MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ponytales Rescue will be closing   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by Ponytale1976; 8299 views. (Closed)(Closed to new replies)
srollison

8/1/11

My name is Susan Rollison and I was one of Lauie's BOD until two weeks ago. Her desciion making made me resign last week. I have give Laurie this year alone $6263.80 between my husband and myself. I have given her 6.000.00 last year. I believe Laurie has made some bad decisions and really never discussed much with her BOD. She is good to her horses but this whinning has to stop. I just recently pucrchased tubs for the horses with hoses for her to give them water is this severe summer we are having. I just thought I would let you know where have you people been for these horses. I have been there! Laurie needs to refocus oh the horses and let them all go and close the rescue. Keeping a few will just increase the herd again and the poor decison making will start again.
In reply toRe: msg 327
srollison

8/1/11

If anyone would like some answers please e mail me. I have been there, not physically but financially. Don't hesitate to e mail me.
ProjectSage

8/1/11

Donations are needed for the transition. I need to increase my hay and grain order significantly for this beautiful crew. If you would like to help the six horses we are transferring to Project Sage

donations can be sent via paypal to projectsagehorserescue@gmail.c​om

or mailed to

Brittany Rostron

63 South Waldinger St.

Valley Stream NY 11580

Thanks so much for your support!

In reply toRe: msg 329
srollison

8/1/11

Now is the time to help Project Sage,I know I will.
ProjectSage

8/1/11

Thank you
Ponytale1976

8/1/11

Yes you have been there financially and I and the horses thank you for that.

I'm not getting into anything else, but I think it's pretty unfair to tell someone that is fighting a life threatening health condition on top of a health condition that WILL leave them paraylized at some point in their life, that they are whining.

In reply toRe: msg 332
Ponytale1976

8/1/11

Coggins tests are in.
GrandmaBeaG1

8/1/11

Laurie-what is this life threatening illness you have that none of us board members ever got to hear about?  If this is so, should you be riding a motorcycle or a horse?

There is a wonderful, beautiful STAR IN THE SKY, who carries the name BARBARO that is FOREVER, shining down on us and will NEVER, EVER go away. We treasure that star. Grandma Bea, Ladee Elizabeth, Remington Barbaro, Bashful & Mazda Gobèe
  • Edited 8/1/2011 3:24 pm ET by GrandmaBeaG1
In reply toRe: msg 334
scierra

8/1/11

For me it wasn't the post from Laurie saying she was considering euthanizing the horses, it was that she was receiving close to no assistance until that post. She has been asking for help, but until that post not many were stepping up to help. Why does it take a post about euthanizing your horses to get help here? I see it all the time on this board, healthy horses who are free or close to it over looked while $$$ are thrown at auction buys, brokers and kill buyers. Would be terrible to put down healthy horses? Yes. Would it the responsible thing to do for Ponytales? Yes. With the economy and no good homes stepping up auction would usually be the next step, and Laurie is responsible for those horses so she wouldn't let an auction be in their future. She would be doing what would be necessary to ensure they wouldn't starve or be sent to slaughter. I'm sure she agonized over it.

Now with her other posts about health issues, hers, I believe she should completely shut down the rescue. If the two horses there aren't adoptable and there is no sanctuary available to them, euth them. Walk away and take care of the personal health issues. The posts on is the rescue to close or stay open for two horses and in case any come are confusing to me. Either you are or you are not a rescue. Liquidate and walk away. It does seem odd that you are keeping your personal horses and probably riding them and riding a motorcycle with such terrible health issues. Why take that risk? I've always been a fan of Ponytales due to thinking Laurie has done it the right way. Not going to auctions and over horsing herself, or taking in everything with four hooves. Laurie has given good advice on this forum, helped others and is trying to do right by the horses she has left.

I wish Laurie all the best, but it's time to step away, some of the posts, re: personal health and no money, to getting a motorcycle (very dangerous if your health is all that precarious), rescue is closing/not completely closing, are getting confusing.

sib123

8/1/11

I agree, the rescue should close down, three horses does not make a rescue. Your health will limit your ability to help these horses. There are plenty more rescues on the board who need help. Let go Laurie and give someone else a chance. You do give good advise and you can help horses in another way. By reading these posts you have been given support it is just not working.