Al Jolson Forum

Hosted by AJrecs|www.jolson.org

Devoted to Al Jolson, the World's Greatest Entertainer, who was first on Broadway, Film, Radio, and the hearts of millions.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Jolson Festival 2018   General Discussion

Started 9/24/17 by JolsonWGE; 1459 views.
DCM10

9/28/17

JolsonWGE said:

I still think it might be better to fly direct to New York for a week then travel to Hartford for the Festival.  Is that what you intend doing?

I've no idea what I'm doing yet. There are lots of options and I will look more seriously at them in November/December after I've spoken to Jon Sonneborn at the Bromley Jolson Festival next month.

David

JolsonWGE

10/1/17

Thank you for the informatio Jon. So far I've found Aer Lingus flights to be very expensive, and Davids thoughts (msg 9) of flying into one airport and coming back from another is also working out expensive. I'll keep on looking at different options before making a firm decision. 

DCM10

1/6/18

Jan

I've been looking at a number of options for traveling to the Jolson Festival in May but the easiest WAS to fly direct to Hartford and I've booked my flights accordingly. I will arrive on 16th May, flying home on 24th. Hoping to get into New York after the Festival finishes on Sunday 20th IF I can find a reasonable hotel suitable for sightseeing.

David

In reply toRe: msg 13
JolsonWGE

1/9/18

I found flights using Aer Lingus, which is the only Airline flying to Hartford, to be very expensive. There’s nothing really of interest to see in Hartford itself so I’d need to add another cost to fly to New York or Boston. Hotels in New York (my favoured place to visit) are ridiculously expensive so looking at the trip logically from a purely financial point of view, I won’t be going. 

DCM10

1/9/18

Sorry that you cannot join us in Hartford in May. Yes, flights are expensive but there is/was another option to using Aer Lingus and that is to fly with Norwegian Airlines from Edinburgh. Norwegian Airlines were a lot cheaper last time I looked but of course you have the hassle of getting to Edinburgh from wherever you live. As to internal flights from Hartford to New York, I’m looking to travel by Greyhound Bus instead of flying, which is much cheaper and I’ll see more of the country. Far better to be sitting in a bus than sitting in an airport waiting for flights. Nothing you can do about New York hotels - the ARE expensive. 

In reply toRe: msg 15
JolsonWGE

1/12/18

I didn’t know about the Norwegian flights from Edinburgh, none of my online searches came up with that option. Pity you didn’t post about Norwegian flights before, it was another option I might have considered. 

On reflection the whole trip is just too awkward and too expensive so I won’t be going.