MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

Why does everybody think their religion is the only truth?

Started Apr-16 by HWPeeler (HPeeler); 98 views.
HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Apr-16

"I read the bible and God told me the true meaning of ..."

B.S. Everybody has the same thought, just different details. Man does not ... can not ... know God if there is one. All of mankind's religions are nothing but myths he imagines or writes. I see no reason to believe any one of them are true.

Contrast this "God told me ..." attitude with a room full of PhDs at a science convention deciding the truth of the world of science facts. Can we compare this with a convention of bishops deciding what view of Christianity is correct? Both groups are life-long experts in their respective fields. In many cases some members may even overlap between groups.

Dang! So many good questions.

The scientists do not assume their initial beliefs are true. Beliefs are tested and debated before moving out of the realm of "just a thought". How did the concept of the Trinity come about? Debated? I assume so. Tested? Only based on how they interpret passages of the bible.

The error is human. Do we honestly question a belief or selectively accept only the observations that support our belief? The error is certainly there in religions but we also find it among those in science. We do find scientists among the religious.

And what if some higher power call 'dog' oops I mean 'God'  was up there in some cloud, and looked down on us and laughing his a.s.s-off and mumbling with his Scotch glass in his hand (mostly in his stomach and going into his brain)... and saying: "look at these fools - they are all killing for my higher-beings, it's so much fun"... that beats watching the boring cops and robbers on the Tele...

laughing

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Apr-21

:-). :-)

Worth two smilies.

WELL thanks, at least it's a true story, we guys often mumble at the pub, most of the time when we talk about these man-slaughtering and moronic gangs killing for him... and thanks for being honest and not living in fictional claptrap!

relaxed

Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Apr-22

Not everyone is a Universalist Community Church member, most have definite preferences and thinking YOURS is best is very normal.

CIVILIZED practitioners of faith movements admit that no one or no thing is inalterably perfect and make allowances for those not as smart or wise as they.

HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Apr-22

Okay, so not everybody thinks so.

Sybyl (flybyss)

Apr-24

"I read the bible and God told me the true meaning of ..."

I've also read the bible and God told me the true meaning of how to become a joker and fool everyone with mambo-jumbo! 

blush