Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Great horse rescue to consider supportin   General: Horse-related

Started by Guest; 80 views.

11/7/06

I wanted everyone who may not have seen past posts about this horse rescue group to at least be exposed to it. A couple in Woodland, CA just North of Sacramento run a horse rescue. They currently have about 100 horses at their ranch and many others at foster ranches. They rescue most their horses from Northern California race tracks. There have been past postings about them under a CA Horse Rescue thread begun Oct 13th by Karenddub as well as a more recent thread TB Friends.

Any one wanting a good horse rescue to support or considering a donation in Pine Islands or Barbaros or Micheal Matz or the New Bolton staff's honor should consider this group.

There was a recent fire in their area and luckily all his rescue horses made it through but his neighbors weren't so lucky and lost many animals. There are also a lot of sheep farms in the area for example that lost most their animals. TB Friends lost their barns or parts of them, lots of fencing and lots of equipment supplies etc.

Every day on the web site Joe posts an update which includes the stories of new horse rescues, adoptions and his thoughts. It is a joy to read. I am addicted and  now check it every day along with the TWR Barbaro updates.  KB's from the race tracks as well as others call him about horses and he seems to rescue several a week. A truck bound to the slaugher house also stops by regularly and he can take only those he has money for. On a past update it was mentioned that he could have rescued all the horses on the truck for $4,000 but at the time he only had the money to rescue one. How hard that must be to go into a truck bound to slaughter and only be able to rescue one.  Please consider this rescue when considering those you may want to support. Below is today's daily update. Their website is www.tbfriends.com.

Tuesday, November 7th... The writing is never on the wall. No signs from the sky. When there is only enough cash for one, you point and pay. The slaughter truck pulls away and there you are, in the driveway, reassuring the old gal that life will now be better. She might be 125 years old, and she is starving to death. I am almost certain she is a thoroughbred. We make it to the barn, I drop the lead rope, but she stands very still. Her tub of feed is mixed, and Pony Boy knows the routine. He is not allowed near a starving horse until she can eat no more. There can be no anxiety brought by other horses. I named the old gal Babbie, and I have no clue why. Babbie gives a little cry, but it is not from being excited. She is suffering. And she will probably soon die. But the long drive to slaughter in Texas is grueling, and there is no food or water. Babbie can die here with us, knowing there is love, surrounded by other horses. Ginny Annie gladly gives up her round pen and moves inside the barn. All the horses know. The silence can be powerful. Babbie immediately lays down in the round pen and goes to sleep. Her stomach full. Pony Boy watches her for hours...

I realize we are a rescue ranch. But lately the sadness has been overwhelming. Usually starving horses are found in January or February, during a long brutal winter. Starving horses this time of year is hardly normal. Many killers refuse to deal with starving horses. Killers are paid by the pound, so transporting them to Texas is not worth the gasoline money.

And staying happy is a must. We thank God for our friends. The constant support. Our television escapes. The Food Network. 20 hour workdays, and stopping to smell the coffee means stopping to think about what we do. Sometimes it is better not to think. I have spent a lifetime not thinking. Just ask anyone...

When a gelding like Victor comes to us, it is major headlines. Call Katie Couric. Victor is not starving to death. Victor does not have a broken knee or a broken ankle. He is polite. Decent table manners. Victor is one in a million. The race track did not terrorize Victor. Every person in his life has brought him the right food. We stand in awe. Over 300 horses rescued this year, and it is Victor who is perfect.

And it is Victor who we basically ignore...

Because of the 20 hour days, the mixing of feed tubs, the hand walking, the changing of wraps, and continuous cleaning from the fire. Victor is low maintenance.

Cathy and I never liked the term rescue ranch. Makes us sound like we spend all day saving the world. We prefer to be known as a ranch of gratitude. Giving back, because in our hopes and dreams it is animals who give to us. We are forever in debt to animals. Knowing how they love you. Knowing how we lean on them for our happiness.

Enjoy your Tuesday, and be sure to hug your horses.

Joe

Below on the left is the very perfect gelding Victor. He is 3 years old. On the right is Ginny Annie, and she a blast to live with. Ginnie Annie will go into any stall, any round pen, any paddock. Not once has she ever complained about her living conditions.

Please note the below pictures do not match the text. When posted they did, but the pictures are automatically changing each day with Joe's daily updates. I am not sure why - rlo

Located in Northern California, TB Friends is dedicated to the rescue and placement of horses that have been abandoned or neglected. Usually these horses arrive from the race track. The horses obtained by TB Friends are often saved from the brutal trip to rendering facilities in Texas.

When possible TB Friends takes care to select horses well suited to make the transformation to riding mount or show horse. Our proximity to the bay area race tracks, along with the throwaway nature of the racing industry, unfortunately results in a situation where there are many horses in need of rescue, and therefore many horses from which to choose.

At TB Friends we manage to rescue about two hundred horses every year. When we place a horse there is no charge for the care that we provide them here at Shelton Farms. We only ask for the cost of a horse's rescue and transportation to the farm. For most horses this amounts to less than $1000 dollars.

Sadly, we can not save them all. We are limited by the number of horses that we can care for at any one time. However, as we find homes for the horses we have rescued, we replace them by rescuing others. For this reason we ask you to consider purchasing a horse from our farm. Not only are you likely to obtain a beautiful animal, but you will also help us to save more horses.

My cell number is 530-383-2120. Call any old time.

Joe

Edited 11/11/2006 1:39 pm ET by rlo21
  • Edited 11/11/2006 1:53 pm ET by rlo21
Msg 2 of 10 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1
dtpq

11/7/06

You're right. This is a great organization. I have sent a couple of donations to Joe so far and he is the most humble and wonderful man. I plan to support him regularly. I know Bentonbill has suggested getting Purina to donate a ton of food for the horses and I told her I would also write to Purina about this rescue ranch and ask them to donate food for the horses. In fact I have already sent off my letter to them. Maybe if enough of us do it they will respond. She posted their address under TB Friends thread.
In reply toRe: msg 2
LynsWins

11/7/06

i belong to a yahoo group called TBFriends that helps to earmark projects to help Joe and his 'family'. I think if you search yahoo groups for TBFriends you will come acrossed it. right now they have almost raised enough funds to buy him a new generator. good group of people!!
dtpq

11/7/06

Thanks. I will check it out.
Msg 6 of 10 to GuestGuest 

11/7/06

Thank  you for sharing Joe's comments.  I always intend to go to his site but then forget so I'm so grateful that you have shared this and given us the website again.
Msg 7 of 10 to GuestGuest 

11/11/06

Any one interested, please also check out karenddub's Oct 13 post (included below) and be sure to click on the horse grooming links in her post as they provide more information about the fire and Joe's experience on a slaughter truck.  There is also a current thread on this group titled TB Friends.

Good Morning!

I have been following Barbaro's progress through Tim's site and check some of the message boards on occasion.  The video of the MO horses really touched me.

For three years, my family and I have been involved with Joe Shelton in Woodland, CA, who runs a private thoroughbred rescue.  His website is http://www.tbfriends.com/  and he keeps a daily journal that changes each day, so you have to keep up because when the post is gone, it's gone.  Joe and Cathy currently have 95 horses, mostly tb's, but a number of other rescues including several from Humane Society rescue, some left tied to his front gate, and one murder attempt survivor!  There is a huge collection of dogs, cats, a pot bellied pig and a Macaw named Maggie.

My daughter has two tb's she has adopted and has retrained them to be incredible jumpers.  In August, she called me to let me know that Joe had contacted her to let her know that the most recent rescue from the track was a beautiful 3 yr old gelding named Udamanmatt, with severely bowed tendons on both front legs.  Upon the tatoo research, U revealed himself to be the full little brother to my daughter's mare, her first adoptee!  Needless to say, my husband I were down there the next day to add U to our horse family of 3, because obviously, he is my grandhorse and we had to provide him a lasting home. Now we are 4!

Three weeks ago, an arsonist set fires in the rural Woodland area and a horrible firestorm occured in the 70 mph wind that had been blowing all week.  Joe and Cathy were burned out.  They were evacuated in the middle of the night and had the 9 dogs and the Macaw stuffed in the Honda Civic and made it out the drive to safety through the flames.  When they were allowed back in with the firemen at dawn, they were so blessed that God had spared all 95 horses!

This morning, Joe writes of being allowed onto a truckload of horses headed to slaughter and he had only enough money to purchase one, so off he came from the truck.  Here is a link to my daughter's capture of this story on a different horse forum.  Please take a look.

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/wow-neat-interesting-story-112645.html

You can link to the entire thread of this story at http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/omg-how-scary-ca-fires-110641.html

As I said, Joe has 95 horses currently in residence and has adopted about 240 additional horses this year! Please, go to his site at http://www.tbfriends.com/ and you'll find his address and phone number.  I so admire what the Barbaromaniacs are doing for other horses throughout our country.  If you have a little more "help" in you, please consider Joe and his many rescues.

Thanks so much for reading my post.

Karen

Msg 8 of 10 to GuestGuest 

11/11/06

THEY HAVE THEIR OWN THREAD ON "HORSE RESCUES" THEY'RE GREAT! PRAYERS, NANCY
In reply toRe: msg 8
LynsWins

11/12/06

sweet Babs, the starving mare rescued from the KBs truck last week died :( he's having a really rough week!

Sunday, November 12th... It was dark and dismal yesterday, and I am not talking about the weather. The starving mare Babs gave up the good fight, and our vet Lisa came quickly to end her suffering. And then later Sweet Jamie, who lives in Sacramento at a fancy ranch, ruptured an intestine and could not be saved. Our good friend Jessica is heart broken. Cathy and I fed supper and we were in the house by 6:00 p.m. Cold and windy. Wishing the day would hurry and get over with...

Babs came off the slaughter truck last week, and the killer charged me 45 cents a pound. The killer said Babs weighed 800 pounds, and I knew he was stealing my money. We do well with starving horses. A high success rate. But Babs was in trouble, and only Pony Boy brought a shine to her eyes. Oh how she loved Pony Boy. If he would wander away Babs gave a little cry, and then she would search the ranch for him. On Friday Babs began with terrible diarhhea. Late Friday night she was in the barn aisle with Pony Boy, both hiding from the rain. Early yesterday morning Babs went back outside, and after laying down she was not able to rise. Cathy and I pushed and lifted, but Babs was dying. Doctor Lisa came right away, and later Pony Boy stood over her body and grieved.

Jessica of Sacramento is a student at Davis, and she often comes by to say hi. Bringing photos of Sweet Jamie, who can do no wrong. Jessica is always saying I gave her the perfect horse. Sweet Jamie loves to show, loves to trail, loves to cuddle and share an apple. Yesterday afternoon Jessica phones and she is hysterical. Sweet Jamie had ruptured, and Jessica held her as she was sent to heaven. It is like a punch in the stomach. Jessica is 20 years old, with a giant heart. She is forever helping others. Two years ago I had a terrible cold and lost my voice. Never been so sick. Jessica was here every day helping Cathy with chores. She would bring me homemade soup. A stack of magazines and videos. Yesterday Cathy and I were clueless. How do you help a friend who has done so much for you? How do you say sorry, when sorry is obvious? Sweet Jamie had become part of Jessica. Mention one, and you have to mention the other...

It is Sunday, the light almost here, and our ranch is soaked. Two horses came from the race track yesterday, a filly and a gelding. More rain coming tonight, and winter is officially on stage. Enjoy your Sunday and hug your horses. An auction in Roseville today. The killer truck comes Monday or Tuesday. Going on, because going on was always the plan...

Joe

11/13/06

My heart is officially broken for ALL involved.

I'll cry another thousand tears today, but I will call my Senators when I've composed myself.

At least Babs had much love at the end...

• Edited 11/13/2006 1:03 pm ET by glacierlake