Al Jolson Forum

Hosted by AJrecs|www.jolson.org

Devoted to Al Jolson, the World's Greatest Entertainer, who was first on Broadway, Film, Radio, and the hearts of millions.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Brian Conley   General Discussion

Started Nov-29 by chris282; 355 views.
chris282

Nov-29

Brian Conley was on a program in UK tonight called Celebrity Antiques Road Trip. He actually mentioned Al Jolson twice. First reference was very brief in a run down of his career. He mentioned playing Jolson for three years in the UK and Canada. He also said that he was proud to have won the Olivier award for the show. Second mention came when he had to put white gloves on to examine a rare item. He couldn’t resist saying that he wore white gloves when he played Al Jolson. 

Nice that he mentioned Jolson albeit briefly

Bognor1967

Dec-5

Nice to hear that Chris 282.  Whilst he loved playing Jolson on stage and was determined to use the blackface, he has received a lot of "racist accusations". As a result he does tread carefully these days when mentioning Jolson too often, obviously in case it can harm his future career and the living he needs to make in show business.

JolsonWGE

Dec-7

Hadn't heard that Brian Conley had received ‘a lot of racist accusations’ for his portrayal of Al Jolson. Where did you read about this Bognor1967?

Bognor1967

Dec-9

Hi, As a close personal friend of his he told me personally backstage in his dressing room after seeing him in pantomime but he naturally wouldn't want to publicise it

chris282

Dec-9

Bognor1967 said:

Hi, As a close personal friend of his he told me personally backstage in his dressing room after seeing him in pantomime but he naturally wouldn't want to publicise it

Sorry, am I missing something. You say that you are a close personal friend of Brian Conley and he wouldn’t want to publicise that he’s received racist comments about his appearance as Al Jolson. Haven’t you done just that on a public forum?