POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Top Bunk List-Lights on Brdwy Needs You   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by MaryAinMI; 8394 views.
Msg 101 of 242 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 99
MaryAinMI

8/13/08

Never-E-Nuff Acres will not be able to accept donations for the purchase of Lights on Broadway in exchange for a charitable donation receipt.  Their Articles of Incorporation and By-Laws preclude accepting private monies (ours) for a horse purchase that will benefit the interests of a private individual or group (us, LOB's current owner, and LOB's breeder).

I'm not at all surprised by this as it is usually the bind virtually all charities are in when they are asked to help out in a situation like this.

Bottom line - None of the donations for the purchase of Lights on Broadway will be considered charitable donations.

Accordingly, I am hoping the following will be OK with everyone:

This past Spring, a group of 5 of us did a fundraiser to purchase the racehorse Top Bunk.  That thread is here.  A nice "thank you video" all about that fundraiser was done by moderator Wendy (who was one of the 5, as was I), and it is here.  We sent a Thank You card along with a membership card to the Top Bunk Fan Club :) to everyone who participated - it was a huge effort, just like this one will be. 

As with Top Bunk, I'd like to go ahead and offer my own PayPal account for people to use to make PayPal donations for the purchase of Lights on Broadway. 

My e-mail address is maoverman2002@yahoo.com.  You can make your PayPal donation for LOB on the PayPal website using that e-mail as the recipient. 

You do not need a Pay Pal account to make a donation through PayPal. 

I will cover all PayPal fees so please know that your entire donation will go to helping Lights on Broadway.  

Donations can also be made by Snail Mail.  Checks by Snail Mail can be made payable to "Mary Overman (for LOB)" and mailed to me at the following address:  Mary Overman, 9683 Shawnee Branch Road, Plainwell, MI 49080.

I plan to open a separate bank account here in Kalamazoo tomorrow (at Comerica Bank or at Fifth Third Bank) into which donation checks will be deposited.  Once that account is set up, I can provide a mailing address to send your donation directly to the bank.  Updated to advise that per my discussion today (8/15) with Comerica Bank, the Bank will NOT be able to accept deposits by mail for this type of an account (called an "assistance" or "memorial" account).

I will be keeping a detailed speadsheet itemizing all donations as well as posting a running total on a regular basis.

Updated to include this information:  If we do not raise enough money to purchase Lights on Broadway, or if the owner sells him out from under us, or races him and he is claimed away, I will do whatever you wish with your donation - refund it to you, forward it on to a charity of your choice, hold it until we find LOB again and negotiate with his new owner, just whatever you want.  Again, I will be covering all PayPal fees so no matter how you made your donation, you would be getting your donation amount back in full.

Will this work for everyone?
  • Edited 8/15/2008 5:59 pm ET by MaryAinMI
PattyTx1

8/13/08

This sounds good to me, Mary.  Thank you for doing all of this for us and especially for LOB.  I will mail a check to you tomorrow for $40 instead of the $25 I pledged, so the new total need is $2245.

Patty

MaryAinMI

8/13/08

Oh, Patty!!  That is wonderful!!  Thanks so much!!

We've raised $755!!  Good job, FOBs!!  Only $2,245 to go!! 

gail0625

8/13/08

Mary,  Did you contact Michael at Old Friends to see if they could assist with sending the money to them and having them do the actual purchase.

Gail

swedishkat
Staff

8/13/08

Sounds like a good plan, Mary! Thanks for doing this (once again)!!

:) Kat ...(card carrying member of the Top Bunk Fan Club)

MaryAinMI

8/13/08

No - I've tried LOPE, After the Finish Line and Never-E-Nuff Acres.  And for earlier efforts, I've tried CANTER.  I think Gail V. tried with AWI, too.

But I'm certainly willing to try!  I'll contact Old Friends and TRF. 

If I receive any donations and either Old Friends or TRF (or any other charity) can help us, I'll turn over those donations to the charity in the name of the person who donated the money.

If anyone wants to try (or wants me to try) any other 501(c)(3)s, let me know, and I will. 

MaryAinMI

8/13/08

I still have my card, too, Kat.  :)  

• Edited 8/14/2008 6:23 am ET by MaryAinMI
In reply toRe: msg 107

8/14/08

bump!
Msg 109 of 242 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 84
MaryAinMI

8/14/08

Good Morning, Everyone!

I want to point out something and am going to edit my Post #101 to add it as well.

If we do not raise enough money to purchase Lights on Broadway, or if the owner sells him out from under us, or races him and he is claimed away, I will do whatever you wish with your donation - refund it to you, forward it on to a charity of your choice, hold it until we find LOB again and negotiate with his new owner, just whatever you want.  Again, I will be covering all PayPal fees so no matter how you made your donation, you would be getting your donation amount back in full.

Also, as per my Post #106, I will be contacting some more charities to see if donations can be run through them to allow donors to receive a charitable deduction.  I'm not too hopeful in that regard, but if successful, I will turn your donation over to the charity and the charity will receive it in your name.  I'll keep you all advised on whether or not I find a charity.

Thanks!

OK!!  Let's see what we, the people on other racing forums who have been put on notice of this effort, and all the good folks of Texas can do - together - to bring Lights on Broadway back home where he belongs!!

$2,245 is still needed.  If we give ourselves 14 days to raise this (hope we don't need that long), that means we should try to raise about $160 a day.

So ... that's TODAY's GOAL - Only $160!! 

Remember, no amount is too small.  Ten people with $5 is the same as one with $50!!  And 16 people with $10 meets the whole goal for today!!

Thanks, everyone.  Thanks from Lights on Broadway!!

lightsonbroadway001-1 (2)
(Photo courtesy of TTA)

• Edited 8/14/2008 10:35 am ET by MaryAinMI
Bobcinpa

8/14/08

Mary... Sent $50 via PayPal for LOB Retirement Fund. In memory of JOHN HENRY.

John Henry is particularly fascinated that this gelding is named Lights on Broadway. It is not widely known, but John aspired to be a professional hoofer after he retired from racing. He studied under Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly. He was set to make his debut on Broadway, but on opening night the theater management rejected his request to have a supply of chocolate donuts in his dressing room. John was so incensed that they would treat an icon with such disrespect he left NY and never returned.