The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

DAMMIT - ANOTHER BREAKDOWN!   Horse Racing

Started by Nancy from CT (nancyinct); 5 views.

DAMMIT, DAMMIT, DAMMIT...another beloved horse lost to a track injury. I saw the end of this race yesterday, and the beautiful grey Imperial Eyes was waaaaaaay ahead until he took a "bad step" close to the finish line and the second horse surged by him...couldn't find any information about what happened to him until just now: (From pedigreequery.com) "broke down at Bay Meadows 8/23/07 in race 1. Euthanized due to a condylar fracture. Finished 2nd place in race. RIP"

REST IN PEACE, IMPERIAL EYES, AND MAY LIGHT PERPETUAL SHINE UPON YOU. Run with Barbaro and all your equine angel brothers and sisters, dance among the clouds...and I pray I will meet you one fine day!
Nancy

8/24/07

Another HEART BREAK.......................

Tears .........

8/24/07

What terrible news and what a loss...

R.I.P. beautiful boy! You won't be forgotten.

godmom2

8/24/07

I have heard that Bay Meadow's dirt track is experiencing a high number of breakdowns this meet -- something like .25% or 2.5 for every 1000 horses racing.  That's twice the national average, yes?

Can anyone confirm that number?

The owners of this track (Bay Meadows Land Company) pleaded with the CHRB to postpone installment of a synthetic surface.  CHRB held their ground and told Bay Meadows to install the track or cancel all future meets. 

Bay Meadows Land Company has no intention of keeping this track -- they have every intention of developing the property into retail/office space -- most are guessing in the 2009 timeframe.  But the economic atmosphere is not conducive to development right now, and there are permitting and other issues with the Bay Meadows property. 

Rather than having a big parcel of land sitting idle, BMLC would prefer to make some money on the property by keeping the horseracing there, without having to make a $10 million investment in a synthetic track for only one year's worth of horseracing.

But at the next meeting, CHRB under pressure from a particular California State Senator (who threatened to have all of CHRB's funding eliminated) gave in and granted Bay Meadow's request to stay with a dirt track.

cigarello

8/24/07

In the first race at Bay Meadows today (Thur.) Russell was on the odds on favorite, Imperial Eyes, for trainer Art Sherman. He was just loping along several lengths clear 70 yards from the wire when the horse went wrong. It was obvious that he was a run away winner, until that happened. After he bobbled and tried to regain his balance, I was in shock as Russell began to whip him. He was beaten, but almost walked across the wire and still finished second. Hours later, I am sitting here still shaking my head. While it was sad to see, and a bad decision by Baze not to try to assist the poor horse, it shows the determination and desire to win that Baze possesses instinctively. It was a bottom of the barrel Mdn. $8,000 claimer too, so the purse sure wasn't that motivating. Although I would have much rather seen him try to help the poor horse, it shows how deeply involved he is in trying to win. It was a bug boy move, but the bettors sure love his desire to win. He does need to get it under control a bit though. Those horses are relying on their riders an awful lot in situations like that. Oh, the horse did break down, in case I didn't state that clearly.

I found this info at www.finalturn.com; you can pick up on the thread there with the title Russell Baze; this made me sick.
cigarello

8/24/07

What makes me sick is this guy writing that Russell Baze showed courage in whipping the horse? am i reading that right?
dtpq

8/24/07

Wasn't Russell Baze Fog's jockey?

In reply toRe: msg 7
cigarello

8/24/07

I believe he was but I gotta tell ya, he is my s---list now; there is no justification for what he died and where is the hue and cry for some type of punishment?  Just because the horse was a cheap claimer nobody really cares do they?
In reply toRe: msg 7
PatS2002

8/24/07

Yes, he was Lost in the Fog's jockey. Also pretty close to the top of career wins ever. But since he rides in Northern California he gets no credit. I am surprised that he rode like this - he is usually very professional and seems to care about the animals. Maybe he did not know his horse was hurt?
cigarello

8/24/07

apparently the horse bobbled so my question is how wouldn't he know it? he knew it and in my opinion he didn't care; I know he was Fog's jockey but this incident does not reflect well on him and in fact there should be an inquiry IMO