The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Emergency Fusion surgery Please Help   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by Guest; 1707 views. (Closed)(Closed to new replies)

4/27/10

Please Crosspost.

Rhythim arrived at HMER on April 8th, 2010. He was donated by his trainer who told us he came up lame at Mountaineer. We brought him home and put him in the roundpen for let down. Rhythm has been a very good boy, but his lameness has continued to deteriorate to stall rest with 1/2 hour grazing with his buddy. Rhythm is on bute twice daily and cannot receive more.
Rhythm won over $300,000 and many Stake Races.
011.jpg picture by HMER08  020.jpg picture by HMER08
We had x-rays pulled and they show a significant Fracture chip of his Sesamoid, and end stage arthritis. Without surgery his prognosis of any soundness are very poor. As you can see on the x-rays Rhythm has a significant fracture chip and arthritis.
StudyImage23.jpg picture by HMER08StudyImage22.jpg picture by HMER08

We have a surgery estimate of $6,000 - $8,000  from New Bolton
We will need help with transport as I do not have a trailer. $450 each way (unless we can find someone to do it for less).
$1,000 aftercare (2 followup appts w/x-rays) Bandages, medications, ect...)

$7,900 Urgently Needed

Donations can also go to New Bolton as soon as the surgery is scheduled.

Snail Mail Below 

Hidden Meadows Equine Rescue, Inc
227 Edward Drive
Martinsburg, WV 25404
(304) 283-9449
www.HiddenMeadowsEquineRescue.org
  • Edited 4/27/2010 6:37 pm ET by HMER (BlueAngel419)

4/27/10

Bumping for Rhythm
In reply toRe: msg 2
kckellsbells

4/27/10

Broke bump

4/27/10

Those are the best bumps...:)
Msg 5 of 547 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 4
CherylJone2

4/27/10

Mary, just out of curiousity, and because they apparently did a great job for far less $$, have you asked for an estimate for the surgery from the clinic that did the surgery for Green Harbor?

I'm not understanding the comment about "end stage" arthritis.    Am not seeing anything in the film other than the chip and some arthritic changes that may be managed after the chip is removed with glucosamine/chondroitin, etc??  

Just as an aside, is your trailer fixable?     

• Edited 4/27/2010 7:28 pm by CherylJone2
KathyElm

4/27/10

It doesn't look like arthritis...they may be interpreting some joint surface that is touching..however, that looks more projectional...like the xray beam was not placed properly and that contorts the picture. And it doesn't look like a new fracture.  With proper  precautions,this may even go on to fuse itself, which takes longer but is less invasive.

Msg 7 of 547 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1

4/27/10

BUMPING for surgery for the ex racer Rhythym!! 

4/27/10

Valley referred us to New Bolton because they cannot do this type of surgery. The x-rays are of poor quality. Our usual vet's machine was broke so we had valley do them and they are not as good.

Dr. Richardson said that the cartilage is all gone and to do right by him he needs fused.

We had another gelding fused last year and he is perfectly sound and happy. You would never know he is fused. He bucks, runs, and rears up carrying on just like the younger ones.

No, my trailer is not fixable for horses. They said the steel frame is rusting bad so they recomended that we not trailer horses so it is going to the junk yard. I really wish I had a trailer. I am sick of paying for trailering of horses.

Msg 9 of 547 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 7

4/27/10

Thank you...:)

4/27/10

For anyone who has concerns are welcome to make donations directly to New Bolton for his surgery.