MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Has anyone heard of Influent?    Horse Racing

Started by colette995; 8583 views.
colette995

8/8/07

Good Morning!!  Could someone who has followed racing for longer than I tell me if you have ever heard of the horse Influent? He apparently ran in the '97 & '98 seasons.  I tried to find info. on him, but everything I found is archived & I couldn't read any articles.  Also, could anyone tell me where I can find a website that would give me info on the horse & about who the trainer & owner was. Thanks! Colette
INFLUENT (CAN) dkb/br. G, 1991 DP = 6-5-13-3-1 (28) DI = 1.67   CD = 0.43 - 35 Starts, 13 Wins, 6 Places, 7 Shows Career Earnings: $956,601
      Owner: Turfinpaddock Farm
    Breeder: A.Taylor
State Bred: ON
  Winnings: 35 Starts: 13 - 6 - 7, $956,601

At 5:
WON Bunty Lawless S.

At 6:
WON Man O' War S. (G1), Caesars International H. (G1), Bowling Green H. (G2) NCR, Fort Marcy H. (G3), Marker's Mark Mile S. (G3) NCR
2ND New Hampshire Sweepstakes H. (G3)

(CLOSE)
ASCOT KNIGHT (CAN)
b. 1984
DANZIG (USA)
b. 1977 [IC]
NORTHERN DANCER (CAN)
b. 1961 [BC]
NEARCTIC (CAN)
br. 1954
NEARCO (ITY) br. 1935 [BC]
LADY ANGELA (IRE) ch. 1944
NATALMA (USA)*
b. 1957
NATIVE DANCER (USA) gr. 1950 [IC]
ALMAHMOUD (USA) ch. 1947 *
PAS DE NOM (USA)
dkb/br. 1968
ADMIRALS VOYAGE (USA)
dkb/br. 1959
CRAFTY ADMIRAL (USA) b. 1948
OLYMPIA LOU (USA) br. 1952
PETITIONER (GB)
b. 1952
PETITION (GB) br. 1944 [I]
STEADY AIM (GB) b. 1943
BAMBEE T T (USA)
ch. 1973
BETTER BEE (USA)
b. 1954
TRIPLICATE (USA)
ch. 1941
REIGH COUNT (USA) ch. 1925
FAIRDAY (USA) b. 1930
S. BEE (USA)
blk. 1943
HASTE (USA) b. 1923
SEVRES (USA) br. 1933
GOLDEN BEACH (USA)
ch. 1953
DJEDDAH (FR)
ch. 1945
DJEBEL (FR) b. 1937 [I]
DJEZIMA (FR) ch. 1933
WISE ALLY (USA)
br. 1937
WISE COUNSELLOR (USA) ch. 1921
BELLE ALLIANCE (GB) br. 1920
KATERINA KEY (USA)
dkb/br. 1985
KEY TO THE MINT (USA)
b. 1969 [BC]
GRAUSTARK (USA)
ch. 1963 [CS]
RIBOT (GB)
b. 1952 [CP]
TENERANI (ITY) b. 1944
ROMANELLA (ITY) ch. 1943
FLOWER BOWL (USA)*
b. 1952
ALIBHAI (GB) ch. 1938 [C]
FLOWER BED (USA) b. 1946 *
KEY BRIDGE (USA)*
b. 1959
PRINCEQUILLO (IRE)
b. 1940 [IS]
PRINCE ROSE (GB) b. 1928 [C]
COSQUILLA (IRE) b. 1933
BLUE BANNER (USA)
b. 1952
WAR ADMIRAL (USA) br. 1934 [C]
RISQUE BLUE (USA) b. 1941
KATERINA THE GREAT (GB)
b. 1978
GREAT NEPHEW (GB)
dkb/br. 1963
HONEYWAY (GB)
br. 1941
FAIRWAY (GB) br. 1925 [B]
HONEY BUZZARD (GB) ch. 1931
SYBIL'S NIECE (GB)
ch. 1951
ADMIRAL'S WALK (GB) ch. 1936
SYBIL'S SISTER (GB) b. 1943
VIEW MISTRESS (GB)
b. 1964
KING'S TROOP (IRE)
b. 1957
PRINCELY GIFT (IRE) b. 1951
EQUIRIA (GB) b. 1946
MY MARGARET (GB)
b. 1951
THE PHOENIX (GB) b. 1940
CRACKNEL (GB) b. 1934

(from pedigreequery.com)

colette995

8/8/07

Thanks, Nancy. The reason I asked is I had a patient in the Emergency Room last night. He is only 48 yrs. old, but has spent the past 5 months in the hospital & is now in a nursing home. When I admitted him to the ER, & was getting his history & his reason for being in the ER, the first thing he said to me is; "I am sick of being sick. I used to own & train horses". I asked what kind of horses & he said TB's. He told me he owned Influent who is now retired & is in (I think he said), south Jersey or Delaware. We ended up up talking for a long time. He knew Mario Pino well & knew Todd Pletcher when he was assistant to Wayne Scot Lucas. He mentioned alot of names I recognized. He primarily spent most of his time at Philadelphia Park with his horse & trained for others. He did spend quite a bit of time at Saratoga. I told him I was going to Saratoga on Friday to Funny Cide's Day. He asked me to go to Horseman's Relations & tell Carmella hello, if she is still there.  If I can find Mario Pino, he would like me to tell him hello also. We talked about many horses & he is still up to date with current horses racing.  He made sure the nursing home he is in has sattelite, so he gets HRTV & the other channel on sattelite. I felt so sorry for him. He cried when he said that he has not had a chance to talk horses with anyone for a long time. His father was there too & thanked me for making his son happy. In fact, when it was time for Mike to leave & go back to the nursing home, he didn't want to leave. He said he hoped others in the racing world haven't forgotten him. I told him about this forum. He doesn't have a computer, so he wouldn't be able to get here.  I asked him if I could give his name here in case someone knew him, he said, yes, absolutely!! I didn't want to violate any HEPA laws.  His name is Mike Becker.  He is starved for contact with the racing world. If anyone would like to send him a card at the nursing home, just to say Hi!, from a fellow TB racing fan, he'd be thrilled. His world has become very small, due to his illness. He unfortunately didn't take care of himself when he was younger & now has many of the problems that go along with long term diabetes. He still hopes to get better & somehow get back to a track. Oh, by the way, his father told me that on one of the times he left the nursing home for a trip to the hospital, when he got back to his room at the nursing home a few days later, his only picture that he still had of Influent, which was in a frame was gone. That happened a few months ago & he was very upset. I'd love to somehow find a picture of Influent & send it to him.  Isn't it amazing where one can meet people?  I am just glad I was able to make his world a little bit brighter, for a little while. Colette

8/8/07

Colette, your story brought tears to my eyes.  Bless you for brightening Mike's day.  I'm sure someone can patch you in to a photo of Influent.  If you would like contributions for framing or anything, please let me know.  I would love to contribute to something like that!

Thanks so much for sharing this story.  I've been going through a bit of a rough spot and this helps put everything into perspective, and gives me faith in human beings!

Msg 13300.5 deleted

8/8/07

Hi Colette!

You are such a sweetie for posting this and trying to help this man. I wonder if someone on here might know somebody who writes for the Blood-Horse who could tell you who to e-mail there. I think they would write a little something about this man with his address in the nursing home, and alert people who know him from racing in regard to where he is, so they could contact him.

I'm going to contact the photo departments at the tracks where Influent ran to see if one of them still has the negative from one of his stakes races so I can buy a picture of his horse to send to Mike. I'll get back to you tomorrow after I do some calling.

Thank you so much for being so caring and taking the time to post this for us and for trying to help this man who is cut off from his former life because of his illness.
Msg 7 of 3169 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 6
colette995

8/8/07

He would be so, so, happy if he were to get notes or cards from people he may have known at the tracks. His life, as it has been these past 5 months, is so sad. He actually has not been able to be around the track for the past 2 or so years, also due to being sick. But, the past 5 months have been the worst.  He is only 48 & many of the other residents of the nursing home are 30 to 40 yrs.older than him. I imagine he is very lonely. To feel like he has not been forgotten in the racing world would mean the world to him. If you can locate a picture of Influent, Please let me know how much it costs & I'll reimburse you immediately. I wonder if there is an organization within the racing world that remembers people like Mike & sends holiday & birthday cards when their address is known.  Colette

Colette - what an amazing, and sad story!  I started looking around for info about Influent and had a couple of thoughts for you....

First of all, you might email Barbara Livingston easygoer78@aol.com to see if she has any photos....I looked in her online gallery, but it is only a sampling of her work and she definitely was in the business back when Influent was racing.

Another idea:  I discovered that Jerry Bailey was riding Influent when he won the 1997 Man O' War Stakes...looked on Bailey's website for contact info - you have to contact him through the site....if the link doesn't work, you can just cut/paste.

http://www.jerrybailey.com/contact-us.shtml

Also, you could email Tim Woolley wooleykins@aol.com (yes, according to TWR his email address has only ONE L in it...) and let him know you are an FOB, tell him Mike's story, and see if he could suggest any organizations that could provide Mike some contact with the racing world.

...this is what happens when I fall asleep really early and then wake up at 2 am and get on the computer...

GOOD LUCK!

colette995

8/9/07

Thank you so much Nancy!! Boy, you do some good thinking when you wake up in the middle of the nite!! All ofyour suggestions are great & I am going to do them all!! I keep thinking about poor Mike. He is right in my age bracket & but for the grace of God, it could be me in his position. Thank God I am very fortunate to be very healthy & can do & go anywhere I chose to. His picture of Influent was one of the only items he had left of his days with Influent & the track. Believeme when I tell you, he has nothing. Since his livlihood was horse owner & training, he didn't have a career that supplied medical insurance. Over the past few years, he has been too sick to work & his funds have been depleted. Even if he had a dime left, the nursing homes make sure they get every bit of that. In this country, when you go into a nursing home & you own anything, they take all of it to pay for the nursing home before the costs are paid by medicaid. So, even if he does get better, he has no home left. If I could open some lines of communications for him with the racing world, that would be great. At the very least, I hope I can replace his one keepsake, the picture of Influent. If anyone wants to send him a card or a note as a member of this forum, let me know & I can give you the address of the nursing home. Colette

8/9/07

Hi Colette,

This might take longer than I thought. Belmont isn't running where he won the Man O' War Stakes and the Bowling Green Handicap; Atlantic City where he won the Caesars International Handicap (now the United Nations Handicap at Monmouth) is virtually defunct with something like 5 days of racing/year in April; Aqueduct where he won the Ft. Marcy is dark right now like Belmont; Keeneland where he won the Maker's Mark Mile isn't racing right now either.

I'll keep trying to call but there is just a chance I might catch somebody in the photo office who could help with ordering a win picture. Don't worry about the cost IF we can just find one. Probably a letter by hard mail is the best idea and then wait for an answer.

Colette, I've opened my e-mail address on here if you would send me this man's address in the nursing home so I can pass it on to some organizations who might get word out of where he is so that people from his racing day's who know him can contact him.

I wonder if Alex might put you in touch with Jeanine from ESPN. It might be something they would be interested in using as filler on a TV sportscast when they're covering races. Just a thought, but ESPN might like to do a good deed to help this man especially since Jerry Bailey rode the horse in one of his G-I wins.

I have a good buddy who has the phone # of the CA based group that handles racing photos for the AP and they have quite an archive going back sometime. She is away, but as soon as I can get the # from her, I'll try them and see if they have anything on file.

• Edited 8/9/2007 10:32 am ET by tbbreedr