Horse racing news, horse rescue, animal welfare

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Saratoga 2020   Horse Racing

Started Jun-6 by Derby132; 4303 views.
Derby132

Jun-6

Rumors are August 8 for the Travers.  Should be announced soon.

Jack Knowlton, head of Sackatoga Stable, suggested Saturday that Tiz the Law can thrive beyond the June 20 Belmont Stakes given the timing of this season’s other major races for 3-year-olds. That includes what he’s heard about when Saratoga’s Travers Stakes (G1) will run.

Speaking on the Horse Racing Radio Network’s Equine Forum, Knowlton said the Travers will “presumably” position three weeks before its traditional date, on Aug. 8, to create a one-month gap to the Sept. 5 Kentucky Derby. The Preakness Stakes is then scheduled for Oct. 3.

---And this - good!

The New York Racing Association, which returned to action this week at Belmont Park, hasn’t yet released a Saratoga stakes schedule, which could include one or more races that become part of the points-paying Derby prep series. Reporting for VSiN, Ron Flatter confirmed on Thursday that the Mid-Summer Derby will measure its usual 1 1/4 miles.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Tiz_the_Law_s_owner_hints_at_the_Travers_Stakes_new_date_123

gerchgo

Jun-6

The mid-Summer Derby is almost THE Derby this year!

Derby132

Jun-6

Yes!  The 2020 TC with a nice prep race at Belmont on June 20th!

Potsdam2

Jun-7

I was surprised that the Travers is not a Derby Prep race. Of course, what *are* the Triple Crown races this this year? Still the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont? (Or should I say, Belmont, Derby, and Preakness).

gerchgo

Jun-19

See previous post for Saratoga Stakes schedule, Travers Aug 8

Derby132

Jun-19

Woodward goes from 9f to 1 1/4 mile.  Yes!!
gerchgo

Jun-19

Great! I haven’t yet read the whole schedule, just posted.

Derby132

Jun-22

Yep.  Mile and a quarter!