MaryLOhio

The Legacy Racing Forum

Hosted by MaryLOhio

Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

In Memoriam   Horse Racing

Started 1/10/12 by Derby132; 567288 views.
gerchgo

Dec-4

Simply Ravishing’s dam has died at 13:( RIP Four Wishes, my condolences to her connections.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/255360/four-wishes-dam-of-simply-ravishing-dies-at-13

gerchgo

Dec-6

OMG! Medina Spirit has died, collapsed after his workout today. RIP MS, my condolences to his connections.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/255412/medina-spirit-collapses-dies-after-santa-anita-workout

• Edited December 6, 2021 12:36 pm  by  gerchgo
Derby132

Dec-6

So shocked to read this.  Terrible loss of a great horse.  So sudden but at least it was quick and he did not suffer.

Derby132

Dec-6

Wrong article linked in your post.

gerchgo

Dec-6

Thanks, fixed it.

So sad.:(

Flurry84

Dec-6

In the third hr. of Steve Byk he said there was something unconfirmed that was going to have a lot of impact if true.  So, guess everyone was waiting to hear.  Coming from SA.  About 11:45 he was able to inform his listeners about Medina Spirit.   Heartbreaking news about this incredible and beautiful horse.  Prayers of comfort to those who loved him.  May he rest in peace.

Amy (1pony)
Staff

Dec-6

My heart is broken for this fabulous equine and his connections. Run Free Medina. I will always remember your gutsy Derby win and no matter what they finally decide you are the 2021 Derby winner. 

cigarello

Dec-6

OMG- I just screamed and am sobbing.  I cannot believe this horrible news.  

My heart is absolutely broken into pieces

sandins

Dec-6

May be an image of horse, outdoors and text that says 'RIP Medina Spirit P/1A'just saw this, too and he ws only 3yrs.................not right............his Win should not be contested any more

pray

gerchgo

Dec-6

The most common cause of sudden death in horse athletes is a rupture of the aorta, which is the biggest artery in the body. The horse subsequently very quickly bleeds out into its chest cavity, much like Marfan's syndrome can cause in men. Some of these horses probably have an aneurysm of the aorta, or a prior weakening of the blood vessel wall, which predisposes to rupture when blood pressure increases during exercise. Research is underway to try to find the cause(s) of the underlying arterial wall weakness in certain horses.

The next most common cause is probably an arrhythmia, or abnormal heart rhythm during exercise. Arrhythmias are often triggered by adrenaline, and can be fatal because they can cause the heart to stop suddenly. Unlike aortic rupture, an autopsy performed on a horse that died from an arrhythmia would not necessarily show any abnormalities. This is because the arrhythmia is a transient electrical event which can't be seen. Other causes for sudden death in horses are less common, but include acute heart failure caused by abnormalities of the structure or function of the heart (either that the horse was born with or that the horse acquired), upper airway obstructions, or toxins.

https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-care-category/vet-topics/ask-vet-equine-heart-attacks-happen/