MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Problem with Trooper aka Toughy   Horse Rescue Updates

Started 7/14/09 by KCohen6; 7 views.
KCohen6

7/14/09

We have a problem that has popped up out of nowhere!  We have a call into the vet.  He has turned Mottled and looks like a depigmentation issue going on over this week. Any ideas?  Vitilgo??

On a good note he is healed from her hernia and gelding and doing great.  I hope this isn't something that will haunt us from his neglect. 

Trooper033.jpg picture by ksohmc

Trooper032.jpg picture by ksohmc

KCohen6

7/14/09

This is what I suspect...

Vitiligo is an autoimmune disorder characterized clinically by depigmentation of the skin—both epidermis and hairs—caused by destruction of melanocytes. Vitiliginous skin shows a T-lymphocyte inflammatory infiltrate, proliferation of Langerhans cells, epidermal vacuoles, and degenerative changes in the cutaneous nerve fibrils. Increased autoantibodies against melanin, tyrosinase, and various tissues are frequently present in vitiligo patients. Vitiligo is often associated with systemic abnormalities or nutritional deficiencies. A 2-year-old Quarter Horse filly developed facial vitiligo with depigmented areas that was strikingly similar to human vitiligo. Several innocuous small biopsies provided cutaneous specimens that were processed for light and electron microscopic studies. Many of the clinical and microscopic changes observed in human vitiligo were present in this equine patient. Marginal anemia was detected. Strengthening of the filly's nutritional and feeding conditions led to rapid and complete repigmentation. Equine practitioners as well as horse owners should be aware that vitiligo may not be simply a cosmetic problem; thus, a complete evaluation of horses affected by this condition should be performed.

KCohen6

7/14/09

The vet is coming now, I will keep you guys posted.
kckellsbells

7/14/09

I sure hope it's something superficial and nothing more.
Rox_M

7/14/09

Good luck with the vet!  Does Trooper seem to be in any pain from this?  He has a distressed look in his eye - or maybe he's just nervous of the camera aimed at him? 

I sure hope this is nothing serious.  Sending prayers your way. 

In reply toRe: msg 5
KCohen6

7/14/09

He was just stressed out from the camera.  He was unhandled so still gets spooky over things.  Plus he is a hot lil Arab!  He was just diagnosed from the vets.  He sadly has Vitilago.  Its for life, no treatment and now he will need specialized care so not to get a sunburned daily. 
kckellsbells

7/14/09

At least it isn't life threatening, thank God.

Give him a scratch for me.

7/15/09

The poster earlier with the info on Vitalgo was reporting perhaps with good nutrition and diet he may improve I thought...???

I also put sunscreen on a few of my horses noses/faces who are prone to sunburn. It helps alot.  I'm sorry for this but he has come so far and hey.....if he ever got stolen.....you'd be able to easily identify him. :).

Good luck..

Careen

MHJ1957

7/15/09

If it isn't one thing it is another.       we use desiden (diaper rash cream) on our horses that get sunburns, It is cheap and easy to find, even store brand types are perfectly good.

Will changing hiis diet help?       is it a holdover from the starvation situation?

KCohen6

7/15/09

The article says with good diet it may improve.  Our vets say there is no treament whatsoever.  Obviously his diet is great or he would not have gained 200 lbs and turned shiny and healthy. sigh

He is on Soaked beet pulp, Free Balance 12:12, Electrolytes, Equine Junior, Canola oils, flaz seed oil,soaked alfalfa cubes, Red Cell, probiotics and grazing freely and Perrenial Peanut (top) quality FL hay.  He is costing a fortune to feed and being back to health.  This is just so dishearetening.  ;(

He is Horse of the day today on http://www.equusite.com/cgi-bin/pictures/potdDisplay.cgi?picture_id=11801