Menu

Discussion

New Holland 7/21   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by BevStrauss; 420 views.
In reply toRe: msg 86
alexbrown4
Staff

7/25/08

i have a question for everyone, and before i ask it i will be perfectly honest and state i echo Bev's perspective, VABarb's very eloquent note on the seal issues and so forth.  anyway, here it is ... who is the bad person and who is the good person in this chain of events (and this chain happens more often than we would know):

a. high profile trainer, based at top notch racetrack, sells a horse in his care who is no longer competitive at top notch track, via a horse dealer who works that race track, to low brow trainer at low brow track.

b. low brow trainer at low brow track, after running the horse a few times, sells horse to horse dealer, no questions asked.

c. horse dealer sells horse via kill auction to kill buyer.

d. kill buyer sells horse to rescue after kill auction

e. rescue rehabs horse for new career

f. new owner adopts horse.

cheers, alex 

• Edited 7/25/2008 10:51 am ET by alexbrown4
BevStrauss

7/25/08

Hope your sore horse is OK- and thanks for all you do out there! Together, we are ALL making a difference, in the way that works best for us. And yes, I do think I see a change happening within the racing industry, thanks to the fans including the FOBs........just remember we are trying to turn around the Queen Mary here!

Bev

7/25/08

The racing industry is the worst person in the equation.   These lives are produced, knowing ahead of time how the greatest majority will end up.    Mary H.
BevStrauss

7/25/08

Hey Alex- you can add a few more to that list at the top- the breeders who are putting too many on the ground......the sales companies who are holding 2 yr old sales very early in the year..........the JC who does not assess a fee for retirement and welfare, or track a horse's ownership..........the tracks who pressure the trainers to run their horses or move them out, and allow all sorts of meds........who am I forgetting here?

One thing is obvious to me- the good guy is the owner who adopts the horse from a rescue, which makes room at the rescue for the next one who needs help, gives his horse good care and a solid commitment, proudly tells everyone his horse is a (gasp) rescue, and urges anyone within earshot that rescue is the way to go!

Blueshadow5

7/25/08

Here is my view on this, although not specifically in response to your question.

It is no less legal, or business oriented, for owners/trainers to dump their horses via dealers and auction than it is for kill buyers to ship horses to slaughter (except in CA and IL where the former is legal and the latter is not).  Hence, I have a problem with any defence of the legal right of kill buyers to ship to slaughter, in conjunction with criticism of the legal right of owners and trainers to dump the horses in the first place. It all needs to be addressed. And I happen to believe that only if slaughter for human consumption is banned will the incentives be in place to induce better behavior by the horse industry. Not that you will ever eliminate owner irresponsibility completely - I wish - but you take away an industry which fosters and exploits that irresponsibility for profit and to the terrible detriment of horse welfare in the pipeline.

I also take issue with any statement which defends those engaged in the slaughter of horses for human consumption as providing a disposal service for the horse/TB industry. While I can understand that the old "knackers yards" in Europe, through which horses were killed and rendered (Ginger in "Black Beauty" was my first exposure to this example), provided such a service - I simply do not view horse slaughter for human consumption as intentionally providing that service and therefore justifiable. Kill buyers may choose to justify their activities that way. But that is not what the slaughter for human consumption of horses is about, and not why kill buyers are paid by the pound. If we believe that the slaughter for human consumption of our horses provides a disposal service - then what are we all fighting for?

Blueshadow5

7/25/08

Bev - never doubt that I admire tremendously and love what you do and have done for so many TBs over there! Amazing record of success. Thank you!

My poor horse is in trouble - we are guessing that he has probably experienced a reaction to some product in the gel cast. Not good. Now I'm having to treat an open wound that cannot be wrapped... before I can treat the need to support the joint :(

BevStrauss

7/25/08

Back at ya!

Oh boy, is the joint affected??? Hopefully NOT!

annielouky

7/25/08

The scenerio you are giving is a good one for that horse. However, it is not a realistic outcome for approximately 16,000 TB's annually.

Without exposure/consequences we cannot reduce the numbers in the pipeline.

And if you use the horse with a fractured knee that Anne got that day at NH as an example (and that happens way too often), actions starting at the trainer via the hauler to the auction house and then possibly on to slaughter by a KB, were animal cruelty and that is still a crime. The law states, that veterenary attention is required for an injured animal.

Annie

ellieroo

7/25/08

Bad guy= any of the above who do not take complete responsibility for the animal in their care. To see only self glory and dollar signs instead of a living breathing being.

Good guy = any of the above who realize they do not have the privilege to use and abuse for their own gain regardless of the consequences to the horse.

Blueshadow5

7/25/08

His old injuries (on which he was raced three weeks ago, and worked four times during June following a nine month layup) are blown suspensory, two minor sesamoid fractures, two inoperable sesamoid chips. His new injury (which caused him to be vanned off) is a (true) low bow in the same leg. He is low in the pastern due to the old injury in any case, and our vet was anxious to provide support to the entire area with the gel cast given the low bow. But now the horse has experienced what appears to be a serious skin/flesh reaction to the gel cast.  By the way, I talked to Chris Baker last night, and he says that there is Calomine in the gel casts, and that some horses do react badly to that (just in case you ever have to deal with this...)