MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

Book sales status: end of June   Barbaro and Family

Started by alexbrown4; 859 views.
alexbrown4
Staff

6/27/11

OK, now I need to get more creative with the selling of the book. So far, about 2,100 sold, but sales have virtually screeched to a halt post Triple Crown (other than at book signings). If anyone has ideas, please let me know. Beans on toast is only good four days a week!

cheers, alex

MJ42903

6/27/11

It is disappointing that you have followers on Facebook who obviously ha e not made a purchase. Has everyone here reached out to all of their face book fronds advertising the book?
alexbrown4
Staff

6/27/11

i am not sure disappointed would be the right descriptor.  i did think sales would have been a little higher, and the feedback from those who have bought has been much more than I could have anticipated.  i am hoping that eventually sales will increase as more people with the community read the book.

the reality is, in the long run, the book needs to finance my other ABR endevours.  so sales are important!  cheers, alex

LindaJ56

6/27/11

Alex, do you know what it would take to get the book on the shelves in some brick and mortar stores like Barnes and Noble and Borders? Or some of the larger independent bookstores in major market areas in the U.S.?

Is there an agent or someone that you could hire or work with for that kind of distribution?

It seems like right now, the only people that are seeing the book are those that are attending races or specifically looking for it on Amazon. I think a lot of people that don't know about the book would pick it up and buy it, if they could see it at their local bookstore, either large or small.

But I don't know how that kind of distribution works - possibly through the publisher, but I don't know what your options are by being self-published.

In my own personal opinion, I think once someone picks the book up to browse through it, they would decide to buy it. It's got great visual appeal, and when you browse through the content page a person can clearly see it covers lots of interesting topics.

Linda J., Minneapolis

MHJ1957

6/27/11

We have a great book store in Lindsay, ontario. It is on the main street, and it is tourist season soon up here. Next time I'm in Lindsay, I'll take my book, and see if she would stock a couple, then I'll order them  from her, or give her your address.

I can take it to the tack store in Lindsay , too, and the Tack store in Sutton.

If you could send your info by email,  In case the store owners want direct contact, that would be helpful,  mine is: 

maureen @ cannington-horse-rescue.com        ( no spaces)

alexbrown4
Staff

6/27/11

cool!  btw, i'll be doing a book signing at Ajax on Tuesday, September 20.  seems quite close ?  cheers, alex
selala

6/27/11

Your book is not only a visual pleasure but also it is a fantastic read.  It sits on my coffee table and continues to draw praise from houseguests.  Thank you for allowing us a personal and beautiful look into Barbaro's life. 

LindaVA3

6/27/11

I wonder if some smaller, independent bookstores sell on something like consignment, or the way you sell through Amazon?  I agree with the others, once people see it, I feel sure they would want to buy it.  And not just bookstores, but places where "horsey" people go like tack shops and such?  Last year Kate Tweedy and Leann Ladin did events for the Secretariat's Meadow book at our local Southern States store, and at events for the Historical Society and the Richmond Symphony. Without sounding too crass you need to get it out there where people with money hang out and will see it!

MJ42903

6/27/11

Excellent point
MarieKeister

6/27/11

I have just not gotten around to thank you for mailing my book way back in March.  It is so beautifully done I can't imagine anyone not wanting a copy.  I is interesting, not only to the horse lover but also to anyone interested in "just a good read".  Thank you so much for the lovely story of Barbaro and also the insite of other aspects of the horse world.  I will let you know of any marketing ideas that come to mind.