POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Today at Saratoga   Horse Racing

Started by Guest; 6518 views.
In reply toRe: msg 172

8/10/07

Friday evening, August 10th

Today was Funny Cide Day at Saratoga, in celebration of the big gelding’s retirement, just a short distance from the place where he was foaled, at McMahon Thoroughbreds.  Due to the wonkiness of my morning schedule and my own flakiness, I managed to miss completely the celebration in the paddock, but I am hopeful that Della and Dory will provide their photos.  I did have a chance to meet them at the end of the day, and it sounds like their plan went off flawlessly.  In the Saratogian today, on the front page of the sports section, their presentation to Funny Cide on behalf of the Fans of Barbaro, “an organization raising money for equine causes,” was listed on the official timeline of events today.  Way to go, Dory, for your efforts in getting the word out there.

I did make it to the clubhouse rail in time to take pictures of Funny Cide’s parade on the track:  http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x243/TeresainNY/The%20day%20of%20the%20geldings/.  You will also find some photos of Evening Attire before and after his race—he finished third, behind yet another Nick Zito horse finishing second, Hesanoldsalt.  Tonight my mother and I had dinner at the Grey Gelding in downtown Saratoga, so it truly was the day of the gelding.  And please--no comments about my social life on that one. =)

If you followed racing at the Spa last summer, you might remember Nunnery, a nut job of a filly.  She ran off at least once and refused to be caught, and I think there was another incident, the details of which I don’t remember.  There was never any doubt that she could run, but managing her enough to get to the race was the question.  She finished a nice second in a maiden special weight last summer before breaking her maiden at Belmont in the fall, and she won for leading trainer Bill Mott at Churchill her last time out.  In a turf race decimated by scratches when it was switched to the dirt this morning after heavy rains, she won by ½ length after digging in in the stretch.  Her lines suggest that she has a lot of heart, and I’d keep my eye on her, though her long-price days are over, I think.  Today she brought home for me a nicely-priced exacta with a D. Wayne Lukas longshot underneath, giving me another profitable day.   I lost the exacta in the seventh race when, at the last minute, I went from In Command to Tzipi as my third exacta horse; of course, In Command won and Tzipi finished fourth.  Nonetheless, I ended the day up, and I’m not complaining.

Looking forward to a beautiful day and a great day of racing tomorrow…

In reply toRe: msg 173

8/10/07

Two more quick bits of info:

Remember Lieutenant Danz?  He's the horse that fell over Massoud in the first race on opening day--Massoud had to be put down, but we never got word on the status of Lieutenant Danz.  Well, he's entered in Saturday's 6th race, which I take to be a very good sign! 

And I forgot to mention that Evening Attire again broke slowly; he didn't quite stand in the gate, as he's done in the past, but he didn't seem all that eager to get going.  He is definitely a late-runner, but sometimes the guy seems to want to take it just a little too far...

Msg 175 of 339 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 160

8/11/07

Did Nick still have the "horse balls" out in front of their stalls? I watched one young and silly colt bat the one attached to HIS stall into the head of the colt in the next stall, then when the other colt turned as if to say, "HEY!! What do you think you're doing?" The first colt just threw his head back and LAUGHED!!! It's always interesting on the Oklahoma side. Especially when someone yells, "LOOSE HORSE!!!"
Msg 176 of 339 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 173

8/11/07

Oh GEEZ!!! Nunnery AGAIN??? What a headcase!! Yes, I remember the other incident well....let's see...the backside, the parking lot, etc. Maybe she had a "hoof" appointment at the local nail and beauty spa downtown and didn't want to be late. Then there was the colt...his saddle slipped coming out of the gate and the cinch landed across his...well, you get the picture...so he started doing a rodeo routine out there, tossed his jock and made a U-turn heading for the backside and again, into one of the parking lots. Tom Durkin had a field day with BOTH of those!! ROFL
Msg 177 of 339 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 161

8/11/07

>>>I can't think of his name at the moment but Claiborne also had a stallion that was 24 or something. The horse was sterile because of age. So they pensioned him off. The poor horse didn't know any different. He had the same care as always. He was put out in his field everyday. It was nice to see a farm take care of an aged horse when they could have saved themselves the money caring for him and put him down, because he was no longer useful.

........That would have been Damascus. He was such a wonderful critter but such a TERRIBLE cribber!! He used to watch the vans with the mares come in and out, in and out all day, getting himself worked up even after he was sterile and EATING his fence. So at the end of the day, they would let him jump one of the farm mares and "relieve" himself. Poor Guy!!

It's kinda interesting to see how different horses respond to their environment. Some are so gentle and some really aren't. One things for sure it takes a very experienced person to handle a stallion.>>>

.......Watch very carefully. When you are taking a picture of the stallion, the groom is NOT looking at YOU. If he's doing his job, he's looking at that $$$$$ stallion ALL THE TIME. Some farms ALWAYS lead their stallions with TWO grooms.

Msg 178 of 339 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 174
LindaVA3

8/11/07

Teresa thanks for continuing your daily reports.  I feel like I'm right there with you and I'm enjoying these immensely. 
Msg 179 of 339 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 175
LindaVA3

8/11/07

Signet - you have some GREAT stories!  Thanks for sharing them with us!
Msg 180 of 339 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 169
LindaVA3

8/11/07

Pick me up!! Pick me up!!  You'll have to drive through VA anyway, I'll wait by the side of the road!!  I WANT TO GO!
Msg 181 of 339 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 158
colette995

8/11/07

Singet, I'd love to take that tour. I will be going up the night before when I go again for the day the week of the 19th. I'd love to take the Oklahoma tour. How & where do I get the tickets for the tour? I was wondering how to go about seeing where Rags is stabled. Colette
Msg 182 of 339 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 117

8/11/07

Teresa, it was niece day for me at the workouts, nephew day for you! What fun...

Safe racing day to all horses and riders, and remember the lamintis fund with our FOB winnings.

PS Saw Funny Cide's share basket this am.. all the carrots were gone by the time we left.. wonder if Street Sense snuck over to grab them all while FC was ponying... :)