Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Starved Mustangs @ Dare 2 Dream - PLUMP!   Horse Rescue Updates

Started 10/15/07 by Guest; 13 views.

10/15/07

Three months ago, the FOBs helped me through one of the most stressful times in my life. My rescue, the Dare to Dream Youth Ranch, had received word of two emaciated and neglected mustangs in Angola, Indiana. The FOBs and I called everyone we could think of; the State Vet, the sheriff, the SPCA, the Humane Society, USERL, local, state and national 4-H (each horse was used in 12 events), the Bureau of Land Management and most everyone enabled the abusers to continue to starve and neglect the mustangs. So the FOBs got to work to raise the $1500 ransom to save our boys. Within a few days we raised their bail and another $1000 for their care! Then we had to wait, wait, wait . . . until the Steuben County 4-H fair was over to bring them home to begin their new lives. Both mustangs were painfully thin, but Job (the Bible said that Job went from starvation to riches) looked like a walking bag of bones. Their feet were so overgrown that they looked like they were wearing elf shoes. And they had to sift through their own poop to get to their straw for ‘nourishment’. The worst thing of all was their eyes; they were so dead and listless, devoid of all hope. It was a sad state and they just broke my heart and the hearts of the dear FOBs who saved them.

At the end of July, they started their new life – a life of full bellies and happy whinnies! It took me an entire hour to greet them. It was like all that build-up was finally gone and I could finally breathe again! When I walked into see them, they both stopped eating and came to see me; they recognized me as the person who’d helped them, I think. Barbaro Blue, the blue roan, rubbed my back (I later realized that he was wiping his nose on me, there were green boogers all up and down my shirt!) and gave me a kiss. Job was so skittish and afraid because of the abuse he suffered, but he let my 3 year old and I do anything to him. I have never been so full of pride as I was of myself that day; I succeeded in my first rescue!

But how I know that the rescue was a true success is the sparkle in Job and Barbaro Blue’s eyes; they are so full of life and happiness. Their spirits have healed as well. When they see a familiar face coming near, all you can hear is a full bellied whinny! Not only are both boys plump, but they are becoming accomplished and in demand with the at-risk and/or disabled children that come to the rescue to work with the horses to seek reprieve from their hectic lives. Job, the strawberry roan, is becoming a skilled jumper. He has such a graceful gait. He holds his tail high when he gallops, like an Arabian. On Saturday, I was trying my best to catch a 3 foot tall pony named Zach so I could lunge him – Zach got the best of me. However, Job ran him more that I would have. He looked so majestic chasing that fat little pony around. He kept looking over at me and perking his ears, like he as saying, “Look, he’s breathing hard! I’m doing a good job!” Barbaro Blue is the exact opposite; he won’t stop eating to do anything, though he is perfect with the kids. He will trot and canter on their command. He knows the importance of his job!

These mustangs are my dear loves. I can not thank the FOBs enough for helping to rescue them for their situation. The FOBs can spot potential and they were dead on center when they chose these boys to save. As well, I have found a new purpose in my life. Thank you FOBs!

The former owners have several that they are still abusing (they withhold food as a training element, I believe); they said they’d have one to sell in November. He’s a beautiful blue roan just like Barbaro Blue, but he is a lot taller and has a black mane. He has not been gentled at all. I’ll keep you abreast on him when I hear about him.

Here are some before pictures, some from their day of arrival, some from ground training and then some from this past Saturday, October 13, 2007. I hope you enjoy them.

Love,

In reply toRe: msg 1

10/16/07

These pictures were taken on July 5, 2007 in Angola, IN at their former owners' horse "facility". They are so sad and skinny.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Love,
In reply toRe: msg 2

10/16/07

This is the first day that the boys arrived at the ranch. Their spirits are all ready perked!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Love,
Msg 4 of 30 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 3

10/16/07

They look fantastic!!!  Thank you for the update and for caring so much for these two!!!
In reply toRe: msg 3

10/16/07

These are pictures of Barbaro Blue's first ground work lessons. The lady in the picture is Pam Procise, she is the founder of Dare to Dream Youth Ranch. Little did I know at the time, I was experiencing morning sickness!

Love,
In reply toRe: msg 5

10/16/07

Finally from Saturday, October 13, 2007. They are plump as a Thanksgiving turkey. I love turkey!

Love,
In reply toRe: msg 6

10/16/07

Here is the two year old that will be available in November. He looks wild, doesn't he?

Love,
Msg 8 of 30 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 4

10/16/07

Thank you Jane, that makes me feel good!

Love,

Msg 9 of 30 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 8

10/16/07

They look amazing! They are obviously receiving a whole lot of TLC.
Msg 10 of 30 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 9

10/16/07

They do get a lot of good love. It had been about three weeks since the last time I had seen them. My severe migraines came back with my pregnancy and I can't leave the house because of the bright sun and noise sometimes. When I saw that all of Job's bones were hidden I burst into tears. I couldn't even palm them; not even a single rib or a hip bone. I was so proud of their determination to get better. They have intergrated so well into the rescue, it's just amazing. Joe, a paint, has been there for years and still doesn't fit in!

Job hates sweets and won't even eat an apple, but Barbaro Blue will follow you a mile for a starburst - and he did on Saturday! Their personalities are so distinctly different. Something else that I think is funny. Job, the strawberry, will only hang out with the bay and sorrel horses. Barbaro Blue will only hang out with the dark appys and black horses. Poor Joe, the paint, has to hang out with Bianca, the Andalusian mare who also doesn't get along with anyone (that is his girlfriend, so I don't think he minds too much)!

Love,