POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Latte the pony @ Equihab   Horse Rescue Updates

Started by drafthorsemd; 117 views.
drafthorsemd

12/3/07

Latte the pony is here! 

She is safe and comfortable.  Due to the sudden extremely cold sleety weather, she's going to be living in a stall for the next few days.  As I type this we're having major high winds so bad the power is flickering.   When this storm breaks, she can go out.

Day 1 photo:

Here she is right after being unloaded.  Her fur may look funny, and that's because she was soaking wet from being out in the sleet storm all morning:

She's so friendly it's hard to get a photo of her without her sticking her face in the camera:

Day 2:  She's dry and settled in.    I brushed her well, but her fur wants to stay a little wavy.  

Despite having lots of good hay, she's not eating much of it.  Knowing how far behind on dental care she is, it may be uncomfortable for her to eat hay.  I'm making her a soaked haypellet slurry & offering it several times a day, which she LOVES. 

Now she is nickering to me when she sees me at the stall door with a bucket.

It's good food but she makes a bit of a mess when she's eating it... she gets so carried away! 

The first available appointment with our vet was scheduled. Since it's not an emergency they asked if we could wait until next Mon (12/10).  Dr Donna Moore, our usual vet in the practice, is unavailable this week.  Dr Moore is especially sympathetic to helping the unlucky/neglected horses, so we'd prefer to wait for her to be Latte's vet.

The farrier has looked at her feet and will get them trimmed in the next few days. Perhaps tomorrow, if the weather improves any.    We'll be taking before/after photos of the feet to document them as a hoof rehab project, and if you're interested I can post pics of the progress.   The only hurdle I am concerned with is the former owner said Latte always needed tranqulizer for any hoofcare.   We don't like to use drugs if we can help it, so there may be a gentle learning curve as Latte learns to trust us holding each foot up.  (And sometimes even with drugs, it doesn't solve everything).  

I try to be back in a few days with an update.  Due to other Equihab responsibities as well as my job & personal obligations, I apologize if sometimes I am not here on ABR every day.  I do welcome questions or inquries, so if you need a faster answer just email directly:  may@equihab.com    Thank you!

In reply toRe: msg 1

12/3/07

Ah my goodness, is she or isn't she the sweetest little thing! That close up is ADORABLE! BUMP for Latte!

Lily

12/3/07

THANK YOU for all you are doing for Miss Latte, I am sure she appreciates it very much as we all do :)

12/5/07

Hi,

Thank you for taking care of little Latte.  I was with Stephany the day she went to see her and my heart broke for this girl.  She looked so sad and depressed.  However, I can see happiness in her face from the photo you took of her after unloading her.  I'm sure she knows that she is going to be loved and taken care.

A million "thank you's".  Please keep us posted on her progress.

Sue

12/5/07

may, it was great to see everyone on saturday and to see the bazaar went so well. tell pam to call me  when she is available. latte looks great! majela
In reply toRe: msg 5
drafthorsemd

12/7/07

Sorry it took me a few days to come back online to give an update. Believe me when I say it's been a crazy week.  Pam got injured and our other Board member Rachel was dealing with an Equihab draft who learned how to break the fence (repeatedly).     It's never a dull moment here.  :-)

Anyway... more about Latte:

It sleeted on Sunday when we picked her up, we got 3" of snow Wed, and today again it was flurries.   Here are some picks of me handwalking Latte around to give her a change of scenery & attention.   I walked around the house and down to the woods.  Snow was so deep you can't see her hooves.   

The winter weather that was bothering us all week has finally broken, so we moved Latte tonight to Pam's farm.  (She had been on my 15ac farm because I had an open stall; she was soaked & shivering when she arrived).  Tonight she'll get used to Pam's herd over the fence from the safety of a solo pen, and in daylight tomorrow she'll be turned out under supervision.     I couldn't take good pics of her yet because it was dark when we moved her, but as soon as we get updated pics I will post them.

I'm sorry I'm not here on ABR daily.  Right now I'm unable to get online from work and my evenings have been so nuts I'm not getting my computer time.  I miss you all!  If anyone wants a faster update on Latte, you can email us.   I'd suggest trying Pam first since Latte is on Pam's farm (pam@equihab.com), but you're always welcome to email me (may@equihab.com) or call us 443-466-4087

Vet is still scheduled for Monday, probably in the afternoon.  I'll give you an update as soon as I can, once I get the vet's report.

Latte is doing well overall.  She's happier outside of the stall.  She's very talkative to the other horses and is happier when she's in with others.   Health-wise she's been doing good.   She's enjoying the hay-pellet mush we've offered her, and even with bad teeth she can eat it.     Her energy level and curiosity have been very good.  She's a peppy little pony full of personality!

Latte says "thank you for your support!"

All the best,

May

CarolB21901

12/7/07

I'm so glad to hear that Latte is doing well. She's a real cutie!

Thanks,
Carol B

wisdomkeeper

12/7/07

Oh, my goodness - is she every adorable!  Send her a hug for me - I saved her photo as my Desktop background and may need her autograph.

Seriously, she's beautiful and you all are great for helping her.

12/7/07

May, Little Latte is just adorable!! Thank you.
In reply toRe: msg 9
drafthorsemd

12/7/07

Thanks for all the kind words!  I'm glad everyone enjoyed her photos.

She's a real sweetheart.  If anyone wants to meet her, just drop us a line & we'd be happy to have you drop by.   Or maybe once she's gained some weight, we can take her out to an event so everyone can see her.