MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Tierra Madre Horse Sanctuary - An Update   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by tierramadre; 137 views.
tierramadre

3/22/08

A huge 'thank you' to all of you who've helped us out with donations over the past week. We've made it thru the keyhole, I guess. Now to make it all the way thru the looking glass. (Translation: we're okay for now, but still need money!)

Teddy, a 19 y/o T-bred, arrived from Tucson last night. According to his human (a very nice woman, btw, who's pregnant & doesn't feel she can keep a horse & a child - at least for now), Teddy has some behavioral problems. He's supposed to get downright rank & crazy-acting on a lead sometimes. Can't be ridden anymore - bad ankles from being a jumpin' horse (why didn't that surprise me?!?)

Anyway, the truck bringing Teddy here broke down outside of Gilbert, AZ & a 3-hour ride turned into a 7-hour ride. But Teddy came off the truck & walked into his new home just as nice as can be.

I see by looking at him that the muscles in his withers & hindquarters are pretty atrophied. His problem is clear....he has a real bad back.

I'll get Dr. Wood (one of the very best vet/equine chiropractors anywhere)to come fix him. We've had at least a dozen horses undergo his treatment & they all bounced right back. It isn't free, of course, but what matters is that Teddy be given the luxury of spending the next decade or so pain-free.

Here's my two cents: If you love your horse & want him/her to be healthy & not half-crippled for most of his/her life, DO NOT let him/her become a jumper or a barrel-racer or one of those horses that have to come to a sliding stop (isn't that called Western Pleasure? Whose pleasure, anyway?)

Please don't get all mad at me for saying that, but I have too many equine friends right here at my place that are walking/hobbling testaments to my opinion.

We'll get ol' Teddy fixed up just as soon as we can. He'll be just fine & will be one happy guy for the rest of his sweet, sweet life here at Tierra Madre Horse Sanctuary.

Jim Gath
TIERRA MADRE HORSE SANCTUARY
Rancho Tierra Madre
27115 N. 45th St.
Cave Creek, AZ 85331

http://www.tierramadrehorsesanctuary.org

3/22/08

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the update!  Glad you're in a better position :)

I hope you and your equine friends have a terrific weekend!

Shirley

kckellsbells

3/22/08

Give Teddy a hug from me.  What is your paypal address?

3/22/08

Jim, I too have so many old and banged up cutters, reiners, and a TB with a plate in his leg, oh the list is endless.  It breaks my heart.  All for competition and glory?  Ah, the human ego and its long list of casualties....

Thank you for being there for them.

In reply toRe: msg 4
Barb AZ (bkbeck51)

3/22/08

Bump! for Tierra Madre!
Msg 7 of 16 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 4
tierramadre

3/22/08

Amen to every word you wrote.

Jim

In reply toRe: msg 7
Barb AZ (bkbeck51)

3/23/08

Bump! for all the deserving horses at Tierra Madre.
In reply toRe: msg 9
Barb AZ (bkbeck51)

3/24/08

Jim is doing a wonderful job at fund-raising. His horses even paint to help earn their keep!

http://forums.delphiforums.com/alexbrown/messages?msg=21152.1