MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Strawberry Mt - Jessie needs a hoof!   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by dcsmmi; 8 views.
dcsmmi

1/28/08

Strawberry Mountain Mustangs has a new resident!

Jessie came to us just yesterday by way of a very heroic couple. I will copy and paste their story in the next post - but let's just say that without them, Jessie would be on his way to a Washington feed lot today or tomorrow.

Here is the original email we received:

"I am acquainted with a woman who is about to send her 8 year old quarterhorse to slaughter via Washington and then to Canada. I have no place to keep him as I live in town. He has had part of his hoof wall removed in order to remove bad hoof and let the good hoof grow in. He also has a urinary tract infection. I talked to the vet who was treating him and he thinks he will heal and be good for light riding someday. The owner has lost interest in getting him healed or keeping him because he will most likely never be a barrel horse again!!!! What can I do, she is sending him off anyday. I can't take him, do you know of any organizations that can??? He is a sweet young gelding who has come into some bad luck. I can't hardly look at this person anymore and I can't convince her not to do this because she doesn't want to keep him or bear the costs of humanely putting him down."

Jess has, literally, only half a hoof. What started out as a crack that became infected, soon became a whole hoof resection. Because the owner did not care for the hoof right, when it grew most of the way back, it wasn't attached to the laminae. SO, this poor horse had to have most of that hoof removed as well. He has endured this not once, but twice. Still, he has a wonderful, easy going personality and kind eye.

Our wonderful Dr's at Bailey Vet Clinic in Roseburg are brushing up on their reading and research and are ready to meet Jessie next Tuesday the 5th. At that time, we will compare the records from the last vet (if the owner follows through and sends them) and we will take updated x-rays to check for rotation of the coffin bone.

Right now, according to the last vet's instructions (which we will follow unless our doctors give us another route next week) Jess must wear a Mac boot with an added pad in the bottom. The boot is on it's last legs and will soon need replaced. The pads are $6.00 for two - and I'm sure we'll use several each week. The hoof is powdered w/ topical antiseptic which also helps with moisture/fungus every other day, and once a week, an iodine treatment. I gather there should have been a monthly debridement, although it's unclear whether that has taken place.

I'll know more on costs next week after seeing the vet. I'm sure that visit will be a couple hundred, including x-rays. If they choose to do a debridement - then more. I don't yet know the costs of the medicated powder, or if they will have me continue with it. Right now, immediate costs have been: $45 for biotin supplement (which I'm adding to a product called Cellerator - probiotic, blood builder etc - wonderful product - but close to $100) the pads, hopefully a new boot and lots and LOTS of shavings for bedding - at approximately $15 per stall change. The added shavings will be really tough on the ole budget!! I would "guestimate" we are looking at another 6 months or better of recovery, IF everything goes well.

As for the UTI, the wonderful angel who delivered Jess thought that he may be over it, but she also heard rumors of stones. I'll be chatting w/ the vet about that as well. I am open to any advice on either subject. If anyone has any great tips or tricks that worked for them - please pass them along!

So, today, instead of standing in a muddy feedlot with only half a hoof & waiting to die, Jessie is @ Strawberry Mt in a deep pile of shavings with a clean dry hoof. I'll have to ask someone to post pics for me, but I think you'll agree, he looks grateful.

Any help - advice, donations, cross posting, well wishes - ALL will be appreciated.

Darla

Strawberry Mountain Mustangs Inc
An Oregon 501(c)(3) Non Profit Organization
Our Wiki Page

• Edited 1/29/2008 12:04 am by dcsmmi
dcsmmi

1/29/08

Sorry for 2 long posts - but this is the story of Jessie's angels - Gari Jo and her husband Dean.

Hi everyone -

I just have to tell you about 2 very amazing people, their desire to save a horse, and what happened here at Strawberry Mt yesterday.

First - our power has been off again since yesterday (no heat, no water) - so if I don't respond, that's why. We have, here at 1200 ft, a foot and a half of snow. That's absolutely unheard of in this area.

Last week, a woman named Gari Jo (sounds like Gary) contacted me about a "slaugterbound horse". A woman she works with had a reg'd Qtr gelding who has gone through not one, but two hoof resections. The first one failed because SHE didn't care for it properly. Now, the vet has given the owner the news - he'll never compete again. The gelding, Jessie, was no longer useful to her, and he was going to be sent to the Yakima feed lot in WA. Gari Jo was incensed, and started emailing rescues around the state, looking for an alternative. She had no where to keep the boy, and there were no boarding options for him in the area. Whispering Winds and I both responded to her emails for help, asking for more information, or in the alternative, offering funds for euthanasia. (The owner would not euthanise him because "cost" her money.) I will post another thread about this beautiful boy later today.

On Saturday, emails were exchanged, and it was agreed that because of the massive snow storm headed for So. Oregon, Gari Jo and her husband would take Wednesday off work and haul Jessie to us, here at Strawberry Mountain. This, in itself, speaks volumes to how big of a heart this couple has. They are taking time off work, driving from Prineville to Roseburg with a horse that doesn't belong to them (has since been signed over) to save his life.

On Sunday morning, I awoke to a short email from Gari Jo. "It's 6 am, we're leaving now." By 9 am in Roseburg, it was snowing HARD. By 9:30, Gari Jo and her husband had made it south to Hwy 138 coming west, heading over the pass. So far so good, but it was still snowing HARD here, and the pass is several thousand feet higher than we are. At this point, I'm thinking they're nuts. Why on earth would they be hauling this horse in weather like this??? Why not wait??

A tree over the road at the summit caused them to stop and wait with Jess for about 3 hours in the cold. They passed wrecks coming down the hill, but made it to Roseburg. The last leg was the mile long road up Strawberry Mt. HERE, they had to chain up. No way Jess could walk that far on his bad hoof. My truck was sliding all over the road, 4 wheel, low gear, tires spinning for a full mile. Gari Jo's amazing husband Dean, made it to within a few hundred yards of the parking area, then broke a chain. We had to unload Jessie and walk him the rest of the way.

The next several hours were a blur. Their truck was stuck, we dug it out, it got stuck again. At one point, it was almost jack knifed on our hill. We had to unhook and block their trailer on our hill, dig the truck out again, (got it stuck again) dug it out again, raked and shoveled the entire drive, and finally got it safe enough to re-hook, back the trailer to a safe parking area, and Gari Jo and her husband headed for a hotel. By now their ordeal was 12 hours in the making.

The reason for the risk and the insanity? Gari Jo had called the owners late Saturday, telling them of our plans for Wednesday. The curt reply was, "he won't be here". We had simply run out of time and options.

As I lay in bed last night, I was just hit so hard by what these people, these strangers, had done. The risk involved was - over the top. I don't know how else to describe it. Their time, their diesel costs, the wear and tear on their vehicle. It was a heart stopping, gut wrenching, stressful day for everyone.

Once in a great while, someone comes along that renews your faith in the human race. I met two of those people yesterday, and I wanted to share.

Darla

1/29/08

Darla,

Many thanks to you, and the persistant couple who brought him to you, for saving this lucky horse!

Shirley

In reply toRe: msg 3
Heland

1/29/08

BUMP FOR JESSIE !!

Thank all of you wonderful people, the ones who transported against all the terrible weather, for Strawberry Mtn. rescue for taking him and giving him a chance to hopefully recover.

Please keep us all posted on his progress and needs.

Helen

In reply toRe: msg 4
PreciousSOH

1/29/08

BUMP FOR JESSIE !!

In reply toRe: msg 1

1/29/08

Bump for help for Jessie, please -
Msg 7 of 173 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 6
PreciousSOH

1/29/08

Deb, how's yer internet holding out?
In reply toRe: msg 7
quatzie

1/29/08

Darla,

I just read Jessie, story WLD should never (all most never) be a reason to put a horse down, it can be fixed it just takes time/money/love. I know you will do your best with this guy he sure looks like a nice horse.

Here are two links for WLD and Hoof information. 

White Lighting is one of the "best" products for WLD,  I have used it over the years, I find it's one the best product, as a preventative and infection killer. I get mine at Farrier Supply Store.

I also recommend a protein supplement, unless he is getting EO hay, this will make a big difference in hoof quality. I use soybean meal @ 1 cup per day. Just depends on the protein of your hay.  That and daily care, weekly White Lighting treatments will make a big difference for a horse.

I think Boa boots are running about 150 dollars a pair, maybe we can put a request out for a boot, just will need a size. Old Mac's are about the same price I believe.

Let us know how much you need for this guy I am sure the FOB will help with support and donations.  

DSC00010_1.jpg Jessie1 picture by quatzie

Edited 1/29/2008 10:05 am by quatzie
  • Edited 1/29/2008 12:47 pm by quatzie
quatzie

1/29/08

Here are some pictures of Jessie coming to Strawberry Mountain Mustang Rescue..

DSC00009_1.jpg Jessie2 picture by quatzieDSC00010_1.jpg Jessie1 picture by quatzieDSC00016_1.jpg Jessie picture by quatzie

1/29/08

Darla saved Proud Mary from an uncertain fate and it's time to give something back. So it's MATCH TIME on this thread!!!!!

I'm offering $100. Who's going to meet the challenge? No amount is too small!

Lily