The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

OVER THE TOP FOR 1/29/08!   Barbaro and Family

Started by Nancy from CT (nancyinct); 6 views.

I am just so proud of you generous people I can hardly contain myself - on Monday Lyn Gilbert will present New Bolton's Laminitis Fund with a check for $7,000 for the "Honoring Barbaro's Life and Legacy" tribute.  A supplement check will be issued later in the week as there are several hundred dollars outstanding and people still requesting to make PayPal donations (lyn.gilbert@gmail.com) through the 29th!  Although I never posted a goal for this campaign, I did have an "internal goal" of $5,000 which, for a variety of reasons, I wasn't sure we'd attain...SILLY ME!

There are many people to thank, but FIRST on the list is Padme (Lyn Gilbert), who graciously took on the job of Treasurer of this operation!  I kept a spreadsheet of pledges which she had to keep updated with actual funds received...a thankless task for sure!  (This is the second time I've asked her to do this...I dare not press my luck and ask again!)  BRAVA, LYN!  And also I'd like to thank her for taking care of delivering the rose and card to Dr. Kathy Anderson at Fair Hill and, of course, for representing us at New Bolton on Monday.

The following people will receive a white rose in a bud vase with greenery, decorated with ribbons in Lael Stable colors and adorned with an FOB pin, and also a personalized note from me on behalf of the Fans of Barbaro:  Alex (no, he wasn't mentioned before because he's always "snooping around" and we wanted to surprise him); Dr. Anderson; Peter Brette; Eduardo; Michael Matz; Edgar Prado; Dr. Richardson; Dr. Sweeney.  Mr. & Mrs. Jackson will receive a bud vase, decorated in the same way, with two white roses and also one red rose representing Barbaro's Kentucky Derby triumph...

(Updated to include two wonderful people I forgot to mention...I should NEVER try to do something important when I have a fever...)  Special thanks and my gratitude are due to the following people:

Mercy from FL & Bev in SC, for donating the beautiful green/blue rhinestone FOB pins (maybe another fundraiser in the making?)...

Sophie's Lee for his dramatic, understated ideal of "one perfect rose" to symbolize that Barbaro was a perfect specimen of a horse...

Anna from TX for donating the beautiful large note cards on which I wrote messages for the recipients...

Our dear "bird-man" Jake, who kindly translated my message to Eduardo into Spanish to make it "reader-friendly"...

Our dear friends Alie and Rachel at Kennett Florist - it was only in dealing with two florists in Florida and one in Texas who don't know about us that I realized what fantastic customer service we have received from these famblee members for the past 20 months - THEY GET IT!...

Lynda P and Julie Z in TX, for taking care of the presentation to Alex at Sam Houston tonight...

Everyone who bumped this thread, who spread the word through emails, or in any other way served as a tribute cheerleader... 

Sharon C for being sure that the AP article mentioned the presentation at New Bolton on Monday...

And, finally, to all of you who gave from your hearts to help defeat this insidious disease, pat yourselves on the back for a job well done...ALL FOR THE LOVE OF THAT BIG BOSS HORSE!

With heartfelt appreciation and blessings to all of you,

Nancy

• Edited 1/28/2008 9:23 am ET by nancyinct
KammyGirl9

12/25/07

Great idea, Nancy and Lynn!!!  I'll be in touch!

BUMP!

12/26/07

***BUMP*** sounds great to me!
jamielsg

12/26/07

This is a wonderful idea and I would be honored to be included! Thanks to everyone who started this!  I love the idea of the perfect rose.  Perfect, like Barbaro is in Heaven.  See you There, Sweet B'.........I love you Barbaro. Jamie Gillispie FOB Johnson City, TN

For the love of one horse, Heavenly Barbaro, we began.  For the well-being of all horses, we continue.

LauraJS (ljswisc)

12/26/07

Is Lyn going to New Bolton that day to present the check? The reason I ask is that I will be doing the same that week to present the donation from the Barbaro ornament fundraiser. Let me know perhaps we can coordinate something together since I'm coming from Wisconsin?
Lyngil10

12/26/07

Hay, Laura!

Sure we can coordinate...would love to meet you...oh, this is going to be fun...:)

Healing,Love, Peace
ONS
Padme (Lyn)

LauraJS (ljswisc)

12/26/07

Hi Lyn, Yes this should be quite fun. I've been communicating with Kate Judge at UPENN and I think we've decided to present the check on either the Sunday or Monday before the 29th. She spoke with the staff at New Bolton and they want the 29th to be a very low key day. They want to just try to get through the day. I can certainly respect that. I'm waiting to hear back from her about doing the presentation a day or two before that date which was also her thoughts as well. They will be having a big press release on the internet on that day re-capping all that has been accomplished since 1/29/07 for the laminitis fund. I'm hoping she'll either call or write back today so I'll keep you posted. Thanks!!

Laura - this is just great that you will be meeting up with Lyn for dual presentations to the Laminitis Fund!  I'm hoping for Monday the 28th because it's unlikely that Dr. Richardson and Dr. Sweeney will be there on Sunday to receive their roses (and our check)!

Nancy

• Edited 12/26/2007 8:24 am ET by nancyinct