of all of our hearts, thank you to each and every one of you - both those who helped financially and those who helped fundraise and gave moral support and prayers for these two beautiful souls.  You are such a strong, amazing and super supportive group of caring horse lovers.

In the original thread about these horses, I posted about donations because we'd like to know how to proceed with them.  We did not expect prices to go so low for the two of them, the mare went for $160 and the gelding went for $200.  We could definitely use the help for their veterinary, dental, farrier and feeding care, but don't want to go ahead and do so unless everyone is ok with that.  We have discussed the situation here and have decided that if everyone would like us to use the remainder of the donations towards the care of Harley and Lemons, we will continuously roll those funds over to continue saving TB's in the name of the Friends of Barbaro and as the horses get adopted, it will be an ongoing forever thing to pull TB's in danger.

As always, receipts for their purchase, care, vet, farrier, feed, etc....care will always be available if anyone would like to see them - we feel it is only fair to keep everyone as in the loop as possible as it was only through all of your help and kindness that we were able to help these horses out of the misery they were living.

We would also like to extend an open invitation to all to come visit the horses that you saved - we are located in Bel Air, Maryland :>)

We are hoping to have our local paper come out to do a story on both Harley and Lemons and what The Friends of Barbaro did to save them & so many other horses, as well as Pure Thoughts and Camille, Beth at Cozee Valee, everyone - it is absolutely amazing how all of you jumped to get these two angels to safety so quickly and the story should be told - of course, if that is ok with all of you.

I'm literally sitting here with tears in my eyes writing this because of the generosity and care that all of you extend to help horses all over in need - you are truly an amazing group of people.

Thank you, so much, from Harley & Lemons and all of us at Celtic Rein.

Stephany

Stephany Asta-Ferrero

Co-Founder & Executive Director

Celtic Rein Equine Rescue & Sanctuary, Inc.

Bel Air, Maryland

• Edited 7/8/2007 3:04 pm ET by Celtic_Rein
Msg 2 of 49 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1
midknight1

7/8/07

Thanks for the update Steph - I am so glad that they are doing well.  Please use my donation to help with the continuing care that these 2 will need over the next few months and thank you so much for saving them.  Looking forward to seeing additional pictures, especially when they start to gain some weight.

Jen

7/8/07

Thank you Jen - I promise to keep the updates coming and will also have a page for them on our website very soon.  They are both such sweethearts.

Steph

Stephany Asta-Ferrero

Bel Air, Maryland

Msg 4 of 49 to GuestGuest 
Snudgie

7/8/07

I put a check in the mail for them yesterday.  Please use the money as you see fit.  It was an honor to be able to help these 2!

Diane

P.S.  I would like to come visit after your move!

• Edited 7/8/2007 4:37 pm ET by Snudgie

7/8/07

Thank you Diane - they will both get the absolute best of care and as I said, when they are able to be adopted, we will take the adoption funds and use them to continue saving TB's in danger in honor of the FOB's from here onward.

Stephany Asta-Ferrero

Bel Air, Maryland

Msg 6 of 49 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 5

7/8/07

Hi there         Thanks for the update.  The gelding might not have been peeing to much at the start because of dehydration, he was starved, so likely not watered much, and at the auction, again not watered much, so after a day of having lots of fresh clean water, he will likely be peeing fine.       Just try to monitor the amount he is getting, and look at the colour of the urine coming out.      Many race horses are trained to pee on command, you could try whistling and see if he does his thing  :-)

As for the money, we (daughter and I)  haven't sent much, $20 +$10  =30, but you use it for whatever the horses need.

Good work at the auction, and kudos to your hubby and his friend for driving back and getting the trailer............quite the day for everyone, and a lucky day for 2 horses.

Msg 7 of 49 to GuestGuest 
JenFL (jswan0415)

7/8/07

Hi Stephanie,

Please use the money however you need to.. You wil have many expenses I am sure.

Thanks for saving these two..

Camille...Jen's daughter

7/9/07

PS Diane - you're welcome to visit anytime - you don't have to wait until we move :)  We are closing on August 1st and are all soooooo excited about the move and setting up our new place, but as I said, you're more than welcome anytime!

Both Harlequin and Lemons had their baths and manes pulled and look like horses who are cared about now.....such a difference with just that little bit of attention & grooming!  They are both very beautiful TB's - once their weight is on, they're both going to be just gorgeous!  Harlequin is a very light bay and Lemons is a very dark bay.  We were finally able to get definite tattoos tonight and will be running them through the JC tomorrow - can't wait to find out who they are!  Judging by the first letters of their tattoo's - Harlequin is 11 and Lemons is 20 :) 

Stephany

Stephany Asta-Ferrero

Bel Air, Maryland

Msg 9 of 49 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 6

7/9/07

Thanks so much, you were right on with that - he finally started peeing fine, just like a race horse, lol.  I'm giggling reading your post because my friend's rescued OTTB pee's on command, so I know exactly what you're talking about. 

We had fecals done today and they're both polluted with worms, but otherwise things are looking ok - still waiting on the blood work, but they're eating well and seem to be simply enjoying the heck out of all the attention they're getting. 

We love them both to pieces &  they've been exceptional patients :) 

Thanks for your help!

Stephany

Stephany Asta-Ferrero

Bel Air, Maryland

7/9/07

Thank You Camille!!  Just like your mother, you were right there when the horses needed a helping hand......you're following in wonderful footsteps!

I am getting the newest pictures of bath time downloaded and sent to Beth (sorry Beth, lol!) so that she can post them for all of you to see - will have them up by tomorrow.  The littlest bit of bathing, grooming and mane pulling and they already look so much better :)

PS - Thank You for your help with Cinnamon (Pretty Johnie) as well! Another beautiful TB that you and your mom helped us with!

Steph

Stephany Asta-Ferrero

Bel Air, Maryland