POSTS TODAY

Discussion

Jay Hovdey in DRF - can someone post?   Anti Slaughter Issues

Started by Barbi1958; 624 views.
Msg 4 of 34 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 2

7/26/08

Thank you for posting this!

Here is the original article about Champion Lodge that was published in the DRF. Since this happened to a horse that made a large amount of money for Ron Charles, he knows first hand the dangers of slaughter. I hope he considers inspiring Magna to follow Suffolk's lead.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:0aD9_M0s7MMJ:www.coloradotbrescue.org/files/September_29_DRF_article.doc+%22Champion+Lodge%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us&client=firefox-a

It was discovered after this article was written that the horse had severely foundered (as well as suffering from acute renal failure). He was in a very precarious state when Charles offered to ship him thousands of miles away. We followed the vet's advice and continued with the current plan of (intense) treatment. It worked. Champion Lodge (knock on wood) is doing very well. He still visits the vet every few weeks and is re-evaluated. Sadly, he has suffered life-long consequences as a result of being in the slaughter pipeline.

He has been sponsored by the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation. His bail from the killer's was donated from the Exceller Fund. SO MANY horse lovers helped out in various ways. Some sent treats. Others connected us with the nation's top veterinarian's for a second opinion (which literally saved the horse's life), to helping support his ongoing expenses. Shortly after we found Champion Lodge, CO TB Rescue was incoporated.

For those who have met "Champ", they know that he is now a vibrant, energetic, delightful animal that embraces every day.

Champion Lodge at Santa Anita, April 2006, just before being donated to the riding program
Photobucket
Champion Lodge at the feedlot in September 2006, only ID's by his tatto (showing that he was imported!). He was extremely lame and barely able to walk.:
Photobucket
Photobucket
At the vet school, where he stayed for 2 weeks:
Photobucket
December 2006:
Photobucket Taken this summer:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Msg 5 of 34 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 4
AutumnSmoke

7/26/08

Margaret, what a fabulous, life-saving effort this was!! What a thrill it must be to know that you brought this horse out of suffering, and very near death . . .  whether via slaughter or due to his horrible condition. How ironic that his poor condition saved him from slaughter. So many others in a similar condition have been slaughtered.

The photos are disgusting and heartbreaking. He must have surely thought he'd gone to hell. In three months' time they put him in that condition? Were there any charges filed in regard to neglect or cruelty?

Good luck with your school work. Don't get in any airport taxi's ;-)

Msg 6 of 34 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 3
annielouky

7/26/08

OMG Rose.

So a kill buyer with a trainer's license.

Perhaps the AA report should find its way to the track as well as the Racing Authority?

Annie

In reply toRe: msg 4

7/26/08

Thank you Barb for this article,hopefully all racetracks will stand up for horse racings number 1 player! The horse!

Thank you Margaret,so heartbrakeing seeing Champion Lodge in that feedlot,the blank stare said it all!At his new home,you can see the spark of dignity back in his eyes!

Those in horse racing need to stand up and protect these horses that run their heart out for them,a shame some toss them like a used up object.

Rose

• Edited 7/26/2008 9:49 am ET by rose20074
Msg 8 of 34 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 7
CherylJone2

7/26/08

one cannot possibly fully appreciate Champ's present state unless you meet him.

He's amazing.  He's silly, has a great sens of humor, gives the best smooches, and is a total pocket horse.  

A couple of months ago, there was a gathering at Margaret's farm and several CSU students were there helping with chores and fence painting.   The babies, Will and Peg, kept every one amused by helping with the painting, and each ended up wearing a considerable amount of the pretty terracotta paint,  but Champ stole everyone's heart, which is a particular gift he has.   After finishing their chores, the students came into the barn for short courses in grooming and foot care, and Champ, supervising the goings-on, had everyone in hysterics demonstrating his skill in stealing cookies from my pocket.   After he had successfully taken all that I had, he "pretended" he was going to pilfer the contents of the pockets of those within reach.   That was the key element.   "within reach" but not actually reachable.   It was just so funny.   He knows he's funny, too. 

Later on, he had us laughing again as he and the other horses were playing  in the pasture.   He pilfered Slick's (Margaret's palomino) halter, and tried very hard to remove everyone else's, running around all silly, hitchkicking and looking as though he hadn't a care in the world.   I think it was Tori who found Slick's halter later, but it wasn't easy :)  

As you watch him play, loving life and everything about it, it's impossible to not think that things could have been very different.   Each horse I've seen in the lots, or read of here on the boards, and various newsgroups, I can't help but think that each one of them is a Champ to somebody.   and how they so deserve to be loved like he is.

7/26/08

Yes, Jaron Gold has been in racing a very long time,I remember him  at DRC not at Hazel Park where I started out with racing.

I remember some mornings while on the way to the track I would see him bring in his stock trailer,how conveinant for him. Me at the time,young and not in the know of HS.

A  AA report surely should be in order, the Campbells that own Pinnacle with investers ,I am sure ! Somewhere I had read a article about the Campbells and how they strongly support the welfare and finding good homes and new careers for their horses when done racing.

Here is a link showing the race,you will see Jaron Gold as trainer and owner. All the young ones he names he puts Gold in the name. The AA report on him surely shows what he thinks of horses!

Rose

Attachments
  • Edited 7/26/2008 11:53 am ET by rose20074

7/26/08

Thank you for sharing the info on Champ !!He sure sounds like he is quite a character! Horses all have their different personalities.

It is so heartbreaking knowing   there are more like Champ that end up in the slaughter pipeline. Hopefully 1 of the bills in DC will move forward and all our horses will be safe from the brutal slaughter pipeline.

Rose

• Edited 7/26/2008 12:01 pm ET by rose20074
Msg 11 of 34 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 7

7/26/08

I thought the same thing! In the photo from 2006, he looks depressed. What a change a bit of love can cause. Well, a lot of love. He is gorgeous!!

Joyce

7/26/08

J Gold has 2 in today at Pinnacle.

Maybe he had so much heat from the  AA's report on him he got out of the S pipeline?

I doubt it!!

Years ago when he had his trainers lisense he probably did well with his dark side of the horse business,looks like he will be at it again.

Rose

• Edited 7/26/2008 5:00 pm ET by rose20074
Msg 13 of 34 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 2
Barbi1958

7/26/08

Thanks for posting this, my horse had surgery yesterday and I was reading the DRF while waiting, no time to post it. Our Florida group is working with all the tracks in Florida, this article was presented to the President of Calder yesterday, they want to get on board.