The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Big Al's Choice update - FFI   Horse Rescue Updates

Started 12/26/07 by FerdinandFFI; 7 views.
FerdinandFFI

12/26/07

I wanted to update you about Al.  For those of you who don't know his story... Al came to FFI in early October with a bone chip in his knee.  His alternative was slaughter - we were thrilled that we were able to take him.  He will be riding sound, and removing the chip wasn't going to give him much more athletic ability.   Al is a 3 year-old, full of spunk thoroughbred who decided he wasn't going to leave his stall.... no way.... forget it.  Well, for awhile that was OK because he was on stall rest with his knee injury.  But, the time came for handwalking, and we had a real problem on our hands.  He would not budge.  I consulted everyone I know, tried all of the suggestions and nothing worked.  I figured I had to move him to a new facility and maybe whatever monster that lived outside his stall wouldn't follow us.  So, not being one to give-up easily - I blindfolded Al and spun him around in circles in his stall for about 30 minutes and after we were both dizzy, I backed him out the door and viola... onto the trailer he went.  The trick worked, we left the monster behind and Al now eagerly leaves his stall to go on handwalks.  Now, he came to live with me, and we built him his very own 50x75 small paddock, and hopefully it will be complete and the gate hung by the end of the week.  Until then, he enjoys his walks (me - not so much - lots of bucking, spinning, jigging) and that's all that matters.  Here are pictures we took today - with his shiny new halter that SANTA sent!  (thank you Santa!)  He has toys in his new stall, and not surprisingly he LOVES them.  What does surprise me is he is bashful about playing with them, so I haven'y gotten any pictures yet. 

Enjoy!  Thank you for your support!

Al3.jpg picture by friendsofferdinand

Al2.jpg picture by friendsofferdinand

Al1.jpg picture by friendsofferdinand

Al4.jpg picture by friendsofferdinand

WendyinMI (wendrew)
Staff

12/26/07

Big Al looks GREAT!  I have a very good friend that we (me and all my friends) call "Big Al".  I'll have to let him know about your guy!  My friend Big Al is a horse guy :)

Wendy

FerdinandFFI

12/26/07

he really is just adorable.... in a Denis the Menace kind of way... he's into everything.  Favorite thing - unzipping coats and pulling sweathshirt strings. 
marygran

12/26/07

He is adorably cute!  Thanks for sharing his story and pics with us.

Mary in MD 

MJ42903

12/26/07

He is so beautiful, especially in his new red halter.  That story is so funny.  I never heard of a horse who was too afraid to leave his stall.  I learn something new everyday here at ABR.
Brambles

12/26/07

I am sorry I have lost track, but is Big Al the fellow we were asked to donate toys for while he was on stall rest and who had that really ratty halter held together with duct tape?  Never heard from you folks afte I sent some stuff so I thought I would check.

Janet

• Edited 12/26/2007 8:57 pm ET by Brambles
FerdinandFFI

12/26/07

Hi Janet

Yes... you are the Santa referred to in the post.  I think with Christmas, we've fallen behind on our thank you notes. We should be getting caught-up in the next week or so.   In that picture you referred to, he was wearing a cribbing collar that was wrapped in vet-wrap and quilting batting to give it cushion and prevent it from rubbing sores and making scars on his pretty head.  He has since stopped cribbing after we moved him and doesn't need it anymore.  That is also your halter he is wearing!

Thank you

Sara

• Edited 12/26/2007 9:03 pm ET by FerdinandFFI
Brambles

12/26/07

He truly looks wonderful.  I am so glad he stopped cribbing.  Those poor boys at the track have nothing to do most of the time and I guess cribbing is a way to pass the day. YOu have done a great job with him,  Sara.  Thank you so much for taking such wonderful care of him.

Janet

FerdinandFFI

12/26/07

the lickit helps.  I know he plays with it, I just haven't seen it!  If I'm around the corner, I can hear it hit the barn wall, and will often find it swinging... Al of course is looking at me with that "what I didn't do it?" look. 
wisdomkeeper

12/27/07

He's so handsome!  I love his look in the last picture.

Give him a carrot for me, okay?  And tell him he looks MAHHHVelous in his new halter.