Crimes and Courts -  Virginia Tech 10 Years Later: (26 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-16 5:30 PM 
To: All  (1 of 3) 

Virginia Tech 10 Years Later: When Campus Safety Changed Forever

Kristina Anderson has learned to decipher very quickly how much a college or university values campus safety.

"Quite frankly, it's easy," says the 29-year-old survivor of the April 16, 2007, shooting at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, which left 32 students and faculty members dead.

Anderson counts how many clicks it takes for her to navigate from the school's homepage to information about emergency protocols, behavioral intervention resources and how to report anything or anyone suspicious.

For some schools, like Virginia Tech, there's an entire campus safety section linked directly from the homepage, complete with a letter from the president. For others, it takes six or seven clicks. And then there are those that make it nearly impossible to find such information.

"The biggest oversight that schools are making is the level of how fully they think through their training and education of workplace violence issues to their faculty, staff and students," Anderson says. "Campus safety does not get prominent or equal exposure during orientation. Fifteen minutes at the start of your freshman year is not the answer."

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2017-04-14/virginia-tech-10-years-later-whats-changed-on-campuses-since-the-2007-shooting?src=usn_tw

photo shortyinlove_marti.gif

From: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member IconApr-17 3:35 PM 
To: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 3) 
 5089.2 in reply to 5089.1 

MAYBE as much as the UT Tower shooter in 1966?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Texas_tower_shooting

Warren

USCG Engineer 1961-1982

Reply   Options 

From: Wee Shorty McNaughty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-17 3:44 PM 
To: Bike (URALTOURIST1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 3) 
 5089.3 in reply to 5089.2 

I remember when that happened, I was about 10, and I remember being horrified someone could do t hat sort of thing;  

photo shortyinlove_marti.gif

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | About Delphi
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.