POSTS TODAY

Discussion

Book: Laminitis Chapter   Barbaro and Family

Started by alexbrown4; 659 views.
alexbrown4
Staff

8/4/10

here is the current list, please keep them coming:

Secretariat, Sunday Silence, Kip Deville, Poetin (Euro dressage), Bayakoa (13), Singspeil (18), Sunline (OZ/NZ), Blushing K.D (colic after laminitis), Affirmed, Black Tie Affair, Lady Wentworth (Arabian), Nijinsky, Artsplace (18, standardbred), Dreamfinder (App stallion), Arcangues, Do You Have A Minute (HS Stallion), Easy Jet (AQHA Stallion), Rambling Willie (champion pacer), Machiavellian, Storm Boot, Cutlass Reality, Fappiano, Rubiano, Grand Canyon, Abercrombie (pacing sire, sire of Artsplace), Big Jag, Foolish Pleasure, Barathea, Political Intrigue (dam of Redatorre), Goulash (dam of Ashado), In The Wings, Saratoga County, Old Trieste, Gate Dancer, Toussaud (broodmare of year)

cheers, alex

Greg J. (Wookster8)

8/4/10

I read it last night, I will send you the link to the article when I get home.
LindaVA3

8/4/10

Strange circumstances is right!  I do hope he is still alive and getting well :)
LindaVA3

8/4/10

Maybe not as famous, but certainly just as special :)

I read about him on the brooklyn backstretch blog about the grand opening celebration of OFNY. 

Msg 50138.39 deleted
lizinuk

8/4/10

Coolmore's very successful sire, Fairy King, full brother to Sadlers Wells and sire of Oath, Falbrav and Helissio (amongst others), was lost to laminitis in 1999.
In reply toRe: msg 40
alexbrown4
Staff

8/4/10

updated list:

Secretariat (1989 at 18), Sunday Silence, Kip Deville, Poetin (Euro dressage), Bayakoa (13), Singspeil (18), Sunline (OZ/NZ), Blushing K.D (colic after laminitis), Affirmed, Black Tie Affair, Lady Wentworth (Arabian), Nijinsky, Artsplace (18, standardbred), Dreamfinder (App stallion), Arcangues, Do You Have A Minute (HS Stallion), Easy Jet (AQHA Stallion), Rambling Willie (champion pacer), Machiavellian, Storm Boot, Cutlass Reality, Fappiano, Rubiano, Grand Canyon, Abercrombie (pacing sire, sire of Artsplace), Big Jag, Foolish Pleasure, Barathea, Political Intrigue (dam of Redatorre), Goulash (dam of Ashado), In The Wings, Saratoga County, Old Trieste, Gate Dancer, Toussaud (broodmare of year), Maria's Mon, Hyperion, Flanders, Fairy King (Coolmore sire)

KYsally (kwsally)

8/4/10

Also - Overdose has recovered from Laminitis - perhaps you could contact his owner/trainer in Hungary and find out what treatment they used.

XXOO

LuvBarbaro

8/4/10

It is so disturbing to hear so many top athletes have succumbed to this plague, and some at young ages... And it seems as if there are evermore reasons to develop the condition... after a bout of colic, ingesting an abundance of rich grass or grain, foaling, concussive laminitis... just tragic.
Greg J. (Wookster8)

8/4/10

Here is the article I read, Even though, while looking at some more articles today, seems like a high number.

Brook Mayberry apparently possesses both.  Mayberry, who operates a veterinary practice at Equine Medical Associates Inc.. in Edmond, also has helped launch Innovative Equine Technologies, which offers a product designed to treat laminitis.

Laminitis kills about 1 million horses a year in the United States, Mayberry said. Most famously, it claimed Barbaro, the 2006 Kentucky Derby winner who shattered his leg during the running of the Preakness Stakes but eventually died months later after developing laminitis in two other legs.

Read more: http://newsok.com/horse-veterinarian-operates-edmond-clinic-and-startup-medical-device-company/article/3471609#ixzz0vgL4rMDw
  • Edited 8/4/2010 7:16 pm ET by Greg J. (Wookster8)