MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Pregnany Pony Needs Help w/Expenses   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by Guest; 1431 views.
In reply toRe: msg 16
Ponytale1976

7/27/07

Hi all, I just got home and WOW. Ok so to address everybody here as best as I can. My bales over here are 35 pounds at best and they are plain old grass hay. Marley is not a small pony she is 13+ hands and a more then likely a Draft Cross. As far as the grain goes she should normally weigh in at 650 pounds, a lactating mare in the first 3 months of lactation requires aprox 7 pounds of Buckeye Growth/day. So 7x30 = 210 pounds/month which is just over 4 bags a month.

This is right off the label:

For mares, foals, and yearlings: The following chart is the amount of GrowthTexturized to feed in pounds/day showing minimum and maximum amount to be fed with free choice hay typically at a minimum of 1% of the animal’s body weight.              Feeding guide (pounds per day)

Mature body weight in lbs

660Min-Max  880Min-Max    1100Min-Max      1320Min-Max

Idle/Open -                            2.5 - 4.0       3.0 - 5.0              4.0 - 6.0              5.0 - 7.0

Gestation -                            3.0 - 4.5        4.0 - 5.5             5.0 - 7.0              6.0 - 8.5

Early Lactation 1 to 3 months  6.0 - 8.5       8.0 - 11.5           10.0-14.0            12.0-17.0

Mid to late Lactation 4 to 6 months     3.5 - 5.0       4.5 - 6.5              6.0 - 8.0             7.0 - 9.5

Not only am I a vet tech but I also have a degree in Equine Nutrition and although I admit myself that she is eating an awful lot of hay, a horse can not have ill effect from eating free choice non-legume hay as long as the horse is not overweight, which Marley is NOT. The vet has seen Marley 3 times since she has arrived here. She arrived only 3 weeks ago in her last month or few months of gestation, there is NO WAY to determine twins at this stage of pregnancy short of running Marley through a full body X-Ray machine. Ultrasounds are done trans rectally and can not view an area as large as Marley's uterus is at this stage, you would only be able to see small parts at a time and it would be near impossible to figure out what parts you already saw and what parts could potentially be another baby. It is also near impossible to hear any heartbeat let alone decipher 2 at this stage. As far as bedding is concerned I am not sure how 2 bags of shavings a week, and 2 bales of straw a week are over the top for a pregnant pony and then a pony and her foal, they are messy, and require thick fluffy beds, I even took a picture of her bed to show you what it looks like. So in short, I do know what I am doing and talking about, the vet is VERY invloved with Marley (I also go on Emergency calls with my vet so she knows how capable I am) and the amounts I wrote down are indeed ALL for Marley. If anyone has anymore questions I would be more then happy to answer them, just please ask.

• Edited 7/27/2007 8:05 pm ET by Ponytale1976

7/27/07

Thank you Lairie for your imput. I have a much clearer picture now.
 I appreciate all that you are doing in helping this mare (more a horse then pony maybe part haffinger?) and the other horses. I personally don't use shaving in stalls at all until after the birthing and once I'm made a good thick bedding I,  picked out and added straw daily and used about a 1 1/2 bales a week. but again, I have had large bales and that makes a difference in the amount.  Once the foal is born, with in a day or so I strip the stall and use all shaving after that. 

Topaz, please don't feel bad about your post! You where trying to help and there was no intent in trying to cause issues with you or anyone else. As I said, I don't mince for words and get to my point.

Thank you again for the clarification.

Linda

Msg 21 of 35 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 20
Ponytale1976

7/27/07

Not a problem, ask and yee shall receive. I don't hold anything back as long as someone asks me a legit question I will be more then happy to answer to the best of my ability. Yes there was a Haflinger stallion reported to be on this property for a few years before I met this man, and since Marley is only 3 he could very well have been her father. The 2 stallions currently on the property are 15 hand 1200+ pound Draft stallions.

I use the shavings under the straw to absorb the pee, otherwise it soaks into my dirt floors faster then the straw can suck it up. I personally HATE straw but it is a neccesary evil for a healthy baby to be born onto fluffy straw and not worry about it getting coated in shavings.

7/27/07

I used to LOVE straw and the smell of a nice fresh,  bright straw bed was like perfume to me! haha

But unfortunately there is a lot of bulk,  waste and more work involved. Also the price is so far out of line that it's not economical either. So I'm a shavings fan now and hubby prefers spreading it, rather then straw anyway. I have a gelding here ( he was born here) that loves a straw bed. So now and then I will have a few bales kicking around to take his "long naps"! I am pathetic aren't I?

Linda

Msg 23 of 35 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 22
Ponytale1976

7/27/07

Don't get me wrong, it looks and smells delightful, it's cleaning it that I don't like.

Off to check on Marley, going to try and get a cute picture or two.

7/27/07

Thank you for the clarification, Laurie. That helped explain a lot. I have been burned before by rescues on-line asking for money so I am very, very cautious now. If anything I see, hear, or read does not add up for me ... well ... I hope you understand. Since I never heard of you before joining this board, I am sure you can appreciate my caution.

Usually, I do some research on background, etc. before donating to any organization.  Since I have not had the opportunity to do so regarding your rescue, please allow me some time before I decide on donations. The pony mare is lovely however and a testament to her toughness to have survived her situation in as good a condition as she has while baking a little one.

Several years ago, my daughter took in an appaloosa mare that was just a few weeks away from giving birth. She had been seized during a drug raid and was probably a 1 on the H. scale. To this day, I don't know how that mare made a baby, gave birth to a healthy baby, and still lived. She is quite fat and sassy now. My daughter has broken her to drive as well as ride and you can put anyone on her.

Diane

Msg 25 of 35 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 24
Ponytale1976

7/27/07

It's those ponies that make the best ones for life!!!!

I have another pregnant pony off the same farm here who we just realized was pregnant last week. She is barely 2 years old and in my best guess would rate between a 3.5-4 on the Henneke scale, and she has one in the oven. I have not posted too much about her because we are really not optimistic that her baby will make it full term. We are doing everything we can for her, but nature is going to determine the outcome with her in the end. She is Marley's barn mate in the meantime, I just took a few pictures of her as well I will post them in a bit on this thread. Take all the time you need and like I said, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask them. I am a private rescue, not a 501(c)3 if that is a determining factor for you, I would just like to make that clear from the start.

In reply toRe: msg 25
Ponytale1976

7/27/07

Here is a pic of Marley's belly, can you see the odd "crease" in it? She has the same thing on both sides, which is why it really looks like there is a baby squished on either side of her. The crease changes spots occasionally too.

marleyscrease.jpg

This is a shot of the other pony that is from the same farm as Marley that we just determined is pregnant:

Theresa2.jpg

Doc thinks that she is already stunted as her head doesn't fit her body very well.

7/27/07

Thanks for the honesty on your IRS status. I don't think it really matters to me except for tax donation purposes. Some of the worst scammers I have come across are 501c(3) and some of the best, well-run rescues were private.

Diane

jamielsg

7/27/07

Dear Laurie,

Thank you so much for all you do to help these sweet babies. You are an angel here on Earth. Marley and the other pregnant baby are so blessed to have you. I will make a donation to you sometime in August(when I get paid again). I am praying that Marley has a safe and healthy pregnancy and that her baby/babies are healthy as well. Thank you for taking care of God's Innocent Creatures. I am very sorry for the loss of the foal. He or she is in Heaven now with Barbaro.  Love, Jamie Gillispie FOB Johnson City, TN

For the Love of One Horse, Barbaro, we began. For the well-being of Marley&The other pony and all horses, we continue.

United In Our Unceasing Love for God's Horses, Barbaro,Baby Mercedes,and Prince Nick........always