POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Top Bunk List-Lights on Brdwy Needs You   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by MaryAinMI; 2049 views.
MaryAinMI

8/7/08

Updates to this post are in Green!

Early this past June, an Oklahoma-based racing quarter horse trainer was approached by a kill buyer who said he had something to show him.  The man pulled some sun-bleached papers off the truck dashboard.  The trainer unfolded the pages – a set of Jockey Club papers – and couldn't believe his eyes. 

So began this still ongoing story of the return of Lights on Broadway, an 11 year old gelding, winner of more than $572,000 in 83 starts, from the slaughter pipeline back home to Texas.

The trainer, stunned to see the familiar name and LOB's long history of success, immediately purchased him and set the horse up that day in a deeply bedded stall at his own 30-horse racing stable.  According to the trainer, Lights on Broadway, who he calls "one of the kindest and gentlest horses I have ever seen," spent a large portion of the next three days stretching out in the comfort of that stall.  The trainer began a feeding regimen to bring LOB's weight back up and immediately had his vet and farrier out to deal with a hoof abscess that I understand is now completely healed.

Lights on Broadway ran a couple of small races at Anthony Downs in Kansas, then one at Blue Ribbon Downs in Oklahoma for his new owner.  The horse popped up on Alex's DRF horse watch when his first race at Anthony Downs was scheduled.  The DRF article about the retirement of Ask The Lord, which mentioned Alex's effort to retire Witt Ante and Lights on Broadway, caught the eye of a former editor of the Texas Thoroughbred Association ("TTA").  Things began to snowball from there with LOPE and TTA offering wonderful assistance and guidance. 

From our very first contact with him, Lights on Broadway's owner has been co-operative, kind and open to discussions about the retirement of the horse.  He was gratified to be given an opportunity to save the horse in June and is very happy to know LOB will be going back to Texas to live.

HERE'S WHERE WE COME IN!  (Also many, many others, I hope, from other racing forums and hopefully many of Lights on Broadway's former connections):

Lights on Broadway's owner has agreed to sell LOB for $3,000.  Details regarding transport from Oklahoma to Texas and whether we will be able to make donations towards his price and transport costs through a charitable entity are all still being worked on.  All the transport/contribution information will be posted as soon as it's available.

In the meantimeplease consider pledging a contribution (or good wishes and a prayer!) for the purchase and transport of Lights on Broadway.  Update:  We are now taking actual contributions for purchase and transport!  Please see Post #101 here for where to donate by Pay Pal or Snail Mail. 

But for an Oklahoma quarter horse trainer and a kill buyer who figured this horse belonged somewhere other than on his truck, Lights on Broadway would be lost to us. 

Please help Lights finish his incredible journey back home to a thankful Texas!

Thanks a million, FOBs!!

MaryAinMI

• Edited 8/15/2008 5:41 pm ET by MaryAinMI
In reply toRe: msg 1
MaryAinMI

8/7/08

Also want to add - if anyone has any suggestions for transport companies, please post them in this thread!

Thank you!!

8/7/08

Mary,

Great great news! I will pledge $25 towards his costs. I am sorry it cant be more.

Let me know when it is needed and where to send.

Bought a tear to my eye, as I think of the special 12 yr old Veteran TB out here in CA, who also deserves a healthy retirement..you know who..:)

Thanks for playing such a HUGE part in giving these veterans of the track a soft landing.

Deb..:)

jcb88

8/7/08

Hi Mary,

I will happily Pledge $50.00 to assist in the purchase of Lights on Broadway.

Fondly,

Jeanne

8/7/08

Yippee! Will cheerlead and bump all I can but no available funds at this time - that could change, though, and will help as and when I can.

8/7/08

I have posted at Comments.

And I hate to say it - but in the present climate where the KB business still is legal - we owe a debt of gratitude to the KB who told the QH Trainer about this horse. If not for that KB the horse would have been lost . . . .

Msg 7 of 242 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 3
MaryAinMI

8/7/08

Thanks so much for your pledge, Deb!  You are always there for the horses.  Thinking the best of thoughts (and still working) for your California TB.
In reply toRe: msg 4
MaryAinMI

8/7/08

Thanks so much for your great support, Jeanne!
Msg 9 of 242 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 6
MaryAinMI

8/7/08

Thanks so much, CJ - cheerleading and bumps are wonderful and needed!  And you're absolutely right about the KB.  I've edited LOB's story in the first post to include that.

8/7/08

Thanks Mary - I'm very big on seeing the best in everyone/thing and giving credit where credit is due. I really appreciate your response to my comment, which I almost kept to myself, but the messenger in me prevailed . . .