POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Update on Teuflesberg   Horse Racing

Started by Guest; 3640 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1

10/26/07

Hi Folks,

Hot off the presses, I just received this email from Rood & Riddle regarding Teuflesberg.  To sum up the good part is that T is eating, and putting weight on the limb.  The iffy parts are that there was some problem with lack of blood flow to the limb after the injury and before the surgery.  Once they put the cast on during surgery, they haven't been able to see if the bloodflow is better.  They are going to change the cast soon, and when they do that, that will give them a better idea of how the bloodflow is.  My interpretation of case scenarios is that the best case scenerio is that the cast change goes great, and bloodflow is 100% reestablished and working great.  Worst case scenario is that the bloodflow is poor.  Inbetween case scenario... well you get the idea. 

Anyways, have a read of the email and interpret for yourself.  Personally I think it is great that they are keeping in touch with us and that Teuflesberg is eating, pooping and walking around on the cast.  Keep your fingers crossed for the cast change.
Cheers,
Sabrina

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 12:33 PM
To:
Subject: Teuflesberg

Dear Teuflesberg Fans:

You are some of the e-mail correspondents that I have on file for Teuflesberg. Please feel free to share this report with your fellow Teuflesberg fans.

Dr. Bramlage has been authorized by Owner/Trainer Jamie Sanders to release the following report on Teuflesberg:

October 26, 2007, 11:00am

Teuflesberg continues to progress well after his surgery on October 11, to treat his double sesamoid fracture in the left front limb which occurred five days prior to the surgery.  He had a fetlock arthrodesis to treat his injury.  In addition to the fractured sesamoids he had significant damage to the blood supply to his distal limb.  His lower limb was cold for 48 hours after the injury.  This forced us to delay his surgery.  His blood supply returned with medication, and stabilization of the limb, and we were able to do the surgery.  Since surgery he has been wearing a cast and we aren’t able to visualize the soft tissues. 

His attitude is great, his appetite is terrific and he uses the operated limb as if nothing has happened to it. 

We have the next major hurdle next week when we do the first cast change.  This is normally scheduled at 2-3 weeks because if the visual examination at that time is good, you don’t have to worry about the blood supply any longer.  He remains on medication to improve the blood supply until we can visualize the limb. 

Larry R. Bramlage, DVM, MS, Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons

Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital

Regards,

Robin Murray

Public Relations

Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital

P.O. Box 12070

Lexington, KY 40580

(859) 233-0371

(859) 255-5367 Fax

• Edited 10/26/2007 12:40 pm ET by SabrinaS06
Msg 59 of 117 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 58
LindaVA3

10/26/07

Great news!  Thanks for sharing this report with us.
Msg 60 of 117 to GuestGuest 

10/26/07

This is good news that Tuuf is managing fine. A few carrots from his FOBs to help him root for his favorite stablemates today and tomorrow at Monmouth Park are always an added incentive towards the healing process, too (I think :)
Msg 61 of 117 to GuestGuest 
LyndaP31

10/26/07

YAY!!! It sounds good!! Thanks for the update!!!!!
Msg 62 of 117 to GuestGuest 

10/26/07

Thanks for the great update from Dr. Bramlage at R&R ... keeping everything crossed that the cast change is uneventful and completely successful! 
Msg 63 of 117 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 62

10/26/07

here's to a bland-ola cast change!
Msg 64 of 117 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 63

10/26/07

Right on, Anna!!!  For sure!!
Msg 65 of 117 to GuestGuest 
marygran

10/26/07

Thank, Sabrina, and thanks to Dr. B and R&R for thinking of us.  So far, so good with Teuf!  I will pray the cast change goes well.

Mary in MD

Msg 66 of 117 to GuestGuest 

10/26/07

Thanks for the update.  Keeping my fingers crossed for good news from the cast change!
Msg 67 of 117 to GuestGuest 
lawrek2

10/26/07

Thank you for the up-date.  I will keep him in my prayers that all continues to go well.

Karen