Crimes and Courts -  Feds bust major college admissions scam (398 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-12 1:01 PM 
To: All  (1 of 111) 

Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin among several charged in nationwide college admissions cheating scam

Hollywood actresses Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin and a slew of chief executives are among 50 wealthy people charged in the largest college cheating scam ever prosecuted by the U.S. Department of Justice, federal officials said Tuesday.

Those indicted in the investigation dubbed "Varsity Blues" allegedly paid bribes of up to $6 million to get their children into elite colleges, including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and the University of Southern California, federal prosecutors said.

"This case is about the widening corruption of elite college admissions through the steady application of wealth combined with fraud," Andrew Lelling, the U.S. attorney for the District of Massachusetts, said at a news conference Tuesday.

"There can be no separate college admissions system for the wealthy and, I'll add, there will not be a separate criminal justice system either," Lelling added.

He said the ring leader of the scam is allegedly William Singer, owner of a college counseling service called Key Worldwide Foundation, who accepted bribes totaling $25 million from parents between 2011 and 2018 "to guarantee their children's admission to elite schools."

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/actresses-ceos-arrested-nationwide-college-admissions-cheating-scam-142252158--abc-news-topstories.html

From: krathyn1 (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-12 1:40 PM 
To: Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 111) 
 5740.2 in reply to 5740.1 

the wealthy always think they can get away with anything! 

Of course somewhere someone is typing, 

the poor always think they can get away with anything!

Reply   Options 

From: Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-12 1:46 PM 
To: krathyn1 (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 111) 
 5740.3 in reply to 5740.2 

People are always thinking that, rich and poor.

From: krathyn1 (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-12 1:51 PM 
To: Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 111) 
 5740.4 in reply to 5740.3 

well these people should not have gotten away with that.

From: Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-12 1:53 PM 
To: krathyn1 (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 111) 
 5740.5 in reply to 5740.4 

No, and I'm glad they got caught.   They have the money to pay, just too greedy and cheap.

From: krathyn1 (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-12 1:58 PM 
To: Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 111) 
 5740.6 in reply to 5740.5 

they will never know who would have gotten into those colleges legitamately perhaps most of them would have.

From: Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-12 1:59 PM 
To: krathyn1 (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 111) 
 5740.7 in reply to 5740.6 

I think you are right

From: krathyn1 (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-12 2:11 PM 
To: Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 111) 
 5740.8 in reply to 5740.7 

Before WWI, in my grandfather's day, if someone had a family that was just like that of the Kaiser, the last one would go free to college.
My grandfather came from such a family, near the oldest though, of thirteen boys and one girl and the youngest being a boy, the second youngest being the girl.
By the time that boy was old enough to go to college, there was no Kaiser any more and that coupon was no longer valid. 
The youngest boy came to the States and changed the spelling of his name. He learned English and had his high school equivalency at a night school (replaced by GED years later.) The girl came to the states, married a US national and did well for herself . Both had families I
met as cousins. My own grandfather came to the States He had the equivalent of an eighth grade education, married a woman who had been to high school in the US, and started their family.
In my day it was scholarships, the GI bill, and financial aid. Often the last consisted of unpayable loans. Still people went to college who qualified... 
I just think it is interesting what people will do to go to college.

From: Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-13 1:35 PM 
To: krathyn1 (Phantom7031) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 111) 
 5740.9 in reply to 5740.8 

It's sad, some good people who qualified were turned away for these greedy idiot.

Update coming

From: Shrinking Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-13 1:37 PM 
To: All  (10 of 111) 
 5740.10 in reply to 5740.9 

College Admissions Fallout Spreads

Lori Loughlin is expected to appear in federal court in Los Angeles at 2 p.m. Wednesday to face her charges in connection to a college admissions scandal that has rocked the nation. She was taken into custody by the FBI on Wednesday morning, according to law enforcement sources.

Loughlin's husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, along with Hollywood actress Felicity Huffman are expected to appear in a Boston federal court later this month.

Huffman, Giannulli, Loughlin and 47 other people were indicted by the U.S. attorney’s office in Boston and the FBI on Tuesday for the alleged widespread fraud. Dubbed "Operation Varsity Blues," the scheme involved parents paying others to take their children’s SAT or ACT exam or get their children admitted into high-profile universities as recruited athletes.

The wealthy parents would then use the payments as charitable tax write-offs, according to court documents.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/Felicity-Huffman-Mossimo-Giannulli-Gamal-Abdelaziz-Boston-federal-Court-Date-507088011.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_NYBrand

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 ... 91-100 101-110 111
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.