Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

PRANCER - ON HIS WAY TO SLAUGHTER   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by Guest; 14 views.

12/15/07

I dont know how to start this, or even if there is any hope for finding this poor 12 yr old gelding, I guess I am just going to put this out there and pray for a miracle.

Last week I was contacted by a grandfather who had bought a 12 yr old gelding "Prancer" for his granddaughter. They only had him a few months and he started to have problems with his ear. Vet (who happens to be my vet also) went out two times, biopsied a tumor in his ear, not cancerous but would require surgery, or being pts.

I was called with the possibility that a retirement home sanctuary could be found for him. The owner  did not have enough pasture to keep Prancer and buy his granddaughter another riding horse.  I asked for permission to speak with the vet to find out the prognosis. I asked the owner if he was ok to put Prancer to sleep if this was best for him. He said he would, and just wanted to explore all avenues as he was a very sweet horse.  After speaking with the vet, he advised the tumor was slow growing but was causing him pain and would eventually lead to a painful death if surgery was not done. The vet said the best thing would be for Prancer to be pts, because of the owners financial situation and the surgery could run up to thousands.

After speaking with the vet, I called the owner back to ask about the possibility of taking Prancer down to Hagyard in Lex, to find out exactly what could be done (if anything) and the cost.  I was told that they had found someone to take him. When I asked who it was... I was given the name (which I wont say right now), but he is the biggest KB in Kentucky! I was (am) sick to my stomach and explained to the owner who this person is. They had no idea, and for the past few days we have been trying desperately to find Prancer. KB would not return calls, and then someone at is holding pen said Prancer was no longe there.

I learned this morning from the KB that Prancer was loaded on the truck yesterday and is on his way to Mexico. The owners are very upset and feel terribly guilty that they had never heard of this persons name and his reputation. It is not clear, but I think the owners thought he was going to a retirement place.

I am looking for a miracle. I know they happen on this board all the time.  They happen for Passionsmom... Is there anything we can do to locate this truck and try to save Prancer from this horrific death.  Prancer is already suffering with balance problems and is in pain, I cant bear to think that he will have to end his life this way.  

Please accept my apologies, if I have been unclear but I am trying to type this up quickly, through the tears, and put it out to the FOB universe.

Sadly, there is no photo of Prancer. I never even got to meet him, and was going to this weekend.  The owner discribe him as 'sable brown' ?? with white socks, no blaze, quarterhorse mix, 12 yr old gelding.  You can visibly see the problem with his left ear, he holds his head to one side, and cannot have a halter on due the pain.

I know deep in my heart there is nothing we can do for him now... please send prayers for Prancer.

Thank you

Deb

Msg 2 of 625 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1
kckellsbells

12/15/07

Prayers for Prancer.  This is a season for miracles...

12/15/07

Thank you Kelly,

You are right, it is the season for miracles.

Deb

Msg 4 of 625 to GuestGuest 
MargieM17

12/15/07

Do you mind if I fax your post to my representatives? Prayers for Prancer.

Margie

In reply toRe: msg 4
annielouky

12/15/07

Deb.

I was just filled in on this whole mess.

Most likely the load is going to Presidio, TX, which would be closer than the one in El Paso. Or they may be going to the Beltex holding facility, if it is still open for business. Working to find out about that now.

Unfortunately, it looks very grim to get Prancer back. 

Annie 

12/15/07

Annie..

Indeed the Beltex slaughter feedlot is still open and sending horses to slaughter.

Lynn

Msg 7 of 625 to GuestGuest 

12/15/07

Deb,

Can you find out if the KB that shipped Prancer takes his loads to Beltex? If so, he is a buyer for Beltex. Once the horses land on that lot Beltex owns them. If the horse is headed to the Beltex feedlot there is a chance we might be able to find him and negotiate for his safety. I have two very strong contacts in the area. Let me know how I can help.

Lynn

Msg 8 of 625 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 7
annielouky

12/15/07

Lynn,

sent you an e-mail, will send another one. No need to alert "certain eyes".

Annie

12/15/07

Will check now!

Msg 10 of 625 to GuestGuest 

12/15/07

Prayers for Prancer and his companions on this truck.

We ask for protection of the highest order to accompany Prancer.  May comfort and compassion surround him and may his path be lit and cleared by the angels. May he be sure of the love and protection that walks with him.  Asking that circumstances unfold that support his highest and greatest good.

• Edited 12/15/2007 2:46 pm ET by Padraig44