POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

MH: NE horses in need   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by BQualset; 150 views.
BQualset

8/26/08

Okay guys,
I am going to share some bad news.  Yesterday I was talking to my landlord and he laid down the ultimatum.  I have tried to talk him out of it and he is officially done listening.

He has decided that Rose goes to the next auction!!!!!  He said that he doesn't care if she ends up at slaughter..."what can he do" were his exact words!
I don't know when the next auction will be or where, but I need help for this girl.  She is too good to go to slaughter.  She is the first one to trot up in the morning and she nickers at me each time I am outside.  Her only problem is that she is still nervous about being touched.  We were working through it really good until I got put on no work at the beginning of the pregnancy and she was getting consistent work on her haltering etc.  Before I was put on no work, she was haltering, leading, and brushing.  She is back to being a bit nervous when you touch her, but I have been spending time with her each day again and working on it.  She will let you rub her anywhere, you just have to move kind of slow.
I think her main problem with touching is that my landlord can be a bit rough with the young horses during haltering.  If he has to tackle the horse down to get the halter on or run it in a chute, he will do it.  Her momma was also apparently a bit on the shy side as well. 

The other two may be safe a little longer, but I know he also wants Aimee gone really bad.  He hates that horse because during haltering when she was young, she did kick him a bit...probably more in fear than anything (seeing how he handles the young ones and knowing her personality, she is not the type to do otherwise).  She is a gentle sweet girl who is on the smaller side.  I think she would come around very quickly with the right training.  She follows me around like a puppy when I am in their pasture.  Aimee has a very interesting color to her.  She looks like a brindled dog!  Then she has random roan hairs spread through that. 

Bella is the oldest of the group and she is probably the one I would least worry about.  She halters nicely, you just have to put the lead rope around her neck first.  (At least she was fine for me doing it that way...I will try to head up in the next few days and see if we can do it again...it is very tough to work with them up in the pasture due to the other horses being around and too much room for them to move.)  She loves people and is the first one in the group to come up for scratches and love.  She prefers to keep touching you if at all possible and she usually stays within reach at all times. (Makes it very hard to get a picture!). 

Rose and Aimee are 5 or 6 years old.  And I believe that Bella is 7 or 8 (she might be 10, but I don't think so. I need to double check with the landlord.)  None of these girls are registered, but I promise that you won't be disappointed with them!  Aimee, Rose, and Bella have updated pictures on the website under horses we are helping....

he also said that if someone was interested, he would let them have them cheap.

He said that he was going to possibly breed the two horses with "color" to a local mule...I am betting he means Bella and Sheila (one he doesn't officially have up for sale...she is a buckskin roan.)

He also said that if someone wanted to make an offer on any of the others, he would consider it.

So...here is a list of the others as well.

Pokey: 4 or 5 year old stallion.  This boy was given to him for work he did because the people couldn't afford to pay their full bill.  They knew he had horses, so they struck up a deal.  Pokey is a very sweet boy!!!  I have done just about everything I can think of to him and he doesn't care.  I didn't know if he picked up his feet, so this morning I tried and he did it just fine with no halter on!  He halters nicely and leads very well.  He accepted a winter blanket last winter during an ice storm and he had never seen one before!  He does get a little rowdy when the mares come up, but he will listen while on lead (landlord worked him over for getting out of hand while on lead around the mares!).  He is a bit underweight and I am not sure why.  I wormed him (I kept telling the landlord he needed it, but he just didn't get it done, so I lost patience and did it for him.) and he is picking back up nicely, but still needs a few pounds (probably around 50 or so).  He does need his feet trimmed horribly.

Denny:  1 /12 year old stallion.  Denny is out of the landlord's old stallion.  He is a buckskin roan and has a nice confirmation (not perfect, but a very well built boy!).  He is still a little shy.  When we moved in last year he had never been touched and he was almost 6 months old.  His momma is one of the mares I will list later.  He has come a long way, he just is still nervous about having his head touched.  He hasn't had any rough handling since we have been here because he doesn't trust my landlord to get that close.  He loves to be brushed and loved on, he just needs a little convincing to wear a halter.  I will keep working on it with him.  He could still be registered.  His momma is registered and so was his sire. 

Dusty:  1 1/2 year old stallion.  Dusty is a bay stallion who is a pocket pony.  He halters well, but can still be stubborn on lead.  He will do whatever it takes to get attention.  He isn't as nicely built as Denny is, but he would make someone a great gelding!  He is sired by Pokey and his dam is Bella.  I adore this little guy because he is just so dang friendly.  he will pick up his feet and do anything you ask, as long as you ask nicely. 

Sheila:  5 or 6 year old buckskin roan mare.  He had considered selling her in the beginning and then changed his mind.  Sheila is a big stout mare.  She is at least 15 hands tall, but just about as wide as she is tall! lol  She is pretty pushy sometimes, but she loves people.  She doesn't like her head messed with a whole lot, but she will halter, you just have to do it a certain way.  She had an abscess on her jaw that was caused by an injury so that cut down on our haltering practice.  It is fully healed now and she looks great.

Bay mare 1:  I haven't named this one yet. lol  I just call her momma.  She was originally my neighbor's horse, but he sold her to my landlord a long time ago.  She is a nicely built mare and the mother of Denny.  She is very shy and would prefer to be left alone.  The landlord said that she can be aggressive after foaling.  She is very protective of her babies and is the main reason that Denny wasn't handled as a foal.  She is registered.  She has a large dent in her side where she was kicked and her rib was broken.  It doesn't bother her at all.  I don't know if it would stop her from ever being ridden...plus you would have to gain her trust to do so.  He probably won't sell this mare very cheap as he really likes her as a broodmare.  I believe she is somewhere between 10 and 15 years old. 

Bay mare 2:  Now this girl has a name according to the landlord, but I can't remember what it is. lol  I call her old Broad because she can be a pain where the other horses are concerned.  She is the lead mare and makes sure everyone knows it.  She will run off all the other mares to get attention all to herself.  She is registered and used to be my landlord's daughter's therapy horse.  She hasn't been ridden in 6 or 7 years.  I may try her out after the baby is born and just see how she is under saddle.  This is a very stout mare.  She halters easily in pasture and leads very well.  I have a feeling he won't let her go cheap!  He may not sell her at all because I think his daughter might get upset with him (although she hasn't been out here to visit her since we moved in!).   I believe she is around 15 years old.

Just so everyone is aware, some of these horses have never been off the property (Rose, Aimee, Bella, Sheila, Denny, and Dusty).  My landlord also does not vaccinate his horses.  He gave me a hard time because I did this year...he only thinks you should vaccinate if you are taking them off the place, or if you are bringing them in...he told me anything I bring home must be vaccinated!  Also of his horses, only the stallion has been wormed this year.  I will probably worm the two younger stallions when I do mine as I know they need it.  I wish I could afford to do all of them!  He said that he usually worms them at least once a year, but I know he hasn't done it so far this year.  The mares have never had any farrier work either.  Their hooves aren't long as the ground here is pretty hard and rock in their pasture, so they don't have slipper feet. 

I have pictures of all of these guys, but I will only send them to people who are really interested.  (Because officially the landlord doesn't have them up for sale...but he will consider any offer.)
Email me at missys.hope @ gmail.com (remove spaces) if you are interested. 
These horses are all located in Nebraska. 

I can help arrange to get vaccinations, coggins, worming, etc done with my vet (he will do house calls and knows these horses and what handling them would be like).  I don't know if the landlord would do it if someone is going to buy the horses or if he will tell you that you have to pay for it (my guess is the latter.). 
In reply toRe: msg 1
BQualset

8/26/08

Photos of Rose:

rosefront.jpg rose front image by MissysHope     rosebutt1.jpg rose rump image by MissysHope     roseface1.jpg rose head image by MissysHope     roseleftside1.jpg Rose left side image by MissysHope

In reply toRe: msg 2
BQualset

8/26/08

Photos of Aimee:

Aimeecurious.jpg image by MissysHope    Aimeeface.jpg image by MissysHope    Aimeeback2.jpg image by MissysHope     Aimeerightside.jpg image by MissysHope     Aimeecolorupclose.jpg image by MissysHope     Aimeecheckingoutthecamera.jpg image by MissysHope

In reply toRe: msg 3
BQualset

8/26/08

Photos of Bella:

Bellarightside.jpg image by MissysHope     bellacurious.jpg image by MissysHope     bellacheckingoutmybelly.jpg image by MissysHope

Oops...downloaded the older pics to photobucket of Bella...these were the only new ones.  That last picture, she was nuzzling my belly.  She has done that a lot since I got pregnant! lol 

I took almost 500 pictures two weeks ago of the horses!  So if you want to see more, I have more. lol

Brandi

8/26/08

What breed(s) are these?  This sooty buckskin brindle might be interesting because of her color.  You could try posting her on color forums.  Good luck with the rest.
Msg 6 of 26 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 5
BQualset

8/26/08

They are QH.  Some of them would have been registerable, but my landlord never had it done.  They would probably be to expensive to register now.

Brandi

PS:  I didn't think about color forums.  Do you know of any good ones to list them at?

8/26/08

Yes I believe the fees get quite high as they get older. 

Try sending an email to this site, they may know of someone who just wants a brindle for a riding horse instead of breeding. 

http://members.aol.com/brindlehos/

I'm sure there are more but all I can think of are equinecolor.com  and allbreedpedigree.com where you might be able to post them.

Msg 8 of 26 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 7
lansing27

8/26/08

In reply toRe: msg 1
BQualset

8/26/08

HI everyone,

I have had several people ask me if any of the mares are pregnant.  They are not.  The stallions have been separated since the two younger stallions were weaned from their mothers last fall. 

My landlord isn't great about some things, but he is pretty careful about breeding and stuff.  He knows the market is bad and that is why he didn't breed the mares after the colts were born and then didn't breed them this spring either.  (In fact I don't think he bred for a year before he bred for the two younger stallions.  Hope that made sense. lol)  The market for Mules here on the other hand is actually pretty good (despite the auction where one or two went to slaughter).  And that is why he is considering breeding two of the mares for mules.

The two mares and the stallion that are registered are registered through AQHA.  Those are the ones he said he would consider offers on. 

Brandi

Msg 10 of 26 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 7
BQualset

8/26/08

Thanks so much.  I will give it a try. 

I do have someone in TX that can take the girls, if nothing closer comes up soon.  I would just have to help her find a way to get them there. 

Brandi