Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

"Twinkle Toes" pony needs angels   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by Guest; 4 views.

4/10/08

Recently the FOB's helped save 17 ponies from a foreclosed ranch in Nevada.  http://forums.delphiforums.com/alexbrown/messages?msg=20959.1

We at Founder Rehab Ranch have taken one of these ponies, the little one found with horrible feet.  First known as Little C, he has now been renamed Twinkle Toes.  We estimate his age at 2 - 3 years. (that's changed a few times, but finally got a good look at the teeth.)

He arrived at our home Tuesday night.  When I was petting his neck last night he cautiously looked at me out of the corner of his eye like "I like what you are doing, but I don't understand *why* you are doing it... no one has ever done that before...."

One of the curled hooves was hitting his leg when he walked, so last night we used a saw and cut off about half of the curled parts on both sides.  He was such a good boy!

Our plan of action is as follows:

1)  Fatten him up :)  We have fed him both hay and pelleted hay, and he has no idea what pelleted feed is.  So we're going to get him a bale of alfalfa to supplement the grass hay we normally feed.  The UC Davis starvation refeed protocol is to feed only alfalfa.  While he is not technically starving, thanks to the hay they were given prior to transport, he is very low body score - 1 or 2. 

2)  On Monday our vet is coming out to do Xrays.  We will get three or four views of each hoof to try to identify where the bones are.  That will give us the location cues to start working on getting the feet back to a normal position. 

3)  The vets both suggested finding a farrier/trimmer who wasn't frightened by oddities and had a great curiosity about challenging feet!  Lucky for us, we have two available to us who love theraputic cases. 

It is possible (probable) that his first trim will need to be under sedation.  No doubt he has never had his feet done, and is very quick to hike up a back leg!  The sedation, however, needs to wait until he is more stable.

We estimate our first round of expenses for this guy to be:

Ranch Call Monday:   $60  (welcome to Northern Calif!)

Xrays $400 ($50 x 8)

Trims for him will be $50 each, probably every 4 weeks to begin with.  

Thanks for your great wishes for this little guy.  If you would like to help with his expenses, there is a Paypal link on our web site, and our address for contributions by mail as well.

Peg and Beth

Wiki Page: http://alexbrownracing.com/wiki/index.php/Founder_Rehabilitation_Ranch

• Edited 4/10/2008 7:12 pm by FounderRehab
Msg 2 of 195 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1

4/10/08

Photos of Twinkle Toes at Founder Rehab

Twinkle Toes

Twinkle Toes with Bob, a 4 year old Suffolk Punch / Morgan PMU
"baby" that is over 17 hands

Twinkle Toes

Close up of curly feet

Msg 3 of 195 to GuestGuest 
kckellsbells

4/10/08

Your message was truncated but there was no button to click to open the full message.  What is your email addy for donations?

4/10/08

Thanks for getting the pictures posted :)

Email address for Paypal is

donations@founder-rehab.com

Msg 5 of 195 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 4
majxmom

4/10/08

Peg and Beth did phenomenal work with another little guy:

http://www.founder-rehab.com/HobbsFeetCompare.html

I'm sure they will help this one!

4/10/08

(blushing....)  I need to post updated pictures of Sundance / Hobbs too.  He's now barefoot and we can't even tell which foot was so clubbed!

Thanks for the kudos :)

In reply toRe: msg 2
midknight1

4/10/08

Bumping for poor little Twinkle Toes!!

Twinkle Toes

Msg 8 of 195 to GuestGuest 
sjpuleo

4/10/08

Peggy;

I just sent $50 plus fees for Twinkle.

Susan

4/10/08

THANK YOU SUSAN!!!

This little guy will be given the best chance at Founder Rehab.

Shirley

Msg 10 of 195 to GuestGuest 

4/10/08

Peggy,

What amount did you want to have as a target? 

Will he need any special supplements or anything?

Shirley