Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

SSS Happy FOB adoption story    Horse Rescue Updates

Started 6/3/09 by Guest; 9 views.

6/3/09

A few of you might remember that in Jan-Feb. '07 I was helping save horses heading to slaughter from the local auction barn. Two of those were beautiful Rose, that Maggie and Gary eventually adopted, and a very sweet sorrel I called Jazz. A generous FOB at the time paid for Jazz's ransom and she had a safe home at Shooting Star in Ks. Little did we know she was pg at the time and gave birth to a filly, named Whisper. 

This FOB remained involved and provided monthly support toward the care of Jazz and Whisper each month as she received updates, pics. special Christmas cards from the horses and participated in their lives. At my suggestion, she considered adopting and finally this spring her family was able to purchase a horse property in their state in preparation for the adoption of these 2 horses whose lives she saved. 

After many months of planning and anxious weeks of working out details, Jazz and Whisper, who is now just over 2 yrs, traveled to their new forever home where an excited new mom anxiously awaited.

I have to be honest, this was not easy for me to say goodbye after this long and  you can imagine how attached I was to both of these girls. The new mom and I  have been in frequent contact and they are doing great with settling in, eating and enjoying the lush pastures and trees where they are living.  Well basically, I have been a bit of a basket case initially worrying about them in the trailer for their long ride up north, and wondering how they're eating, how Whisper is adjusting since she gets very nervous with new surroundings, and wondering what Jazz thinks of the move. She is a wonderful horse who is so gentle and calm.

They both love being groomed, pampered and are used to alot of loving. I had faith that this FOB would provide exactly that after she not only provided the initial funds to save Jazz, but also was so committed to sponsor them for 26 months and was always concerned about their welfare. And of course if anything changes in her situation, they will return to Shooting Star.

So, I believe this to be a true "happily ever after story" for Jazz and her beautiful filly, Whisper. From the initial save to the final adoption, this FOB was dedicated to these horses and was able to give them what they most deserved. A home of their own~~~

pics to follow.

Careen Cain

In reply toRe: msg 1

6/3/09

Jazz and baby Whisper at 2 weeks.

Carolsvisitandfoals043.jpg image by buckeyCareen
Carolsvisitandfoals046.jpg image by buckeyCareenCareen and Whisper share a moment
SSSjazzwhisper5-185-19-09toJoans012.jpg picture by buckeyCareenCareen with Whisper and Jazz as 
they await their tranpsort. 
SSSjazzwhisper5-185-19-09toJoans017.jpg picture by buckeyCareenMy beautiful Jazz~~`
SSSjazzwhisper5-185-19-09toJoans024.jpg picture by buckeyCareenAnd mischievious Whisper. Goodbye my girls. I love you so much !!!

Msg 3 of 13 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 2
FjordFan

6/3/09

It sounds like an excellent ending to a search for a forever home for Jazz and Whisper. This is the part of rescue that I would find very hard...letting them go. Their new mom seems like a very committed person. I think they are in good hands. Good job, Careen

Linda

6/4/09

Oh I know that letting go is hard on the nerves and stomach..... I tend to get stomach aches when I am anxious and whew~~~ I never felt so relieved as when I heard they had arrived safely.  I too, feel her level of financial and emotional committment to these girls said alot about her degree of committment to them over the long haul.

Saying goodbye and watching them leave when they have known they can trust you and come to you for safety is very hard.

Careen

Msg 5 of 13 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 4
dtpq

6/4/09

If they get half as good a home as Rose got with Maggie & Gary they will have it made. They sound like very lucky horses.

Teri

Msg 6 of 13 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1
maggiefromOK

6/4/09

Yipee for Jazz and Whisper!  I would think it's like letting your children go out into the world on their own. A combination of saddness and happiness at the same time. Good luck to Jazz and Whisper and their new home.

In reply toRe: msg 5

6/4/09

Isn't that the truth!! Now we compare all adoptive families to them and it is  hard to compete. :) 

Careen

Msg 8 of 13 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 2
dpcatlover

6/4/09

What a wonderful story and ending for Whisper and Jazz.  I hope they enjoy their new home and adjust well.  They are both beautiful horses.  They are indeed lucky to have had their own special "angel" all this time. 

Dawn

6/4/09

Maggie,

I know you can appreciate how hard it is to let go when you've developed that kind of a bond. To think Jazz was headed to slaughter, a nervous and scared girl hesitant to seek attention~~~a  month later she gives birth to a precious foal and I'm there for it all. To see Whisper grow up into such a beautiful and smart girl with all the confidence in the world because all she has known is kindness and love. I sent her to a friend for some ground work training before she went to her new home so she would be doing really well. When she was moved to his barn, she had a rough week or so adjusting as had never left home. Eventually, she was right at home and adapted to the new situation.

Then for the trip I took her mom over there to await the transport and she was so ecstatic to see Jazz she wouldn't leave her alone. Jazz was an excellent mom but let onery Whisper get away with alot without getting after her. So it was good for Whisper to be with other horses and have to fit into the small herd.

From what I'm told she had a rough few days at her new home but has settled in. Jazz is being labeled "the perfect horse" by everyone around her. She absolutely soaks up the attention and will follow you like a puppy with impecable ground manners. She used to be a lesson horse for a year, had several years of riding and then was used as a brood mare. I talked with her earlier owner as she is registered, and she had traded her to a "friend of a friend" as she had to downsize. Within 2 weeks she and 2 others were sold at auction and she was headed to slaughter. I didn't know about the others at the time so don't know what their outcome was.

Yes, it is very much like seeing your children leave the nest but at least with children they have a voice and can hopefully take care of themselves. That's what scares me about sending the horses, they are 100 % relying on that human to take care of them and as we've sadly discovered their lives depend on that.  I think the few horror stories have really shaken my confidence and ability to trust. It kind of leaves a pit in my stomach to see them go. But I know in my heart that a great, individual family home is what is best for them where they can get more individual attention and perhaps take a good trail ride now and then.

Careen

• Edited 6/4/2009 12:06 pm ET by CareenCain

6/4/09

I was so thankful this person was interested in staying involved with them. We kind of decided that as long as she was "angeling  them" I would keep them here at Shooting Star. Then we began talking about the possibilty of her adopting them, which at first seemed like a long shot as she lived in the city. Eventually she convinced her hubby a move to the country was needed and after a year of searching they found the perfect place with 30 acres and a big barn.  I really was unsure if it would ever become a reality for them, but after almost 2 1/2 years she got to meet the horses whose lives she saved.

She no longer is on ABR and hasn't been for quite some time. I think it became too difficult for her to read about all of the sadness and horses in need.

I pray this is truly their happily ever after~~~ 

Careen