MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

CVHR-Fundraiser for Central VA Hay fund   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by CentralVARes; 97 views.
CentralVARes

9/15/10

We are currently in a severe drought in Central Virginia.  The farmers that I know here who make hay are telling me that they baled 25-50% less hay this year than usual.  We have not only had very little rain since May but we have also had the hottest summer on record.

Many horse owners whose pastures usually sustain their horses through the spring, summer and well into the fall are finding that they are already having to feed hay.  Of course, being farm country this is also affecting cattle farmers so there is less hay available and more need.

CVHR is stockpiling hay and while we should be ok through the winter for our current numbers, we will not be able to add to those numbers through the winter.  We will also not be able to help horse owners who need emergency hay or even reasonably priced hay this winter. 

Our goal is to raise $2500 to purchase additional hay.  We will be doing this through online silent auctions and a tupperware fundraiser.  

Online Silent Auctions will be posted on our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/CentralVAHorseRescue

Our tupperware fundraiser is currently available at:

Tupperware Fundraiser

LindaVA3

9/15/10

You're right, it's been horrible here in VA this summer.  I've been wondering about the hay situation, sounds like it's not good.  I'll be making a donation to help you out with your fundraiser later this week.
CentralVARes

9/15/10

Thanks, Linda.  It has been bad this year and I am worried about the horses in this community. It's been on my mind for awhile and I hope that the fund will have a two fold purpose.  We can provide hay in emergency situations and we can sell hay in the community to those who can pay reasonable prices for it. In this way, we will be able to continue to purchase it for the future. 

LindaVA3

9/15/10

I think it's a great idea!  And I wish I lived closer to you :o)
In reply toRe: msg 1
gal1231

9/15/10

BUMP!
In reply toRe: msg 5

9/15/10

the problems with hay and drought extend all the way up into my area along south mtn in PA even. i just drove down to GA and back and could see the brown area you'r emost likely in. i've only made 50% of the hay this year that i normally do..not sure i can get a 2nd cutting in the next 3 weeks. we're green now but need more rain and sun to grow what we can..but the crisis will be wider spread than just central va.
In reply toRe: msg 6
FedEx0228

9/15/10

As both horse owners & hay farmers in central Jersey, I can tell you firsthand that it's going to be a painful winter. Our yield was also down significantly & I had to take my horses off the pasture & start haying just over a week ago. I'm seeing fields that used to be green pastures that are now bare dirt because the horses weren't pulled off of them in time. The ground is like powder. We did some 2nd cut a few weeks ago & it looks nice, but the hay is so dry that the bales want to fall apart; it's difficult to pick up a flake of hay without the flake crumbling into a pile. The horses still love the hay, but for us to try to move it from our barn, well, we would end up losing more bales than it would be worth. A hay dealer friend was here yesterday & his partner was at the auction in Hackettstown NJ where 2nd cut was going for $6/bale. That might not sound like a lot to some of you, but that's a wholesale market where prices are normally two thirds of that or less. When the hay dealer has to pay $6/bale, they're going to have to sell it for $7-8. I keep a spreadsheet on my computer of the rainfall totals from our rain gauge. I picked a period from 6/22 (figured that is about the beginning of summer) thru 9/12 (the day I looked at it). This year we had gotten 4.96" of rain for that period - last year for the same time frame it was over 29". Painful, very painful..... Carla
Msg 8 of 12 to GuestGuest 
CentralVARes

9/15/10

Mark, I am sure that you are right but I can only help with one small portion of it.  :)  Even if I can bring in 20 -25 tons of hay, I am sure that it will not be enough even for the South Central VA area. 

Our problem is compounded by most of our local industry closing down in the last year or two.  Unlike some areas, most of our horse owners in the area have 1-5 horses and they trail ride or are strictly pleasure (vs showing, hunting, polo, eventing, etc.) 

I hope that the rescue can help people in our community as well as horses. 

CentralVARes

9/15/10

Yup, I know it's going to be tough all over!  We started feeding hay to supplement our pastures in July instead of October.   We are just sucking it up and adjusting our budget/numbers. 
  • Edited 9/15/2010 4:23 pm ET by CentralVARes
gal1231

9/15/10

Bumping for hay!!!