Menu

Discussion

Funny Cide Day FOB Meeting Place   Horse Racing

Started by DoryFunaro; 633 views.
In reply toRe: msg 35
DoryFunaro

8/10/07

Hi All,

Della and I spent most of our time in the paddock with the two huge baskets, so we missed all of the festivities on the track.  In coverage afterward, I see that it was Senator Joe Bruno (R) who broke off a piece of the rolex and fed it to Funny Cide.

Will post more and hopefully learn how to post a photo or two (of the baskets).  There was very limited time for the presentation so Della did the honors directing her comments to Robin who was on Funny Cide.  I don't know how to describe the moment but that it was memorable and the love was there.  Any one who saw the baskets remarked at the sizes of both, and especially about the SIZE of the CARROTS!  Della repeated her mantra, These baskets are for Funny Cide sent from the Fans of Barbaro.  The comments were the same, "ahhh" and many others adding, It was so sad about Barbaro.  This is SO nice that Barbaro's fans are honoring Funny Cide.  We were told that Robin was tearing up as they played "Wind Beneath my Wings" for Funny Cide.  I have a brand new appreciation of the piece now.  For Robin, Funny has been the wind beneath her wings as is the case with all these wonderful horses and their loving owners, riders.  Let me not wax melancholy, here!

There was only a small clip on Capital News 9 where they focused on the baskets and especially on the notes wrapped securely by Kennett.  It was part of their piece about the Retirement and how so many people were honoring the Kentucky Derby and Preakness 2003 Winner and then showed the baskets with voice overlay, "He was honored with gift baskets from the organization called Fans of Barbaro".  Not sure if that's exactly how they did it but it is close.  I'm frantically trying to find that video and just emailed the station asking to buy a video of all the coveage.  That clip with the baskets is not in the video that is currently on line. 

We tried to find other FOBS but only caught up with Teresa NY at the Rail.  Yetta decided to leave on Thursday because of the rainy weather predicted for today.  As it turned out, it rained all night and into the morning, then cleared up for Funny's Big Day.  We didn't think we could be missed with these huge baskets.  Artist Nick Martinez was both in awe and laughing as we wheeled past his sales tent.  Countless people asked if they could have a carrot or a pear.  We just said, "Ask Funny Cide.  Hopefully he will share!"

I took a couple of photos of Della with Funny Cide (with Della's camera) so you will  have to wait for Della to get back to a computer to post (early next week).  I took some snaps of Funny being walked in the paddock around the edge so the fans could greet him.  He was SO WELL behaved for his big DAY.  I believe he KNEW he was the Guest of Honor and carried himself as truly HRH Funny Cide. 

I just want to post something to the thread so you know we were there today and delivered the baskets.  Jack Knowlton (Managing Partner of Sakatoga Stables and one of the original 8 who own Funny Cide) was so gracious and appreciative of the baskets and the well wishes from the Fans of Barbaro - we never did refer to our group as "FOB's."  Jack's eyes popped out when he saw the baskets and the carrots.

I did spend some time the other day, pulling comments off the thread on this forum discussing Funny's retirement.  All were so positive and encouraging and worth sharing with Funny's connections.  So I created a three page document of a sampling of the comments and well-wishes, printed it in color to distinguish between the writers, and put copies in the basket for Jack Knowlton and for Barclay/Robin - on that envelope we had added, "please read these to Funny Cide".  While in the paddock waiting for Funny Cide, Dorothy Knowlton came by to look at the baskets.  She was overwhelmed when she saw them.  Then quick thinking Della, pulled the envelope off the basket and gave it to Dorothy to be sure that Jack and the rest of the Sakatoga partners would see it.  All the rest of the notes that Kennet had gathered from the FOBS, remained with the baskets. 

I hope to post more after I reread this rambling message.  But wanted EVERYONE to know that our mission was accomplished right to the very end when Della and I drove to the barn area and delivered the baskets right to Barclay and Robin's office, which coincidently is right next to Funny's stall.  Robin was sitting outside in conversation; Barclay came over too, while we were there.  We were talking to another owner whose horses are trained by Barclay.  We had a wonderful conversation with her and I realized that she is the owner who had sold her horse to what she thought was a reputable buyer, only to find out that the horse ended up on a slaughter truck.  The Excelsior Fund alerted her, Barclay was instrumentatl and she was able to rescue her horse.  I'm hopeful Della can give better details including the owner's name. I do remember reading about this on the Forum probably early in June.  I definitely will search the forum to read the story again.  This owner was very helpful when we were delivering the baskets.  She held my car keys so I didn't have to hold them in my teeth while Della & I moved the big basket into Barclay's barn office.  Della surmises that FUNNY will be boring a hole in the wall to get to the treats after lights out tonight. 

We met so many people - I'm overwhelmed.  And SO thankful to have been in the company of Della who knows so much about horses, the racing industry and the history surrounding the FOBs.  Too much to post tonight and I know I'm just rambling.  I would not get a good grade on THIS essay.  ( had to add that because of Teresa NY and Della - both English teachers!!)  (Don't tell them I was an English major in College!!).

I'll probably crash this site if I add any more tonight.  So good nite all.  Funny KNOW's he is loved.  Della assured me of that !  God bless!

Dory Funaro (co-Funny Cide Basket transport person) 

janbot

8/10/07

OH Dory!!!
So many thanks for all...
I just loved reading your account!
I am so thrilled to have been a small part of this grand adventure to honor a truly great horse with amazing connections!
THANKS!!!!!!!!
jan
In reply toRe: msg 42
colette995

8/10/07

Hi all!! I am home!! I saw Funny Cide!!! He is absolutely beautiful!!! He lead the parade of horses comingout for the 4th race. Robin rode him. Then he came back to the winner's circle area & Robin road him back & forth several times for all of us to see. Morgan & I were right at the fence, so we were close.  Funny Cide did a beautiful side step prance down the track along side the fence, right in front of us. A few times, Robin reached out to rub his neck & head. Because he had a good stop to stand to watch Funny Cide on the track, we didn't have a good stop for him getting his Roladex watch treat at the winner circle. Morgan tryed to scoot thru with the camara, but he wasn't able to get thru. Before the race when Funny Cide was out, we stood on a very long line & got our posters signed by Jose & all the owners. I never saw Della or Dora. Dora had mentioned in the 1st post of this thread that we would meet at1pm atthe tree that grows thru the red & white awning. In fact, I wrote her post down & brought it with me . Morgan & I waiting at the tree for almost & hour, but we never saw anyone. I have to admit, I was upset. I wanted to be a part of giving the basket to Funny Cide.  I went to several offices & asked if they knew anything. Everyone was helpful & made calls to ask elsewhere. But, no luck.  But, in the administrative offices,the top guy at the track told one of the people I spoke to to send Morgan & I over to his office. We went & the 2 baskets were there. So, I was happy I got to see them. Morgan & I took pictures of the baskets.  He didn't know who put them in his office. He went out & came back & they were there,he said.   Then Morga & I went & bought a limited edition Funny Cide har with today's date on it & a limited edition bobble head of Funny Cide. We also got a picture of ourselves taken with Funny Cide's trophies.  Everything we bought ,the funds went to TB retirement causes.  We didn't see too many races, just 2, but the next time we'll watch more races. Today, it was all about Funny Cide!! My brother in law is going to come tomorrow & show me how to get pictures into the computer & how to send them here to the forum. Then, I will post pictures. I am sorry I didn't get to meet any FOB's. Hopefully, the next time. Colette  PS: I forgot to tell you. Just after we got our posters signed by Jose & FC's connections, a reporter from one of the local papers asked me if she could interview Morgan about how he felt about today & what he knew about FC, etc. She wanted a child's perspective. She took our name & address & will let us know if her editor prints her story. Needless to say, Morgan was thrilled. I'll let you all know if Morgan made the paper. But, the experience was special in itself. Colette
janbot

8/10/07

Oh Colette
Wonderful descriptions of the day!!! Thank you so much for sharing and being so considerate to post tonight!
I cannot wait to see your pictures. I'm glad you are home safe and sound. It sounds like Morgan enjoyed his day!
Thanks ....
jan

8/10/07

Dory and Della - WHAT A JOB!!! You can ramble at me anytime, esp. about Funny Cide. Tomorrow, tell us someone how big the crowd was. I am so happy for those who could be there.

To Aunt Jamie, you are right! What we need is a direct feed to this site for special events. Accessing this different sites that say they give you video etc. and getting the programs to run can be futile. We need our own network! That's it!

I had a list of things to do this evening; it is still very hot in the midwest. Some of us had a hard time waiting for news. But when I went to my email at 9:30 PM Wisconsin time, it lit up with mail from 5 of you! It was so great!

8/10/07

Great job, Colette and Morgan! Sounds like it is really hard to meet at these events. And Dory and Della had their hands full lterally (with baskets) trying to get thru the presentation and get them to the right place. At least you were able to see Funny Cide out on the track.

Hope you received your pin in time, Colette! Sounds like you could start a Funny Cide Museum. Ann In WI

janbot

8/10/07

DORY
Are you telling me that you got to meet Funny Cide????? OMG!!!!
Really???? What was he like? Did you get to pet him???
WAY COOL!
jan
In reply toRe: msg 49
SusanE830

8/10/07

WOW!  Dory, Della, and Collette, what a day!!  It sounds like the basket presentation was all we could have wanted.  Collette, I'm so sorry you weren't able to make connections.

Dory and Della, thank you again from the bottom of my heart for picking up this project and seeing it through after I dropped the basket, so to speak. I apologize; I recently started a new job and have been out of town for almost half of the last month training, etc.  I didn't see this project through, but the FOB famblee always gets the job done, whether it's baskets or stopping the slaughter!

Msg 51 of 77 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 48
colette995

8/10/07

Yes, Ann!! I got it yesterday!! Perfect timing. I didn't get a chance to send off an email to you. I plannedto do so last nite, but fell asleep on the couch at 11pm & woke up when Morgan woke me upat 6 o'clock this morning. Then it was rush, rush, rush to get up to Saratoga. Thank you so much!! Morgan wore it proudly all day. Now, since I scrapbook, it will go into my scrapbook & be forever safe along with the pictures of our day & of course, Funny Cide. I wish I could have been up close to Funny Cide in the paddock. Poor Morgan's job all day was to keep an eye out for a woman with a large basket. He thought he found her once when he saw a girl with a basket full of flowers that she was selling. I did feel a little better when I got to see the baskets. I guess I shouldn't have had my heart set on pictures at the paddock of FC & the basket, with Morgan in it.  I guess I am a typical scrapbooker. We tend to envision the pictures we will put into our pages & then go about taking the pictures. We did get a lot of good pictures, though & had a great time.  Maybe the next time a group of us plan to meet somewhere, we should have an "official name tag" or something to help us identify each other.  Colette

8/10/07

Someone is going to have a picture of the presentation that you can copy, Colette.

Did you see the 39 Career In Review Pictures on the Blood-Horse site? I cried at the last picture of Funny Cide, Robin, and Barclay from the back walking down the road of mud after the event today. What a sweet special family. After we read all the mails this weekend, and look at all the pictures, we will have a total experience from Funny Cide's Retirement Party. Sleep good tonight, you two.