POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

PRHR: Sarah Beth needs help   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by BQualset; 7 views.
BQualset

7/16/08

Hi everyone,

I hope most of you remember Sarah Beth (boy it has been a while since I have updated on her!  Sorry for slacking!) the mare that I bought for $10 at the O'Neill, Nebraska auction on 13 October 2007.  She was the third mare rescued with Annie and Cheyenne and had the large proud flesh tumor on her hind leg.  (You can read her story at http://missyshopeequinerescueresource.freehostia.com/Horses_We_Have_Helped.htm ).  Sarah Beth had her proud flesh tumor removed not long after she was first brought back to Phoenix Rising Horse Rescue, but due to her fear of people, she would not allow it to be treated further.  It is really looking better, but it does need to be redone again now that she is allowing people to handle that leg and more willing to allow treatment (thanks to the work that Sam has done with her!!!) .  She is scheduled to have it removed on Saturday (19 July) during the Nip/Tuck Festival.  She is also going to have some spots examined which may have been caused by the hailstorm, but that we are afraid may be sarcoids or more proud flesh areas. 

So, how you can help Sarah Beth:

We have leg wraps that can be used for bandaging her leg after the proud flesh is removed, but we would like to purchase a product called the Equaide Solution to put on the areas that we are concerned about (especially her leg).  The Equaide Solution has been recommended to me as one of the best treatments around for proud flesh and we would like to give it a try.  You can find the information about it at http://www.equaide.com/  We would like to purchase either one 5 oz jar ($75) or two of the 2 oz jars ($32) to try on her.

Please help donate for Sarah Beth.  She has come so far since the auction and now can be haltered and handled by almost anyone.  Her groundwork is progressing well and once the proud flesh is gone, she should be able to start with her under saddle training (can you believe it!).  Sam has been working with her diligently and has truly performed a miracle where Sarah beth is concerned. 

If you can help donate:

Please contact Lynn Schmale at lynnschmale@hotmail.com (lynnschmale @ hotmail.com). 

Her Paypal account is phoenix.rising.horserescue@hotmail.com (phoenix.rising.horserescue @ hotmail.com)  (Please mark paypal donations for Sarah Beth’s Equaide Solution)

Or if you would like to purchase the Equaide Solution directly (http://www.equaide.com/Products.htm) and have it sent to Phoenix Rising the address is:

Phoenix Rising Horse Rescue

C/O Lynn Schmale

87297 473rd Ave

Atkinson, NE 68713

If you would like to donate extra for the Nip/Tuck festival in case more is needed for Sarah Beth’s leg than anticipated,  you can send donations to her vet directly at: 

Amy Halsey
Chambers Veterinary Clinic
200 E. Main St
Chambers, NE 68725
402-482-5760

Please note that it is for Phoenix Rising Horse Rescue c/o Lynn Schmale

In reply toRe: msg 1
gal1231

7/16/08

bumping for help.
In reply toRe: msg 1
midknight1

7/16/08

Bumping up!!

Jen

BQualset

7/16/08

Thank you for the bump!

Brandi

midknight1

7/16/08

Brandi, how much do you think you will need for Sarah Beth?

Jen

BQualset

7/16/08

Thank you for the bump!

Brandi

BQualset

7/16/08

The directions on the website says to use 2mm of ointment on the proud felsh area and then to bandage it.  They say to remove the bandage every 2-3 days and apply more ointment until it gets below the level of the surface of the leg.  Then to do that while changing the bandage every 3-5 days until it is healed (says worst case it takes 3-6 weeks). 

Sarah Beth's proud flesh used to be the size of a baseball!  Then it was removed the first time while she was sedated and it is now probably just slightly above the surface, but about 3 inches in diameter.  When the vet removes it this time, she is going to try to take it down even farther so that it is at least level with the surface of her leg.  If she can do it that far down, then it shouldn't take a lot of the ointment to cover it.  That is why we think that it will take at least two of the small jars. 

We were going to try this last time, but we quickly realized that she wasn't going to let anyone near that leg.  Now though she allows herself to be handled, including that leg, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I just had someone suggest contacting the company and telling them Sarah Beth's story and seeing if they will consider donating some or offering a discount.  Can't hurt to try!

thanks again!

Brandi

midknight1

7/16/08

So it sounds like $75 is needed for the 5 oz jar?

Jen

BQualset

7/16/08

Yes ma'am.

I just sent off an email to the company.  I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Brandi

BQualset

7/16/08

Hi everyone,

I just realized that Phoenix Rising Horse Rescue's wiki page is a little outdated.  Let me contact Lynn and get her to fix it for you.  I can add some of the stuff (address, phone, and email), but not all of it.

I will email her now and make sure she gets on it immediately. (She is currently updating her website, so please be patient!)  lol 

Brandi