Al Jolson Forum

Hosted by AJrecs|www.jolson.org

Devoted to Al Jolson, the World's Greatest Entertainer, who was first on Broadway, Film, Radio, and the hearts of millions.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Godfrey Peacock   General Discussion

Started Oct-2 by Bognor1967; 1133 views.
In reply toRe: msg 5
Bognor1967

Nov-5

The reason Godfrey imposed the no singing till after 9pm was at the request of a large number of attendees.  They asked for a period of relative quiet from the Jolson impersonators, karaoke and others,

to enable them to chat to friends and make new aquaintances before the music started.  Many attendees not only wanted to hear the singers but a chance to chat to people there, many of whom they had not seen since the previous years' Bromley meeting.  In an effort to please this request Godfrey brought in his not till after 9pm rule - it had nothing to do with the hotel's rules.  He learnt to his cost that despite trying to please ALL attendees and cater for everybody's requirements he found out that you can't please all of the people all of the time. He made his rule with the best of intentions and  personal attacks on him in this respect I feel are totally unfair and give the IAJS a bad name.

DCM10

Nov-6

Bognor1967

Godfrey Peacock stated to me on more than one occasion, and to others, that the 9pm rule was a hotel rule - it clearly wasn’t. If he had received requests from “a large number of attendees” for a period of quiet then he should have been honest and given that as a reason not made up stories about non existent hotel rules. Honesty is always the best policy in my opinion. 

The Bromley meetings nowadays open the doors officially at 7pm though Jolson music is usually playing from well before then. Attendees have never asked me to turn the music or singing off so that they can chat, on the contrary they ask for requests. Attendees tend to drink and chat happily with old and new friends while the music is playing. 

David

JolsonWGE

Nov-6

Full marks to you for trying to defend your friend Bognor 1967 BUT I don’t believe a word of it. Godfrey Peacock loved his rules and regulations. He simply loved to dictate to members and you had to do what he said. It was his attitude and rudeness that drove members away from attending Bromley, my wife and I included. It was Peacock himself that told members that it was hotel rules that no singing was allowed and I was there when he said it. 

chris282

Nov-8

Bognor1967 said:

He made his rule with the best of intentions and  personal attacks on him in this respect I feel are totally unfair and give the IAJS a bad name.

Don’t be silly, personal attacks indeed. You raised the name of Godfrey Peacock Bognor1967 and you shouldn’t be surprised that some of us don’t hold him in high regard. We have the right to hold opinions that differ to yours. Nobody is attaching him, we just don’t like or respect him. Fact is that Godfrey Peacock was dragging down the Bromley meetings with his dictatorial rules and regulations and his doom and gloom introductions. He drove people away from the Jolson meetings in Bromley. Now THAT in my opinion was what was giving the IAJS a bad name! 

KVNDV1

Nov-20

I take it this was the same Dennis Sykes cited by Michael Freedland in his JOLSON biography?

--Your Pal for Al, KEVIN

chris282

Nov-21

Yes, the same Dennis Sykes. It was an ugly confrontation in front of us all. A couple of years later several of the members asked Peacock to let Dennis back but to no avail. It made no difference what the members wanted, Peacock’s word had to be obeyed. Horrible little man.

In reply toRe: msg 12
JolsonWGE

Nov-22

I fondly remember Dennis Sykes, he was a nice chap and very knowledgeable about Al Jolson. Did he ever return to the Bromley Jolson meetings?

DCM10

Nov-23

Yes, Dennis cSykes ame back to Bromley. I contacted Dennis after I took over the Bromley Jolson Festivals and invited him to return. He returned much to the pleasure of the regular attendees who made him very welcome. He wasn’t with us this year as he now finds the journey too much st his age. 

David

In reply toRe: msg 14
JolsonWGE

Nov-26

Thanks for the update. I’m pleased that Dennis was allowed to attend the Bromley meetings again. 

Another person I fondly remember was Les Kaye. He stopped attending Bromley many years ago. Did he ever return? He always came with a helper called Eddie if I remember correctly. Good memories of some great Jolson meetings. 

DCM10

Nov-26

JolsonWGE said:

Another person I fondly remember was Les Kaye. He stopped attending Bromley many years ago. Did he ever return? He always came with a helper called Eddie if I remember correctly. Good memories of some great Jolson meetings. 

It’s been many years since Les Kaye attended a Bromley meeting. I’ve no idea why he stopped attending, I’ll try to remember to ask him next time I see him. The person who used to come with Les was Eddie Stubbins. I often see Eddie and I know that he would dearly love to come to the Jolson Festivals again but his health is an issue nowadays. 

David