Discussion

Low-Cost home for my mare, NE Penna   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by Guest; 1630 views.
Msg 40 of 59 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 39
Ponytale1976

1/3/08

To clarify my stance on this one last time:

I have been employed and filed income tax returns under the position of Veterinary Technician and Kennel Technician for over 10 years and was paid accordingly. I stopped working in my veterinary technician position in May 2006 upon rupturing a disk in my back lifting a German Shepard on the X-ray table to do rads on him at my job at a 24 hour ER hospital as a vet tech. I then moved to the state of Pennsylvania, and I have not worked since then because I have a wonderful husband that makes a great living and supports our family. So maybe a better choice of words would have been this:

"I was previously employed as a veterinary technician, and now run a horse rescue"

It was never my intention to mislead or deceive, because if it was, I would not have answered the original question promptly and accurately. All of this information is available on my website as well. I am not a novice horse person by any stretch of the imagination, I am however an injured horseperson who now has limits which I am very well aware of and they prohibit me from doing alot of what I used to. Which is why I choose to keep my rescue small, and not take in anything that is difficult to manage.

In reply toRe: msg 40

1/3/08

Let me clarify what I've been trying to say. According to the laws of most states in this country, it doesn't matter how long you have worked in a vet's office or have been called a vet tech by your employer. If you have not completed a program at an accredited school and passed a national licensing exam, you can not really represent yourself as a vet tech. While a private employer may have chosen to call you a vet tech, in fact, you were actually a vet assistant.

I'm impressed that you had the time and energy to run a boarding stable as well as working at a vet clinic. Too bad about your injury. I too have suffered from back issues and they can certainly limit one's activities. You've just stated that you know your limitations and are purposely keeping your rescue small. Probably a wise decision. Why are you now looking to move to a significantly larger facility that will certainly involve a huge increase in your work load and in physical labor - and that is before any additional horses get there.

Msg 42 of 59 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 41

1/3/08

Thanks to this thread, I've just had to go through an explaination of truth vs lie with my son.  I am posting here under his account (so this is not "AppysRock1" but his mother).

There is no such thing as "Vet Tech by trade" any more than there is a "RN by trade".  A DVM either does have vet techs who have passed the test, etc or vet assistants who have not.  Vet techs are tested/licensed because they are legally allowed to do certain limited invasive procedures on horses they don't own.  Holding pee cups and filling out forms at USEF shows does not require a vet tech.  DVMs and PHDs don't just willy nilly title an employee as Vet Tech or RN (Registered Nurse). 

I have never heard anyone call themselves a Nutritionist who did not have both a degree in animal science AND experience in working with either feed mills or some other professional experience with an employer in that capacity.  The four real equine nutritionists that we've worked with all have additional certifications for specific metabolic issues or animals.  At least 50% of the horse owners I know are continually studying nutrition, that doesn't make them a nutritionist, only a responsible horse owner.  Now, I may be mistaken, but I don't think this person has posted any professional experience as a Nutritionist, only that she studied along with a class without benifit of instructor feed back on if her learning was even correct?

So I have told my son that he should NEVER use titles that are not true because that is a lie... What I haven't been able to answer is why so many adults have posted that it is okay for this person to lie.  Or why others on this board are acussed of lieing and getting bashed for it by the same people saying it is okay on this thread.  I'm at a loss, so could someone who has said its okay to mis-represent yourself, please post an explaination for a 14yo boy that I am trying to raise to be an honest and good man?

It is sad that this is even a debate between what I'm assuming are adults.  I certainly would not want to be treated by a "RN by trade" or a "Dentist by trade" yet it is acceptable here to mis-represent yourself?  Why is it so hard to just be honest?

My son has been allowed to have an account her to do a research project.  It had been titled "Challenges of Horse Rescue", but now he wants to rename it "Deceipt in Horse Rescue" and is working on a new outline for that report.  I'm not so certain that that would not be a better project given what we've been reading on this board.

Msg 43 of 59 to GuestGuest 
Ponytale1976

1/3/08

As I stated previously we have no intention on increasing the amount of horses by any signifigant number. The move to the larger facility is for the hay that we can get off the fields and for the pasture land that we don't have here. We will be hiring someone to care for the boarded horses that I will over see and that money will cover the expenses of the rescued horses so that the rescue will not have to rely on outside funding.  There is no intention on springing into a large sacale rescue facility.
In reply toRe: msg 43
Ro1708

1/3/08

I thought this thread was about helping Ann  find affordable board for her horse.
CherylJone2

1/3/08

amen to THAT, Ro.   Key words  "Helping",  Ann, or any other name that would apply, and "HORSES"
Msg 46 of 59 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 42
forestandcod

1/3/08

What do PhD's have to do with RN's?
Msg 47 of 59 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 42
forestandcod

1/3/08

I seriously doubt that there was any intention to deceive.  30+ years ago I was employed by veterinarians who referred to me as a vet tech although I was actually an RN.  I am certain that the vets did not mean to deceive anyone. Laws are much clearer today about titles and licensing requirements than they were in the past.
Msg 48 of 59 to GuestGuest 

1/3/08

At the risk of fanning the flames ... unless you are planning to offer Laurie a job, why do you care about her credentials? She seems to be doing a good job with her rescue, which does not require "credentials," so why is it such a big deal to you?
In reply toRe: msg 48

1/3/08

And I should have said, as someone else so rightly did before me, that this thread is about a woman who needs an economical place to board her horse!! How did it morph into an attack on Laurie??