MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

TESSA   Horse Rescue Updates

Started 3/28/08 by Guest; 2 views.

3/28/08

Got an update on our Tessa. 

She got her teeth done today.  She had a very long point on one molar and it had worn the corresponding upper molar down a lot. She has a wave mouth according to the dentist. She also had sores inside her mouth from her teeth being in such bad shape. She might be a tad sore for a couple of days but the mouth heals very fast and soon she will be chewing her hay much more comfortably.  I will need to get her teeth rechecked in six months.

She also has a little bit of arthritis in her left front pastern and she is getting one tiny pill daily for this. This is a new med that has just come out and we will see if it helps her.  We think she was used as a reining horse in the past so this and her age probably account for the arthritis.

Tessa found the new grass that was trying to grow in her paddock and she wanted to stay out and nibble it instead of coming into her stall and drinking her water.  Hence her poop was a little dry and that is not good. So now she is kept in at night and is drinking much better and eating her supper. She gets to go out around 10 am after she has eaten her breakfast. 

Since they are having an ice storm now in Colorado, she is snug in her stall with 2 blankets to keep her warm.  I was also told she is a little bit of a diva!  LOL.  So now we will have 2 divas. ;-)

• Edited 3/28/2008 4:43 pm ET by maggiefromMo
Msg 2 of 36 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1
hopelavender

3/28/08

Great news Maggie....very important to have the older ones teeth checked on time!

Glad that you could save her, AND what's one more diva, Huh?

LOL

:)

Christine

Thank you for the update

Msg 3 of 36 to GuestGuest 
dtpq

3/28/08

Maggie,

Great news on Tessa. Sounds like she is pretty healthy, just the normal age related stuff. Two Diva's huh? How funny. I guess Rose is the other Diva? Hope Hawk, Sonny, Star and Buddy as well as Miss Kitty and the dogs are all doing well. Boy, you are getting quite a list of babies to ask about these days(lol).

Are you ready for the move yet? Probably still packing. That Takes forever.

Teri

3/28/08

It will be fun to have the 2 divas. Both of them QHs and both white. Well, actually Rose is considered a flea-bitten gray. She has brown freckles in the summer but her winter coat is pure white. They will look so good together.

Msg 5 of 36 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 4
hopelavender

3/28/08

:) you know what I think about gray horses!
  • Edited 3/28/2008 5:13 pm ET by hopelavender
In reply toRe: msg 3

3/28/08

Our "gang" is doing well.

Actually, I have already packed everything I can. The walls are bare and cubbards are empty. Some clothes are packed. I just need the big truck backed up to the door and a day to throw everything else in it!  LOL.

Msg 7 of 36 to GuestGuest 
kckellsbells

3/28/08

Thanks for the update on Tessa.  I can't wait til she gets to OK!!!
  • Edited 3/28/2008 6:17 pm ET by kckellsbells

3/28/08

I sure will let you know when I need the big truck! LOL

Msg 9 of 36 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 8

3/28/08

Maggie, thanks for the update on Tessa! What is the name of the new little pill?
Msg 10 of 36 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 9

3/28/08

Previcox.  It was developed for dogs but a horse actually needs a small dosage than a dog does. Go figure! 

I've never heard of it but Karen said if Tessa had the least little reaction to it, she would get her off it and on something else.