Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Frankel!!!!!   Retired TBs -Past and Present

Started by hornsix1; 66857 views.
Derby132

4/30/11

Maybe the BC?  Frankel & Goldikova - wouldn't that be something!

KYsally (kwsally)

4/30/11

Not in the same race - they need their own race to own!

XXOO

Otherlyn

5/1/11

I saw the race today. What a THRILL with every stride! He opened up, and never looked back.

Is it just me, or does he look like BARBARO in the photo?

Your FOB Fren, O

• Edited 5/1/2011 3:31 am ET by Otherlyn
hornsix1

5/1/11

OK- thanks- I thought that it must a European Derby they were talking about.
Yes- wd be cool to see Frankel and Goldy and Black Caviar as well all come here for the BC!
cigarello

5/1/11

He's a wonder horse and carries the blood of the great Northern Dancer and Sadlers Wells.
Derby132

5/1/11

Yes, was thinking of Sadler Wells watching Frankel race yesterday.
Derby132

5/1/11

An interesting read.  One bloggers opinion on the Epsom Derby for Frankel.

Frankel dishes the dirt

>>If Frankel is buried at the back of the pack at Epsom, he would resent it; he would pull hard and may ruin his chance. 

But, if he is allowed to race close to the pace and his speed just a little more rationed, he may settle sufficiently well.
lizinuk

5/2/11

Yes, interesting. I was watching the Channel 4 coverage and one of their experts did sound a note of caution after the race. I still have it recorded as I wasn't quite sure at the time what exactly he was getting at. I shall have to revisit it and listen carefully.

The Derby is a thorny problem every year as Epsom is a very difficult course to negotiate. There always seems to be a will he, won't he debate over whether the the apparently most exciting 3-year old is going to run.....New Approach and Sea The Stars for instance. They both won. The perceived wisdom is that if there are any stamina doubts a horse needs to be covered up, and you can't normally win by leading all the way, although Steve Cauthen did that so brilliantly in 1985 on Slip Anchor in 1985. At least by being at the front you are out of trouble (and there is usually plenty in running). New Approach pulled and pulled in the race, but despite stamina doubts had enough in reserve to burst through and win. I don't know what tactics they would employ on Frankel if he were to run.

And I don't think this is going to be entirely about Frankel anyway as there is World Domination to add to the equation. He has the same owner and trainer as Frankel and although he has only ever run once, looks a potential Derby winner. He is going for the Dante Stakes (a Derby trial) and I think we may know more of what they will do with Frankel after that race. Henry Cecil says he isn't going to run Frankel in the Dante and it now looks to be a 50/50 choice between giving the mile and half trip of the Derby in early June a go, or opting for the slightly shorter distance of a mile and a quarter in the St James's Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot. The latter would probably mean sticking to the mile, mile and a quarter trips for the season. No Arc de Triomphe.

The jury is still out on what is the best course of action.  

• Edited 5/2/2011 4:29 am ET by lizinuk
Derby132

5/3/11

Liz just posted this over on the Overdose thread:

Frankel to skip Derby for date in St James's Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot

By Marcus Townend Last updated at 9:34 PM on 1st May 2011

Frankel is heading for the St James's Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot after trainer Henry Cecil ruled his brilliant 2,000 Guineas winner out of a tilt at the Derby.

Cecil, explaining the decision to keep his colt racing over a mile, said: 'I think the Derby would not be doing the right thing. I'd want to give him a race before Epsom over a bit further but I can't do that. Frankel is very well but we will take it step by step.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/racing/article-1382529/Frankel-skip-Derby-date-St-Jamess-Palace-Stakes-Royal-Ascot.html#ixzz1LIVFS3Aa

TIMEFORM'S TOP ALL-TIME FLAT HORSES

145 Sea Bird II

144 Brigadier Gerard, Tudor Minstrel

142 Abernant, Frankel, Ribot, Windy City

141 Mill Reef

140 Dancing Brave, Dubai Millennium, Sea The Stars, Shergar, Vaguely Noble, Harbinger

Ironically, it was the brutal display of raw speed which demolished his 2,000 Guineas rivals that probably ended any thoughts of an Epsom bid.

The impact on racing's richter scale of Frankel's win can be gauged by the provisional reaction of Timeform, whose 142 rating catapulted him into the midst of great racehorses.

Only three horses have ever been rated superior - Brigadier Gerard, the 1971 2,000 Guineas winner who won 17 of his 18 races, Tudor Minstrel, whose eight-length 1947 2,000 Guineas win is still a record, and Sea Bird II, the 1965 Derby and Arc winner.