MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Why does everybody think their religion is the only truth?

Started 4/16/17 by HWPeeler (HPeeler); 1210 views.

Religion is all fiction for control!

Christianity can be of some comfort to some, it can also be very damaging and repressive, an insidious form of mind control that has led to blind acceptance of serfdom, poverty, and war throughout history.

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Sep-17

Welcome to the forum.

I would not limit this to Christianity. Most religions are this way.

Yes, it is about control. Imagining the masses are not capable of controlling themselves and that the wise must control them. For the most part this may be true that many people do not do well in controlling their lives. Should we rely on politics to control people? Is religion a controlling interest that does not conflict with politics?

The power of the Pope does not conflict with the kings of many nations, but what king rules very long without the support of the Pope. Republicans and Democrats both praise "God and Christ" in America. Presidents have been many religions but no "there is no god" atheists that I can think of.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Sep-20

Sybyl (flybyss) said:

Great thought, so why not just enjoy life as it is, without asking so many puzzling questions truly. 

Because I love the puzzling questions.  From debating faith through to watching Cassini's swan dive into Saturn.  Our curiosity is our best trait.  Without it there would be no religion, science, mathematics, medicine and space exploration. 

"Why?" is a child's question, but it stays with us until death.

As it should.

Cheers,

Jenifer

Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Sep-20

Bush Schizo

HAH!

I never thought I'd see a day when George W Bush seemed reasonable by comparison.

History Repeated (Bushschizo) said:

Christianity can be of some comfort to some, it can also be very damaging and repressive, an insidious form of mind control that has led to blind acceptance of serfdom, poverty, and war throughout history.

That can be said of all religions.  But we mostly fight over land, resources and power.  Ending religion would not stop wars.  What's the saying?  Religion doesn't kill people, people kill people.

With guns.

Cheers,

Jenifer

Clothahump

Oct-6

HWPeeler (HPeeler) said...

All of mankind's religions are nothing but myths he imagines or writes.

Actually, they are nothing more than massive con games.  And dangerous to boot.

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Oct-6

A warm welcome back. I haven't seen you in a while.

Clothahump

Oct-6

HWPeeler (HPeeler) said...

A warm welcome back. I haven't seen you in a while.

Thank you.  Been busy with life, etc.  Had several students flooded out by Harvey and we are just barely scraping by in the school.

Oh well - life happens when you make other plans, right!