Al Jolson Forum

Hosted by AJrecs|www.jolson.org

Devoted to Al Jolson, the World's Greatest Entertainer, who was first on Broadway, Film, Radio, and the hearts of millions.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Godfrey Peacock   General Discussion

Started Oct-2 by Bognor1967; 377 views.
JolsonWGE

Oct-3

Bognor1967 said:

I know that everyone will be pleased to learn that a loyal member of the Society for many years is still going strong in his 90's

Please don’t assume that ‘everyone’ will be pleased to hear about Godfrey Peacock. I found him rude and condescending at the Bromley gatherings and he was one of the main reasons I and several others stopped going to those meetings. He bored people with his doom and gloom introductions and behaved like a little dictator. My wife, who was a very tolerant lady couldn’t stand him, mostly for the disrespectful way he spoke to me and other members at the meetings.

I’m pleased that any Jolson fan is still alive at 91 years of age but let’s not forget that Peacock wanted to close down the popular Bromley Jolson meetings rather than let someone else take over the running of those functions. 

chris282

Oct-7

Where you at the Bromley meetings where Peacock refused to allow any singing until HE gave the word that it was ok ?? 

JolsonWGE

Oct-8

Yes I was. It was a standing joke that you weren't allowed to sing at the Saturday night karaoke until given permission to do so. Don't know if that was the hotel rules, which is what we were told at the time, or Godfrey Peacock making up his own rules. 

DCM10

Oct-9

When I took over the running of the Bromley event I asked the hotel what time we were allowed to start playing music on the Saturday evening as I had also been told the same as you - the hotel didn’t allow music and singing until after a certain time. It wasn’t true - we could play music or sing all day long if we wanted. 

Dont know why Peacock made those silly statements - there were no restrictions other than what he imposed. 

David

In reply toRe: msg 5
chris282

Oct-18

Thanks for confirming that the ‘no singing until after 9 o’clock’ was just a Peacock rule. Silly way to behave in my opinion but I remember how he liked to dominate the day on the Sunday. I was there when he stormed to the front of the room during a talk on Jolson for a very public row with Dennis Sykes. I believe that he then banned Dennis from future Jolson meetings though not sure if it was an official ban. Dennis certainly didn’t attend the Bromley meetings again after that. Dennis Sykes was a mainstay of the old meetings in West Wickham and very knowledgeable on Jolson.