Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

SSS KS 45 George and Carmella ( Boo)    Horse Rescue Updates

Started 12/21/08 by Guest; 8 views.

12/21/08

I wanted to post some updates over the next few days of George, Carmella ( aka Boo) and some of the other horses remaining at Shooting Star Stables from the KS 45  plus 2 rescue that was done in the summer of '07.

Many FOB's helped tremendously with George's medical bills at K-State after he was injured last spring at a foster and euthanasia was recommened by a vet due to what he diagnosed as a FX hock. He was taken to K-State for a 2nd opinion where he succesfully recovered after several weeks of intensive care for a septic hock (no fx) due to a puncture wound.

And then we had Boo, who had to have hernia surgery after she was born to Honey Brown, one of the Ks 45. Boo and Honey returned to Shooting Star from foster care and after a naming contest, she became "Carmella" .

As you can see on this snowy day last week, George, Carmella & Honey are doing fantastic. George is one of the most loving horses you'll ever get to know as he always wants to put his head on your shoulder and will follow you anywhere. He is content just to stand next to you while you are outside and of course any attempt to groom the others is interrupted when he believes it's his turn again.

Carmella is growing like weed and is soon ready for a home of her own. She is quite the curious girl, always wondering what she's missing out on. She LOVES George....and will often be found nudging him through the panel or lying down on one side while he is lying on the other. Her mama, Honey Brown is a bit nervous, especially protecting her grain at feeding time. Her biggest annoyance is Pistol Pete, the mini who seems to enjoy hanging out near her paddock just to watch her whirl around to show him who's boss.

These horses owe their lives to so many of you who donated toward not only their intitial save June of 2007, but also toward helping them when an emergency arose. As I watch them enjoy their lives. I am so thankful to you all for giving them this opportunity for life. They will only be carefully placed into approved homes who can assure their ongoing well being with an iron clad contract in place.

George with new vounteer, Ginny who's heart he has won over.

Georgeharoldblondieandallhorses1-12.jpg picture by buckeyCareen

Georgeharoldblondieandallhorses1-29.jpg picture by buckeyCareen

George comes racing after he realizes he may miss out on something...........

Georgeharoldblondieandallhorses1-24.jpg picture by buckeyCareen

Carmella and mama Honey Brown smile for the camera. She will soon catch up to Honey......

Georgeharoldblondieandallhorses1-30.jpg picture by buckeyCareen

Carmella gets some good advice from Ginny.....

Georgeharoldblondieandallhorses1-16.jpg picture by buckeyCareen

Careen Cain

Shooting Star Stables and Equine Rescue, Inc.

Ks

Msg 2 of 21 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1
kckellsbells

12/21/08

Too cute.  Thanks for the updates.

12/21/08

Thanks Kelli.

Yep. They are all precious. Hopefully one day you will meet them~~~~~

Careen

Msg 4 of 21 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 3
kckellsbells

12/21/08

I hope so!  I was talking to my dad last night, the master mapper, and he told me how to get to your place. Or at least your town! :)
Msg 5 of 21 to GuestGuest 
dpcatlover

12/21/08

Thanks for the updates Careen.  George is all fuzzy!  As you know, he is a favorite of mine.  I wish I lived closer so I could visit him and all of the other wonderful horses at SSS.  Carmella is getting so big too.  Ginny looks like she has a way with the horses.  That picture of her and Carmella is too cute!  When things get sad, it always lifts my spirits to see the success stories and how well they are doing.

Thanks again.  Hope you and the horses can keep warm.  Its terribly cold here in Michigan.   I'm tired of it already!

Dawn

Msg 6 of 21 to GuestGuest 
forestandcod

12/21/08

They look great...fuzzy and happy!
Msg 7 of 21 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 5
ValsPal

12/21/08

AW, I WISH I COULD TRANSPORT MYSELF TO LOVE ON THOSE BABIES, PARTICULARLY GEORGE, MR. LOVEBUG IT APPEARS.  WE CAN'T GET OUT OF WA, LONGEST SNOWSTORM I CAN REMEMBER IN THE 28 (CAN IT BE?) YEARS SINCE I MOVED HERE.  IT WOULD DEFINITELY BE A CASE OF "PLANES, TRAINS, AND AUTOMOBILES" BECAUSE LIKE OTHER PARTS OF THE COUNTRY, WE'RE FROZEN IN.  MY DAUGHTER CAN'T EVEN MAKE IT UP THE FREEWAY FOR CHRISTMAS!!! 

KEEP YOURSELF AND EVERYONE WARM,

PAM IN EVERETT, WA 

12/21/08

And like I suggested, you could first go to Kristin's and perhaps the 2 of you could come here. It'd be nice to meet other FOB's nearby. Hope we can work it out!

Careen

12/21/08

He is easy to have as a favorite!! I know Ginny used to be around horses as a younger person and she and I worked together at the hospital and she recently retired so is excited to once again be around horses. She is a hard worker too!!!

I don't know how you guys up north can manage the cold weather. It's been in the low teens here and single digits so that is about all I can take. The horses eat lots of hay, grain and beet pulp but do go through more hay I've noticed when it's so cold. They all have access to the barn or run in sheds but often prefer to stand out in the weather........Go figure.

That Carmella is a real cutie!

Careen

12/21/08

Thanks! They are fuzzy and somewhat dirty for sure. I know that in really cold weather it's best not to groom too much as it removes the oils and can cause their coat to not insulate as much.  They all seem pretty comfortable and lively! I do have some coats but generally don't put them on unless a horse is compromised or thin.

Careen