MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Auction report- NC   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by DoubleGStabl; 99 views.
DoubleGStabl

11/3/08

I went to our local auction again this month. One one hand it was good, it was a small sale. On the other hand most of the horses there was dump jobs.
Here are the "highlights"

There were 3 weanling Belgian fillies $50 each
2 older ponies, 1 with ALL the signs of Cushings $110 and $100
Cyldes/QH mare. very big very quite rode in $225
little black pony super nice lope $300
3 huge QH mares less then $300 each
Several draft crosses all with bad feet and no muscle about $100 each
an HYPP N/H mare SKINNY (?!?) $70
another Impressive breed mare same guy not tested for HYPP $250
Ridding horse sore all around $60

WORST of the night!

18yr old "dead broke" TB. Super sweet horse. Tolerated 3 kids riding him as well as a multitude of other crazy stunts to show off how "bombproof" he was. All of these antics were just diversions! He was a great horse, as long as you didn't look at his feet! He had all the signs of being foundered~~bad! Every time they let him stop he would rock back off his front feet. He had new shoes and all the "ridges" were sanded off his feet. Didn't want to pick up either front foot. and of course what I call the classic founder flair. In long term cases the hoof gets this weird flair out starting about midway up the hoof. Plus this guy had a quarter crack that made Big Browns look like a chipped nail. His went all the way into the hair line!
Sold to some poor sucker for $400! I promise this horse will be lame in less than 2 days and they won't have a clue. Oh how I pray for this Saint!

BQualset

11/3/08

May I share this with others and if it is okay with you...post on the auction report section of my website?

That poor TB!!! 

Brandi

11/4/08

I went to the Vale sale October 10...horses were going for $40-$50 dollars...I think the highest horse sold for $325..most of the horses were not in good shape but I only saw 2 that I would consider very thin..I noticed that many of the horses had upper respiratory infections..there were 5 babies that went through..unfortunately one looked no more than 4 months old..about 6 were registered..what really disturbed me was that every mare that came through the ring was pregnant..backyard breeding...it's a big problem...all in all only about 20 horses went through..They also had a sale October 24 billed as a "registered" sale but I did not go to that..I was busy getting ready for our rescue from AC4H..one thing I have wondered a lot lately is and maybe you can answer this..do we have any known kill buyers that frequent NC sale?..if so, do you know any names?..just wondering so I can see if they show up at Vale..thanks!

Kelly

Msg 4 of 15 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 3

11/4/08

There are no frequent KBs that come to Vale. The son of the auctioneer transports up to New Holland at times but I have seen him stop bidding when a family is bidding on a horse. Whether he transports for slaughter or not has not been proven but I have asked questions and it seems more likely not. He is mostly a horse trader and so are the others. However, the horses did look in the best condition I have seen in a long time at the last sale but then again it was a "registered sale". The top bid was $500.

ETA: However, when the horses are traded around so much, there is no telling where they may end up.

• Edited 11/4/2008 10:45 am ET by TBLover5
Msg 5 of 15 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 4

11/4/08

thanks for the info..do you go regularly to Vale?
Msg 6 of 15 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 5

11/4/08

I used to go every sale but the one before the last one really got to me when I saw horribly emaciated Drafts with the look of "save me" in their eyes and I couldn't take them all home.

Husband won't let me go much anymore because he doesn't want anymore mouths to feed and we don't have a good place for QT.

Msg 7 of 15 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 6

11/4/08

I completely understand..fortunately we have a good QT area but only 3.5 acres so we are limited by acreage..however...I keep looking for more land..I would love to start a rescue..

Kelly

DoubleGStabl

11/4/08

Please feel free to share, it's a sad state of things out there.
Msg 9 of 15 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 3
DoubleGStabl

11/4/08

you can spot a few traders at the MT Airy sale. They go straight up to New Holland with tons of horses. They may not be KB's, but they are feeding the supply to them!

I tell everyone Mt Airy is 1/2 way to New Holland, which is 1/2 way to no where good!

5/20/09

Does anyone know about any othe possible sales in NC which kill buyers attend?