Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Discussion Board Transition Ideas   General: Horse-related

Started by Guest; 4789 views.

6/13/10

Good morning everyone. Please use this thread to post ideas about the ABR Discussion Board Transition . As Alex has indicated, he intends to close the Board down sometime next year. This gives us a great opportunity to discuss structure of a new" FOB Home" in the interim.

An initial conference call is scheduled for tonight at 8 p.m. EST. Details about the call are on the "conference call' thread. I hope you can join in.

Terri

Msg 2 of 603 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1

6/13/10

REPOST FROM  OTHER THREAD

48544.158 in reply to 48544.153 

I am just catching up and have now read all the posts.

I am in continued awe that Alex was able to keep this board going for so long and would hate to see all the good that it has done and the relationships made dissipate. Because Alex has so graciously given us such long advance notice, I have a proposal:

1. Let the news sink in and spend some time reflecting on the things we like/love about ABR and some things we'd like to see added or discarded.

2. Let us convene, for anyone who is interested, either a conference call or a session in chat to see who among us would like to offer assistance to transition to a new site over the next year. I would propose scheduling this in approximately two weeks time to let emotions settle down.  The type of assistance I see as needed breaks down into a few ( non-exclusive) categories:

a. Technical support ( volunteers to research new discussion venues, possible moderator volunteers, computer experts)

b. Monetary support -- anyone willing to either put up the money to continue or to serve as a  conduit for collections for donations to support a new site.

c. Public Relations--  how to best make a transition while retaining existing folks and perhaps attracting new "recruits."

d. Anything I've just missed because I haven't thought about this long enough!

I can tell you that right now, I will commit to contributing monetary support for a new site. I am also willing to volunteer time as a moderator . And certainly, if any legal research is needed, I can help with that as well.

If you are interested in participating in some sort of meeting two weeks from now, please either indicate here or shoot me an email. I'll compile a list and we'll see what we can do to get the ball rolling.

Finally, Alex, the mere words "THANK YOU"  are never enough!

Terri

edit:spelling

Msg 3 of 603 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 2

6/13/10

CONFERENCE CALL INFO FOR 8 p.m. EST tonight:

Conference Dial-in Number: (218) 339-2500
Participant Access Code: 719123#

According to the site , you just dial that number and punch in this access code followed by the #

Once on the call, participants can use these codes:

*3 -- to exit the call

*4 --- for instructions

*6 --mute/unmute

Msg 4 of 603 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 3
marygran

6/13/10

Bump...sent you a pm, Terri.

Mary in MD

Msg 5 of 603 to GuestGuest 
marygran

6/13/10

One idea that I had before our call is that it might be useful for Alex to provide some kind of "cook book" or SOP to help in the transition.

Mary in MD

Msg 6 of 603 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 2
wit3333

6/13/10

I would be willing to give monteary support. I will keep watching this thread. I can not participate in the call, as I will be working. We must continue.

Thanks for your effort.

Kath

6/14/10

All ideas welcome. There are none too trivial or silly. Consider this a space for "virtual brainstorming."

I think we had a great initial call last night. When I get a few minutes later today, I will post a short summary of the subjects discussed.

Thanks everyone!

Terri

Msg 9 of 603 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 8
MargieM17

6/14/10

Bumping this thread up.