MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Menu

Discussion

Joe's TB Friends Daily Post   General: Horse-related

Started by Guest; 57 views.

3/9/07

Hi all - happy Friday!!

Seems like this has certainly been a week of emotions with all that has gone on. Poor Fitch and the monsters that hurt him so badly.....Pulling for Ernie to make a miracle recovery.....and patiently waiting for Rosie to introduce us all to her newborn......and all the other things that have happened lately.  The range of emotion is tiring!! But, reading Joe's journal today made me tear up all over again! This guy is one in a million, for sure. For him, it's all about the horses. And I know he's not the only one out there. There's many fine people who do what they do out of pure love - and I applaud their commitment. The world would be a MUCH nicer place if we had more people like Joe at TB Friends, and Cheri at Horse Feathers.....Miracle Horse and Shiloh, Jen and Tracy at Pure Thoughts..... and all the others I can't seem to think of right now (brain has already left for the weekend).  Bless you all for what you do!

LA

Msg 2 of 5 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 1

3/9/07

I agree

But a visit to the killer pens puts life on hold. Looking at horses who are doomed. The killer lives in a trailer, and he is watching the show Family Feud. There is a young filly, and I am almost certain she is a thoroughbred. Through the trailer window the killer tells me $400.00. There is an older gelding with a race horse tattoo, and the killer tells me $300.00. Both horses appear to weigh the same, so I know the killer is making up prices as we go. Usually I am charged by the pound. I pay in cash because horse killers will not take checks. For twenty bucks I could stop payment on a check, and the killer would not bother with our court system. The killer will only deal in cash. He is not legal in our country.

I phone Gary Duncan to come with his van. I wait in my truck and Jewels the dog is sleeping against my leg. The killer has many visitors to his small trailer. They all look at me and wave. The killer has friendly friends. From my truck I can see the horses, and one is an older chestnut mare. She watches me. I cannot watch her for obvious reasons. Horses I leave behind are loaded onto the cattle trailer, and those visions are better left unopened. But the chestnut mare. The silly chestnut mare. She will not quit staring at me. So naturally there are spiritual tugs. Is the mare watching me because she knows slaughter is her future, and I am her singular hope? Or is she only wishing for food, or maybe a carrot? Something simple in her mind. I look away, hoping she will also.
And I know in my heart that when I look at her again, if she is still staring, then I must take her home.

And of course she is still watching me. Oh great. There is only $60.00 left in my pocket. I get out of the truck and go to the mare. Her eyes do not show happiness, nor do they show fear. Only a blank stare. I lift her lip and see the racing tattoo. And old thoroughbred race horse. Her feet have recently been trimmed, and she is a wee bit thin. She rests her head on my shoulder. And sighs.

I knock on the trailer door and there is a party. Beer and cigarettes and horrible loud music. I tell the killer I want the chestnut mare also, and he says $400.00. I say I only have $60.00, but I promise to get you the rest within two days. You have my word. He hesitates. I have bought from this killer in the past, and he does not want to lose my business. A young girl, she is maybe 18, comes to the door. She speaks English. The girl tells the killer to let me have the mare. She tells him to trust me. I give the killer my $60.00, and I thank the girl. And then Gary Duncan drives up, and all three horses go into his van. On the way home my old ranch truck overheats again. Smoke from the hood. Jewels is sleeping. Song after song on the radio, no commercials, and how lucky is that? And God it is so good to be home.

And last night the chestnut mare ate a tub of sweet feed with chopped carrots and apples. I have named her Abigail. She has stolen my heart.

of course, "we" knew from the first mention of her that she would go home with him.. Joe just cannot resist! Thank you Joe

www.FriendsofTBFriends.com

Msg 3 of 5 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 2
marygran

3/9/07

OMG, thank you to Joe is not nearly enough.  If everyone had a heart as big as his, this world would be a far better place.

Mary in MD

3/9/07

Mary:  I agree...."thank you" could never be enough for what Joe and Cathy do.  I have been reading his posts (and copying them since he doesn't repost them) because he is such a beautiful and wonderful man.  And he has a great sense of humor.  I look forward to reading his posts everyday.  Yes, if there were more people like Joe and Cathy....we would definately be living as close to "Paradise" as we could possibly get.

Jeanette

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."----Marcel Proust 

Msg 5 of 5 to GuestGuest 
In reply toRe: msg 4
marygran

3/9/07

Jeanette

If only there was a way to clone both of them!  Truly, they are angels here on earth!

Mary in MD