The Socially-Engaged Human -  Reaching the non-urban Americans (455 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Lionheart16 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-16 1:13 PM 
To: oldmillot  (1 of 36) 

I drove from New York to Ohio over the weekend to attend a friend's wedding. As I was driving, I turned on my radio to listen to the local radio broadcasts. What I discovered is that, for the vast majority of the communities I have driven through, the radio shows revolve primarily around religious themes. There were preachers preaching, religious music, evangelical talk shows, etc. There was also a Catholic program which talked about a monk's ascetic life.

I am a secular person. Religious programming does not necessarily turn me off. I am actually interested in finding out how different people think and what their values are like. But I was shocked that, for a big part of America, life still seems to center on religion, especially Christianity. The only instance where I found non-religious art and culture was when I tuned in to the local college stations. There was, for example, wpsu, which is operated by Penn State. There were some pop music stations too, but usually of low quality and not refined.

This helps me put the recent political development in perspective. A big part of the American public does not think like coastal people. Religion holds sway among these non-urban people, If liberals are to have any influence among such groups, they will have to find a way to reach them through some media which is down-to-earth and daily life-oriented. The traditional religions have effective ways to reach these groups. But the secular institutions don't have effective access. Some kind of intellectual talk about economics will probably give the rural groups a headache and they will not understand. On the other hand, talks about faith, morality and spirituality are easy to understand. This will remain to be a problem unless there is some breakthrough.

My recent trip reaffirms my belief that the non-urban people are mostly good-hearted people. They should not be alienated, demonized or mocked. But the liberal media need to find a creative way to reach them. I am just thinking to myself, if matters such as faith, morality and spirituality can reach these groups, it is crucial to seek the help of the Christian Left. In other words, use some kind of traditional theme, but introduced an alternative way to look at things. The liberal side needs better storytelling.

Reply   Options 

From: Lionheart16 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-16 1:13 PM 
To: CoachDonSul DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 36) 
 17260.2 in reply to 17260.1 

Any thoughts, Don?

To: Lionheart16 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 36) 
 17260.3 in reply to 17260.1 

The lesson learned by the Right wing from Watergate was to control the media. In the subsequent decades,  wealthy right wingers have bought up the local radio and TV stations across America. While lower power radio and TV stations have been acquired by a lot of evangelical/fundamentalist religious broadcasters, the more powerful stations with the strongest signals have been acquired by a relatively few far right wealthy extremists.

Throughout most of the American Heartland, all of the broadcast media, other than NPR and PBS, is owned and controlled by right wingers with a definite political and social agenda of manipulating the minds of their audience. They always claim that they are just giving the people what they want to see and hear. But even in a very red state like Oklahoma  there is a sizable minority of Democrats, at least 30 percent. Yet, that 30 percent has no radio of TV stations that support their point of view. And the local NPR and PBS stations, usually connected to a university, are under constant pressure to conform their programming to the right wing agenda. If the station owners were truly just trying to make money and not serve as a propaganda machine for the right wing, there would be at least one TV or radio station focused on serving the interests of that 30 percent. But, no such stations are allowed to exist. All TV and radio stations conform  to the right wing propaganda agenda.

Likewise, local newspapers, those that still exist, were all acquired by wealthy right wingers. So, throughout most of the American Heartland, there is no alternative media to Protestant Evangelical/Fundamentalist or right wing reactionary propaganda. Music stations are country western. Talk radio is Rush Limpballs and his clones or Sports talk. 

The pup used to travel a great deal before he retired, often driving a small truck back and forth across America, sometimes literally from coast coast. The pooch would turn his radio dial from one NPR station to another. They were almost always at the lower end of the radio dial where stations were once reserved for university and other non-profit FM radio stations in the early years of FM radio. The programming on the local "educational radio" stations varies significantly. Not all are part of the NPR network. Some do a great deal of locally produced programming. Some focus on classical music. Some focus on NPR news and talk shows. Some focus on jazz and blues. Some do folk music or ethnic music such as polka bands! All sorts!  

But there were often long stretches in the rural West where FM stations did not exist and the only programming one could find on the dial were the high powered AM radio stations. That often meant that the pooch had to listen to Rush Limpballs or nothing at all. So, often it was nothing at all. 

What one has to realize that there is no alternative informational mass media to the right wing propaganda throughout most of Red State America. In such places if one does not have access to the Internet and if one doesn't search out alternative media on line, then one is constantly brainwashed by right wing propaganda without any comment or criticism. There are no other points of view out there. On TV the only news they watch is Fox News! Go to a barber shop, sit in a doctor's waiting room, sit in a room waiting for an oil change or a car repair, all you see on the TV is Fox News. 

One also has to note that just because there is a lot of Evangelical/Fundamentalist religious media in Heartland America, it doesn't mean that there is any less sinning going on. It just means that hypocrisy is a way of life. Sinning like crazy from Monday through Saturday and shouting hallelujah and crying crocodile tears as a sinner come Sunday morning. Doing "bad things" is so much more fun when it isn't just bad, but is also sinful! They get saved every Sunday and then go out and sin again each and every Monday. They like to wallow in guilty behavior, but also enjoy "getting away with being bad." The religious group with the highest rate of divorce in America is the Evangelical/Fundamentalist Protestants. 

When the pooch used to travel he always liked to tune in to the most eccentric local radio stations. There was a great Black Gospel radio station in St. Louis that the pooch always liked to tune in when he was driving through town. Often it wasn't just the Black Gospel singing but the preaching...."put your hands on the radio!" 

Also there was a weird FM station in Pittsburgh that featured a lot of polka music. The pup remembers listening to the Ukrainian Hour once where the host for the show went into an impassioned tirade about the damned Polish! An outrageous bit of hate speech. Apparently, Polish solders had killed his Mother in the fighting following the First World War. He was still filled with hate about it in the 1980's and was venting his anger on the radio. 

Eventually, folks got tape players, CDs and MP3 players and don't have to turn the radio dial. They now listen to whatever they want to hear. Unfortunately, a lot of if is crap. But, everyone to their own taste. 

Arf!

From: Lionheart16 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-16 5:00 PM 
To: oldmillot  (4 of 36) 
 17260.4 in reply to 17260.3 

oldmillot said...

Throughout most of the American Heartland, all of the broadcast media, other than NPR and PBS, is owned and controlled by right wingers with a definite political and social agenda of manipulating the minds of their audience. They always claim that they are just giving the people what they want to see and hear. But even in a very red state like Oklahoma  there is a sizable minority of Democrats, at least 30 percent. Yet, that 30 percent has no radio of TV stations that support their point of view. And the local NPR and PBS stations, usually connected to a university, are under constant pressure to conform their programming to the right wing agenda. If the station owners were truly just trying to make money and not serve as a propaganda machine for the right wing, there would be at least one TV or radio station focused on serving the interests of that 30 percent. But, no such stations are allowed to exist. All TV and radio stations conform  to the right wing propaganda agenda.

Yes, we may say that the Religious Right tries to monopolize the media.  But on the other hand, part of their success has to do with the fact that it is much easier to reach people through their hearts instead of through their heads.  As a math teacher, I know that very few people get higher math.  Their brains are just not built for processing highly abstract material.  Yet, most people have no trouble understanding love, shame, fear, etc.

Apparently, the problem has to do with the fact that the majority of the people still have a caveman's brain.  When you start talking about math, economics, or environmental science, you lose a lot of people.  But people can understand stories of fear, guilt, sin, love and redemption.  It seems that the "enlightened" people are bound to lose.

Scary thoughts.

From: Lionheart16 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-16 5:02 PM 
To: Ishmael112  (5 of 36) 
 17260.5 in reply to 17260.4 

What do you think, Ishmael?

To: Lionheart16 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 36) 
 17260.6 in reply to 17260.4 

Propaganda works! And money can purchase the means of spreading propaganda and suppressing the spread of non-propaganda. 

Arf!

To: Lionheart16 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 36) 
 17260.7 in reply to 17260.5 

Since you ask, Ken, 

I think the religious right is a very broad social movement which is not particularly well organized.   It is not coherent enough to have a medial policy.   However, it has so many members that it is bound to get some coverage on the media.   There are other similar groups; many individuals participate in more than one and the boundaries of all are fuzzy.   

As far as higher math goes , mathematics is very abstract.   It is difficult for anyone to understand and understanding it takes a lot of effort and self discipline.   I do think there are people who, were they properly prepared, can understand it  but they are never given an opportunity to prepare themselves, either the background or the study skills they need to learn it.   And of course many don’t need to understand it.  

I would define “higher math” as calculus and beyond although perhaps analytic geometry should be consider higher math.   You have commented on your difficulties getting people to understand plane geometry.   I don’t doubt the problems you have had; however I don’t see plane geometry as higher math.   

From: Lionheart16 DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-16 7:01 PM 
To: DARWINIA  (8 of 36) 
 17260.8 in reply to 17260.1 

What do you think, Darwinia?

To: oldmillot  (9 of 36) 
 17260.9 in reply to 17260.3 

oldmillot said...

Go to a barber shop, sit in a doctor's waiting room, sit in a room waiting for an oil change or a car repair, all you see on the TV is Fox News. 

In the cable market place, Fox news is available as a non premium channel that is freely available to everyone. And Rupert Murdock lost money on Fox News for many years following this policy to build market share. Their market has a lot  cheap old farts unwilling to seek premium news sources to cross check there personal assumptions.

oldmillot said...

Eventually, folks got tape players, CDs and MP3 players and don't have to turn the radio dial. They now listen to whatever they want to hear. Unfortunately, a lot of if is crap. But, everyone to their own taste. 

From what I notice is  that people can create their own media bubble now. At least until the rest of the world is no longer able to be suppressed.

To: BWArtist DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 36) 
 17260.10 in reply to 17260.9 

From what the pup sees a lot of folks, mostly old farts, are addicted to watching Fox News. They have the TV on all day tuned to Fox News. With a lot of folks, short term memory is a problem, so it always looks new and fresh to them!

The next step after watching Fox News all day is turning to the Weather Channel all day. When you have reached that stage, the end is near. Arf!

The pup is very much happy to live in his own media bubble. The mass media that is available and consumed by most folks around Central Oklahoma is crap. At least the pooch can be selective and not have to put up with the propaganda and manure by planting his thorn bushes around the cloisters of Millot Priory. That is until the noise from the outside world is no longer able to be suppressed. 

Arf!

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-36
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | About Delphi
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.