MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Spirit, the STB from Camelot   Horse Rescue Updates

Started 8/15/08 by KathyElm; 15 views.
MMM2009

7/2/09

your "kids" are SOOOO beautiful - dropped in here from Sherman's barn to take a look at wiggy - you can really see the influence of the standardbred on the walking horse....that's for sure.....

was like looking at my Mr. Midnight :)  as well.  Hugs to your "babies"

KathyElm

7/2/09

Hiya!

Thank youuu!!! I wuvs dem!

I have more pics from the weekend to get developed yet...

When I saw Sherman, I sort of seen my own WiggyBooger, I think Wiggy might be just a little more stockier. In fact, there is talk about putting him on a <gasp> diet...lol.

Thanks for coming by..lol!!!!!

Kathy

MMM2009

7/2/09

OH NO - not the dreaded "D" word!!!!  Know exactly what you mean about the "stocky" look - here's MM in his "Last of the Mohicans" phase - prior to his getting into "shape" for his big debut:

slowingdown.jpg picture by MrmidnightsMom

He cleans up nicely :)  Plus a few pounds lighter!  LOL!  But he hurt his knee slightly after his big debut and has become a pasture stud muffin for the summer :)  Pulling him in during the day to get him off the grass - he dropped 25-30 pounds by doing that - he's cleared for walking at the moment - so we walk around in the evenings :)

Beauty_of_Midnight_by_Phantom303.jpg picture by MrmidnightsMom

KathyElm

7/2/09

Ohhh!!! He is gorgeous!!!!!

I have a soft spot in my heart for the "fatties" ...lol!!! He looks so good....to me, when they are on the plump side, it shows they are happy and healthy.

Wiggy's old driver saw how good he looks and he wanted to know if I wanted to put him back into racing. He is 10 and can race until he is 14. Wiggy would love it, but mommy won't...lol. He is retired. Until that is I get my own place and he will have another job when I teach him to ride(that is going to be good...lol!) The place I am looking at has a track and I might hitch him up and take him on a few mikle jog once in a while to keep him from getting flabby...but diet? Hmmm....he just simply LOVES his food and his hay. I can't  do it  to him!!! LOL

It's only been about a year and a half since he raced, and harness horses can go forever (my 17 year old Midas taught my husband how to drive and train and he took him on qualifying drives....Midas thought he was "all that and a bag of chips"...LOL) but I keep telling Rusty the answer is no.....no more racing for the Booger.

I kind of think that Wiggy would look kind of sharp all tacked up in western gear....

MMM2009

7/2/09

I keep telling MM that he needs to eat to live, not live to eat :)  Yes - Wiggy would great in a cowboy suit!!!!

I've thought about teaching MM to drive - but he would really like to drive - as in be IN the buggy!  LOL!  He routinely tries to get into the golf cart - so I probably should just leave well enough alone.

He is 9 years old - had been left to become a pasture ornament for most of the 9 years - until I came along - I was told he was TOO old to learn anything - HAH!!!!  He went to his first ever show this past spring - the Three Phase Event for gaited horses - dressage - stadium obstacles and a cross country "trail ride" that became the Charge of the Light Brigade - he took a first in his division :)  Revenge is sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYOoG81vANY

KathyElm

7/2/09

Ohhhh wow!!! I absolutely loved the pics!!!!! My favorite is at the end...him with his ribbon and taking his well deserved happy boy roll!!!! Yes! I love it when we "prove them wrong"!!!!

He might actually like driving....driving keeps them toned and actually helps them with any arthritic issues they might have. They learn to use a new set of muscle groups.

Maybe there is a STB facility nearby and you can pick up a used harness and jog cart....

Wiggy and Spirit both are going to get some jog miles in them once I get this place! Spirit is a pampered Princess and might be horrified...lol...but I think Wiggy would enjoy doing something again. Not racing, just a jog maybe twice a week to get the edge off of him....

Even PaddyFattyPants (my Belgian mare...she is also under "Horses supported and the thread is BrightFuture/Frog Pond Belgians) is either going to get ridden around the track or dragged...lol. He only exercise is walking from one hay pikle to the other. Maybe not so much around the track because something her size will tear up the track something awful...lol....but she will be doing something!

MMM2009

7/2/09

what size cart would you have to get for Paddy Phatty Pants!  LOL!

I'll have to look into a cart :)

KathyElm

7/2/09

LOL!!!!!   XXXXXX Large...LOL.

Wiggy even needed a special order race bike...he is wide and has a very long stride and would hit his hocks on the cross bar under the driver's seat...so Wiggy's was extra wide and extra long...but would never fit PaddyFattyPants.....She would probably need a car...LOL.

MMM2009

7/2/09

LOL!!!!!  Or a hay wagon :)
KathyElm

7/2/09

She would never pull a hay wagon!!!! That would be one of her "no mommy" decisions...and she will simply tell me "no mommy..I'm gonna push it and eat the hay as we go along".

She is 8 years old and hasn't been handled much. She had a few foals and that was it. I bought her a new halter because the one she came with was digging into her nose. I reomved the old one...and she walked away. I was like "Yo! Where are you going? Come back here! You have a brand new one to put on"....she simply kept walking, looked over her shoulder at me and the answer was so obvious "no mommy". It took me a good half hour just to put the halter on her....LOL!