MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ponytales Rescue will be closing   Horse Rescue Issues

Started by Ponytale1976; 7688 views. (Closed)(Closed to new replies)
In reply toRe: msg 368
Ponytale1976

8/2/11

For the record (public record) since I have been being asked questions, this is a list of the reasons why we are trying to close down:

A) Too many horses

B) Not enough money

C) Declining health

D) Volunteer/board member sold house and is moving

E) Board member/contributor resigned

F) Marital Issues

G) Family Issues

My health is just one straw, I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry, I am asking that you just understand that the rescue is closing for a multitude of reasons and the horses are whats important.

I'm done posting on here now.

scierra

8/2/11

Laurie, Thank you for explaining how the donations work. I'm not trying to bring more grief to you. I hope you can take care of yourself not that a lot of work is gone, and I'm sure the stress level did not help you either. I hope you can find safe placement for Cappy and Kendal. That would be the best of all worlds. I hope that down the road you do not have to make the harsh decision to put them down before their time. I do believe that if that time comes it will be the only decision for you to make. We can only do what is best, for us and the animals in our care, at that time. For people in rescue there is no hanging on and waiting for the future at a certain point and decisions need to be made and carried out for the animals. There is a worse fate than a needle, if their future is in jeopardy.
jamielsg

8/2/11

Laurie, please promise me that you'll stay on ABR and post when you can........you are a friend to so many.......I'm proud to call you my Pa Sister.........some people are not satisfied until people lose arms and legs.........thank God most of us are not that diabolical..........I'm here for you.

Love, Jamie

Ponytale1976

8/2/11

On that note I wanted to make it clear that we are still looking for a permanent home for Cappy and Kendall, they are still for adoption. I just meant when I said that we would hold onto them and keep the rescue open, that we were holding onto them until they found homes, not that we were keeping them and the rescue was going to stay open indefinately.
GrandmaBeaG1

8/2/11

Hi Laurie-I have been asked and need to give an answer, if you don't mind, what is the adoption fee for Kendall and Cappy.

Thanks, Grandma Bea

There is a wonderful, beautiful STAR IN THE SKY, who carries the name BARBARO that is FOREVER, shining down on us and will NEVER, EVER go away. We treasure that star. Grandma Bea, Ladee Elizabeth, Remington Barbaro, Bashful & Mazda Gobèe
scierra

8/2/11

I did sort of read that between the lines. I do hope you can find safe placement for them. And I truly believe you will do what is best for them.

My problem has never been with you shutting the rescue, even though it did confuse me for a minute when it was closed then staying open for the couple you have left. I do understand your reasons for doing what you are doing.

My problem was even after you came forward a long time ago and asked for help placing horses not many stepped up to help you. I feel that if the shoe would have been on the other foot, and you were in a place to help another rescue you would have. Only, and only after you stated you would be forced to put the horses down, due to no homes or placement with another rescue, did the cavalry come to the rescue. It seems that it takes threatening to euth, and I know you were prepared to do it and it was not an idle threat to get attention, do people here to step up. It's sad, good people ask for help here all the time, good horses are posted for sale, free or adoption, but if they aren't on their last leg, going to slaughter or falling down from starvation they don't get a second look. The bumps do not count. I've watched this board do this time and time again. I've seen this board rally around abusers masquerading as rescues, and back horse brokers. But when one of the good guys needs help it takes someone ready to do the right thing, even if it is the hardest thing in world for an animal rescue person to do. You, at least were there for the horses of Ponytales. You were prepared to make sure they didn't go back to a bad situation.

I'm sure the stress of that has taken it's toll on you. Time to step back and take care of Cappy and Kendall, it will be like a small vacation with only the two. :-)
What's up with Franklin? He shouldn't be hard to place. If I could have an equine I would be contacting you about him. Always wanted a mule.

jamielsg

8/2/11

Thank you Deb........I like you too!

Jamie

jamielsg

8/2/11

Thank you for your work with Ponytales Rescue..........you did good!  Isn't amazing how great it makes us feel to give.......giving and fundraising fuels me to fight another day.    Again, great job..........you have a big heart Sue!

Jamie

BonBon08

8/2/11

I am sorry to see your rescue ending like this. I've known about a health problem you've had, not sure if anyone told me or if I read it about it here. That's also why I never understood why you had so many horses to care for both in your rescue and also the boarders.  Remember your family should always be first, they are the only ones that you will be able to count on if/when you health gets worse. 

Please take care of yourself. 

• Edited 8/2/2011 10:17 pm ET by BonBon08
hopelavender

8/3/11

Laurie, keep your chin up.  Economics are not good right now...everywhere

TY for bumping FTER's thread here on ABR

I remember,as I am sure some "oldies" on this forum do, when you stepped up for Lola and Bacci.  I will never forget that, among other things.

Hoping that everything works out for you, your health, your family and the horses.